Front screen replacement.

keyzlife

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Anyone know if the phone will be waterproof still after replacing the front screen or back glass?
It depends on where it was replaced. I believe for warranty purposes it has to be completed by an authorized repair center. There is a seal around the perimeter of the glasses and if it is not resealed it will leak.

Ecm

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I was with a friend when he took his S8+ into an authorized service location to have his cracked screen replaced. They did say it would still be water resistant after the replacement. It took a little over 4 hours to complete. We were told that's due to the trickiness of getting the seal in place properly, plus the recalibration of the device to the new screen.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
It depends on where it was replaced. I believe for warranty purposes it has to be completed by an authorized repair center. There is a seal around the perimeter of the glasses and if it is not resealed it will leak.
Absolutely correct I know that for a fact because I called up Samsung technical support and there's an authorized Samsung dealer in northern New Jersey and they'll charge $300 to replace the front screen.

Ecm

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Absolutely correct I know that for a fact because I called up Samsung technical support and there's an authorized Samsung dealer in northern New Jersey and they'll charge $300 to replace the front screen.

That sounds about right for an authorized service replacement. Here in Canada it's $400 CAD.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
That sounds about right for an authorized service replacement. Here in Canada it's $400 CAD.
Yes, when I can afford in the future for myself, I'm going to have my own Galaxy S8 front screen replaced. It accidentally slipped out of my pocket at the park and mom so short on the lower left hand corner of the screen it's cracked. It's not a bad crack but it's not also not waterproof anymore. Now I got going to be testing the waters out all joking aside but I would still like the benefit of the doubt and the safety security of having the waterproofing again.

Ecm

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yes, when I can afford in the future for myself, I'm going to have my own Galaxy S8 front screen replaced. It accidentally slipped out of my pocket at the park and mom so short on the lower left hand corner of the screen it's cracked. It's not a bad crack but it's not also not waterproof anymore. Now I got going to be testing the waters out all joking aside but I would still like the benefit of the doubt and the safety security of having the waterproofing again.

You will see some mobile repair shops advertsing their services as "Experienced" or "Expert" (or similar phrasing), with screen replacement costs far less than the Sammy-authorized locations. I strongly advise against going to them. A co-worker did'nt want to spring for the $400, and went to an alternate. After the $180 repair, she's having odd screen behaviour and the colours are noticeably off.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
You will see some mobile repair shops advertsing their services as "Experienced" or "Expert" (or similar phrasing), with screen replacement costs far less than the Sammy-authorized locations. I strongly advise against going to them. A co-worker did'nt want to spring for the $400, and went to an alternate. After the $180 repair, she's having odd screen behaviour and the colours are noticeably off.

Oh absolutely, I agree. I only trust my S8 at an Authorized Repair shop. Mostly for the waterproofing of course. Getting that watertight seal is crucial for dust and waterproofing.

JeBe4

Banned
Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
I know labor and parts (mainly the labor/skill) - but when you consider a new device is $425-725 - brand new in box - a screen replacement is 50% or more in some cases o_O - faux pas

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Yes, and at first, when i learned about the cost of S8 screen replacements, i was shocked, but i suppose the more and more I think about it, the more it does make sense to me.