Lovin the new update hiding the navigation bar

jmk32

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Just got the new update from Verizon today that enables the little button next to the nav bar so you can hide it in apps.

Makes my browser, inbox, Facebook, etc feel a LOT bigger on the screen. Nice to be able to fully maximize the huge screen on the S8+.

Only gripe is that I'd like the nav bar to disappear on the camera as those buttons are more likely to get accidentally pressed in that app (especially if you give the phone to someone else not used to having nav buttons (like iPhone users) to take a pic.)

Otherwise it works on most apps I've tested and loving it!

abbeyglen

Jul 22, 2017
Visit site
Hi,

Yeah, makes a big difference as you can see the full screen in all its splendid beauty when browsing etc

My only surprise is that you guys are just getting that update now, I got that update over a month a go in fact got another update (July security, camera and wireless charging 750 mb) just a few days ago.

I'm in Uk with unlocked S8 Plus, you would think that they could roll out these updates much quicker to everyone.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

Yeah, makes a big difference as you can see the full screen in all its splendid beauty when browsing etc

My only surprise is that you guys are just getting that update now, I got that update over a month a go in fact got another update (July security, camera and wireless charging 750 mb) just a few days ago.

I'm in Uk with unlocked S8 Plus, you would think that they could roll out these updates much quicker to everyone.
The carriers here make that impossible. Although, the July security update was included with the update for Verizon.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Not just the carriers. The US unlocked version hasn't got the update yet but all major carriers except At&t has it.
Yeah I would be willing to bet that the carriers have an agreement or something in place that says they get updates before the unlocked version in America since they have more sales or something. That's why I don't buy the unlocked version. There's no real benefit that I can see.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
But if it hides?
Still shouldn't take away options due to a less then 1% chance of the backlight not deteriorating uniformly. Not everyone hides the nav bar, myself included. The colors they gave us stand a better chance of burn in than uneven light deterioration.

I found lots of problems swiping the nav bar back up when I'm an area that allows text so I don't hide it.

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
It's a great function, I'm used to it now.
With Nova launcher I can make the status bar and the nav bár transparent, so I see my wallpaper in full!

mary beth hale

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Yeah I would be willing to bet that the carriers have an agreement or something in place that says they get updates before the unlocked version in America since they have more sales or something. That's why I don't buy the unlocked version. There's no real benefit that I can see.

I'll cite a real world benefit of purchasing unlocked.
Have been using unlocked phones for years with a Straight Talk AT&T SIM. Recently moved to an area where AT&T reception was poor and Verizon ruled.
I got a CDMA kit from StraightTalk, popped the new SIM in, and activated it. My US unlocked S8 automatically configured the apn settings.
I now have great coverage with Verizon towers using the same phone I had on AT&T a week ago.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I'll cite a real world benefit of purchasing unlocked.
Have been using unlocked phones for years with a Straight Talk AT&T SIM. Recently moved to an area where AT&T reception was poor and Verizon ruled.
I got a CDMA kit from StraightTalk, popped the new SIM in, and activated it. My US unlocked S8 automatically configured the apn settings.
I now have great coverage with Verizon towers using the same phone I had on AT&T a week ago.
Yeah, I think the apn settings change based on the sim. I'm with Verizon so my device comes unlocked. It's a requirement that the FCC gave them for some spectrum that they got. I can pop a sim in if I need to though. However, I can see how that helped you in this situation. I doubt most people move very often though. I personally like getting updates so I avoid Samsung's unlocked devices. They're terrible at updating them in the US.

mary beth hale

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, I think the apn settings change based on the sim. I'm with Verizon so my device comes unlocked. It's a requirement that the FCC gave them for some spectrum that they got. I can pop a sim in if I need to though. However, I can see how that helped you in this situation. I doubt most people move very often though. I personally like getting updates so I avoid Samsung's unlocked devices. They're terrible at updating them in the US.

Would have to agree with you regarding the poor update cycle for the unlocked phones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa