Android 8.0 Oreo beta for Galaxy S8 - Unlocked (UK) Sprint & T-Mobile (US) only.

Mr_Spencer

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2014
Visit site

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: Android 8.0 Oreo beta for Galaxy S8 - Unlocked (UK) Sprint & T-Mobile (US) only.

It hasn't been included in this version of the beta. Hopefully in the next update we get, but who knows, maybe won't be out until the final/official release.
Yeah, kinda what I was thinking. I got super stoked when I saw this earlier today, then quickly let down when I couldn't find it. Here's hoping it's in the next update.

Also, themes work for me, but only so far as changing the color of the notification shade and settings/phone apps. The font for the lock screen clock doesn't change. I'll probably break down and factory reset tomorrow.

Last edited:

mary beth hale

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Everyone... Remember to contribute to the Oreo Beta feedback section in Samsung Members app that was added after the beta download. Coming from the Windows Insider program, I think it's important.

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
Here I've always gone by the rule that beta meant feature complete, else would be Alpha. They should dispense with the "beta" and stick with Pre-release.

Some of the reviews and FAQ sound like a very different implementation. Ended up on goose chase looking for things that doesn't exist.

mary beth hale

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone tried Substratum on the beta yet? Was using Swift Black and loving it prior to update. Off work tomorrow and going to give it a go since I'll have time to play with it.

mary beth hale

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Here I've always gone by the rule that beta meant feature complete, else would be Alpha. They should dispense with the "beta" and stick with Pre-release.

Some of the reviews and FAQ sound like a very different implementation. Ended up on goose chase looking for things that doesn't exist.

Yeah, read the FAQs in Members app and parts of it sound like a different OS than my phone is running.

pankaj981

May 5, 2013
Visit site
So I enabled power saving mode yesterday with 10% reduced screen brightness, 70% throttled processor, AOD/background processing always ON with display scaled to full resolution. I still had 48% battery at bedtime with only 2 hours SoT. I'll keep it on for a few days and see if it improves anything.

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Re: Android 8.0 Oreo beta for Galaxy S8 - Unlocked (UK) Sprint & T-Mobile (US) only.

My S8 isn't being recognized as an USB 3.0 device any more. It was prior to the update. I'm plugging it in to a USB C 3.0 port on my laptop.

Edit: Looks like it was a cable problem. I was using a USB-C to USB-C cable but when I swapped it out for a USB-A to C cable with a A to C adapter it was recognized as USB 3.0. Maybe the C to C able wasn't rated for 3.0.

Last edited:

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site

Broke down and factory reset last night. I didn't have any problems, just figured I give a fresh install a go. A bit smoother. By and large, no noticeable difference. Though, changing themes still doesn't change the font on the lock screen clock.

Last edited:

Mr_Spencer

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2014
Visit site

Has anyone tried Substratum on the beta yet? Was using Swift Black and loving it prior to update. Off work tomorrow and going to give it a go since I'll have time to play with it.
Just saw ur post that u got the dark theme going. When u were picking an android version which one did u pick?
c920d3404dbcc3f5dec0083464fb6052.jpg

Last edited:

mary beth hale

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Just saw ur post that u got the dark theme going. When u were picking an android version which one did u pick?//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171109/c920d3404dbcc3f5dec0083464fb6052.jpg

I picked "other(experimental)" since the Samsung version no longer works with this Oreo Beta. Had to download the Andromeda app and install the desktop client on my laptop to connect the phone and enable Substratum to work. It worked OK but didn't have as many apps available as the Samsung S8 version had. I used Samsung high contrast black theme for the Samsung apps then applied SwiftBlack to Outlook and my Google apps... Calendar, Play store, Google, Maps, etc, and also SwiftKey. Don't see an overlay for my OneDrive app.
Still can't get the nav bar or notification shade black. May uninstall Samsung theme and do overlays from Substratum for everything.
Wasn't sure about which OS version to pick.
May try the 8.0 for pixel tomorrow but so far the overlays I've applied work fine.
Let me know what you end up doing and if you were successful. And PLEASE, if you know how, tell me how to get rid of the ugly white nav bar and notification shade (quick settings is fine but not the actual notifications) using Substratum :)

Last edited:

Mr_Spencer

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
I picked "other(experimental)" since the Samsung version no longer works with this Oreo Beta. Had to download the Andromeda app and install the desktop client on my laptop to connect the phone and enable Substratum to work. It worked OK but didn't have as many apps available as the Samsung S8 version had. I used Samsung high contrast black theme for the Samsung apps then applied SwiftBlack to Outlook and my Google apps... Calendar, Play store, Google, Maps, etc, and also SwiftKey. Don't see an overlay for my OneDrive app.
Still can't get the nav bar or notification shade black. May uninstall Samsung theme and do overlays from Substratum for everything.
Wasn't sure about which OS version to pick.
May try the 8.0 for pixel tomorrow but so far the overlays I've applied work fine.
Let me know what you end up doing and if you were successful. And PLEASE, if you know how, tell me how to get rid of the ugly white nav bar and notification shade (quick settings is fine but not the actual notifications) using Substratum :)
Before your reply I'd installed it with Other(experimental) and noticed a lot of stuff wasn't covered either. I ended up uninstalling the overlays. I'll just wait until there's Samsung Oreo support. Besides, with the regular updates we'll probably get with beta, I'll probably get annoyed with having to disable and reapply overlays regularly.

mary beth hale

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Before your reply I'd installed it with Other(experimental) and noticed a lot of stuff wasn't covered either. I ended up uninstalling the overlays. I'll just wait until there's Samsung Oreo support. Besides, with the regular updates we'll probably get with beta, I'll probably get annoyed with having to disable and reapply overlays regularly.

LOL... Didn't think about the Beta updates but you're so right. Keeping it enabled for now though. Hopefully they'll get a Samsung Oreo version soon. Maybe a month or so.

mary beth hale

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site

LOL... Didn't think about the Beta updates. You're so right. Love the look though, so I'll keep it enabled for awhile.

CincyGuy

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Update for me: My camera app froze up twice yesterday. I could eventually get back to the home screen by tapping on the home key repeatedly, but going back into the camera app would show the camera window (blank no live view) white shutter button and other buttons, and it would all be non-responsive. Had to reboot the phone each time to get the camera to work.

This morning my Bluetooth headphones would not connect at the gym. Went into the Bluetooth settings, Bluetooth was toggled off. I toggled it back on and the button slider moved into the on position but then grayed out and was non-responsive. Had to reboot to get it to work.

So I want to bail out of the beta program. A few folks on here have stated selecting the beta program text in the Samsung+ app will give you an option to un-enroll from beta, but that text does nothing when I tap on it. See screen shot below - tapping on the circled text does absolutely nadda:
Capture.JPG

So, can someone who has actually un-enrolled tell me what works? Do I just need to do a factory reset on the phone? I don't want to go through that hassle and still find I am enrolled in beta when I set everything back up. Thanks.

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
It looks like all the beta functions have been rolled into the Samsung Members app. When I selected settings>Galaxy Beta Program nothing happens either. When I select Beta Notices from the main page I see a "Server response error. Server error. Try again later". Not very helpful is it?

When I tried later I was able to see a page that had a "deregister" button.

I don't know for sure what happens when you unenroll (deregister). When you unenroll from a Google Android beta they warn you the you will get an OTA that will roll back your OS and wipe your device. I unenrolled my 5X from the Oreo beta and never got an OTA so I ended up reflashing the latest stable build. Take a look at this.

GALAXY BETA PROGRAM - FAQ

Last edited:

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Any one else experiencing notification issues? If the phone is locked Nine won't give me any notification, no sound, no led. GMail has stopped giving my led notifications but does give the notification sound. Both the Samsung email client and Textra work just fine. I've been through all the settings but haven't been able to find anything that might help. I believe that all this was working fine prior to me resetting the phone.

mary beth hale

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Notifications working OK with lockscreen and notification panel as far as sound and led for Samsung Messages and Outlook mail but not getting badge notifications. Could be that I'm using Microsoft Launcher though.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non