Bitdefender, other antivirus, or don't bother?

uncaged74

Jul 20, 2017
Visit site
With my new purchase and return to the Android world with my new Samsung S8+ and trying to learn all I can, there are things I see here and there that has me thinking of installing an antivirus on my phone.

With the IPhones it's really not a concern, but being that Droids are much like Windows in some ways, I am thinking maybe I should.

Being in IT and dealing with all the stuff I do day to day I can say the following:
I do NOT like: Symantec, Norton, & McAffee

I have grown fond of Viper and Bitdefender.

So, first let me ask should I even bother? 2nd if I should install something I am partial to Bit Defender but open to other options.

Lastly, I located BitDefender on the web saying $14.99 (don't know if that is yearly or what) but then it said you can go into apps and find it and it's howing there as free but iffy about the logo doesn't match IMHO or maybe I am being a bit paranoid.

I forgot to add I use Malwarebytes a lot but only for manual scans not active protection and it works quite well. Thinking I can buy the active protection option. Thoughts on that?

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I think it's unnecessary. I've been using Android phones since 2013 and I've never used antivirus and have never had an issue getting viruses or anything. If it gives you peace of mind, I think it's fine but I honestly don't feel that it's worth it. Just my opinion.

claykin

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
if you stick to apps from the play store you really don't need antivirus. In the 4 years I'm using Android, all my phones have had Lookout Premium (provided by TMobile). Never has lookout detected anything on my phones.

if you're the type that will install apps outside the play store, antivirus may be a good choice for you.

I've read some people claim that since not all Android phones are patched quickly, antivirus should be used....however as with most vulnerabilities, if one is exploited odds are the antivirus will be rendered useless, just like most windows vulnerabilities.

Doug Moffat

Aug 21, 2016
Visit site
I'm a novice but it seems that unless you're sideloading apps or browsing adult sites that a virus program is unnecessary. I've used them and never seem to have benefited.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
It is 100% unnecessary unless you're doing stupid things. If you're aware of common sense defense and aren't going out of your way to install shady stuff you'll be more than fine.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
It is 100% unnecessary unless you're doing stupid things. If you're aware of common sense defense and aren't going out of your way to install shady stuff you'll be more than fine.

Or doing alot of "Christmas Shopping" on your phone. Right Aquila? ;)

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I actually feel those apps to be malware

Never ever used one and I also know what I'm doing. If you take general precautions like not side loading, installing apps out of playstore unless you know what that APK is going and is from a trusted source etc. Also, practicing general safe browsing habits etc you should be fine.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I actually feel those apps to be malware

Never ever used one and I also know what I'm doing. If you take general precautions like not side loading, installing apps out of playstore unless you know what that APK is going and is from a trusted source etc. Also, practicing general safe browsing habits etc you should be fine.

Many of them are adware.

anon(7894520)

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
no, no, no. get something useful such as a good ad-blocker app (not browser extension) or a good VPN which will also provide defense against malicious web-sites and such instead.

every other service such as phone tracking and app scanning is either provided by google or your OEM, or both.