Bixby updates reinstalling bloat?

bobbob1016

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I just got my S8+ from the T-Mobile BOGO. I removed Samsung Health and a few apps I don't want. I turned on autoupdates, and it keeps reinstalling health and some of the other bloat I removed. Do we know why Samsung says reinstalling is updating which it isn't? Further, I can't manually update specific things, as in updating Settings with Bixby. I have to get all or nothing.

How can I only have Samsung update the apps I want installed and not reinstall?

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Have you tried going to settings, apps, app info, clicking on the apps you want to stop updating and disabling them? If you just uninstall the updates, it will keep asking to update them. By disabling them, you don't completely remove them from the phone but the size is minimal and they will not keep pestering you to update. There are certain apps you can't disable but most of the preinstalled junk, you can. I always do this on the first day when I get a new phone.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Bixby will reinstall the health, Voice Recorder and some other apps through the bixby labs stuff even if you have disabled or uninstalled them. You'll have to disable auto updates or its going to keep installing those apps to use with Bixby.

bobbob1016

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Why did you turn on autoupdate??

I turn that off and only update or install what I want manually.

I can't update the Bixby stuff manually. Beyond that, since when does "update" mean "reinstall"? I wouldn't have thought to check that.

Have you tried going to settings, apps, app info, clicking on the apps you want to stop updating and disabling them? If you just uninstall the updates, it will keep asking to update them. By disabling them, you don't completely remove them from the phone but the size is minimal and they will not keep pestering you to update. There are certain apps you can't disable but most of the preinstalled junk, you can. I always do this on the first day when I get a new phone.

It reinstalls after I disable them. At first I did so in adhell, then google settings, but it seems Samsung sees "update" and "reinstall" as the same thing.

Bixby will reinstall the health, Voice Recorder and some other apps through the bixby labs stuff even if you have disabled or uninstalled them. You'll have to disable auto updates or its going to keep installing those apps to use with Bixby.

Yeah, wish I could find the person at Samsung who thought to say "update" was the same as "reinstall" because if I uninstall it, there by definition is nothing there for them to update.

Thanks everyone for at least pointing out I'm not crazy with this and it's a Samsung issue. Yeah, not major, but it is *my* phone and I shouldn't have to keep uninstalling stuff to have it act like *my* phone. I'd imagine these "updates" aren't security related right? Just Bixby related? So I'm not really missing anything?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez