Android 8.0 Oreo beta for Galaxy S8 - Unlocked (UK) Sprint & T-Mobile (US) only.

mary beth hale

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Re: Android 8.0 Oreo beta for Galaxy S8 - Unlocked (UK) Sprint & T-Mobile (US) only.

FYI, this does NOT work. So I enrolled in beta and the update had downloaded all the way. I got the screen asking to install the update now, at a specific time, or "later". I chose later hoping it would just stay that way indefinitely. I woke up this morning to find the update had installed overnight and the phone rebooted.

I went to the menu in Samsung+ (as described in quote above) and tapped on the Galaxy Beta Program and it still does nothing. There is another person in this message thread saying he rolled back to Nougat (I'm assuming he did a factory reset) and he is still showing as being enrolled in the beta program.

Really Samsung, give as a frakking way to unenroll! Good lord, sometimes I regret having an Android phone.

Factory reset will never change whatever build you're currently on

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
I just noticed in Play Store>Settings... My device status says "uncertified". Is this because of the Oreo Beta?
Never noticed before.
6a49916317c95f85fc09b857b4e08ab9.jpg

I assume we're testing the compatibility during the beta.

CincyGuy

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Since I appear to be stuck being on beta, my first impressions:

Swifkey wouldn't open so I uninstalled it. The new Samsung keyboard actually appears to be kind of good so I am trying it out.

Android Auto burped and failed when I first plugged in the phone, but seems to be working totally fine on a replug; used Google Assistant voice commands to search for songs and send a text.

Have taken some pictures/video and both seem to be the same.

No problem sending texts using Android Messages.

Notification shade colors the song playing in GPM to match the cover art.

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Well I'm not sure what happened but Samsung Plus doesn't show me as enrolled in the beta any more. I went in to look at something and when I tapped Galaxy Beta Program nothing happened. So I tried to restart the phone and it hung while booting. I managed to get it restarted and when I checked Samsung Plus, the entry for Galaxy Beta Program was gone. I ended up doing a hard reset and I'm trying to restore from a Smart Switch backup. Smart Switch has been giving me grief as well. It keeps trying to update to and older version! And then it refuses to run showing an error unless I uninstall it and reinstall it. Sort of regret joining the beta program now. But I knew there could be issues so...

Waiting for Smart Switch to finish reinstalling my apps.

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Well I still don't know what happened but I reset the phone and restored a backup and the phone is flying now. I'm still on Oreo so I guess I'll just see what happens.

Mr_Spencer

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
Since I appear to be stuck being on beta, my first impressions:

Swifkey wouldn't open so I uninstalled it. The new Samsung keyboard actually appears to be kind of good so I am trying it out.

Android Auto burped and failed when I first plugged in the phone, but seems to be working totally fine on a replug; used Google Assistant voice commands to search for songs and send a text.

Have taken some pictures/video and both seem to be the same.

No problem sending texts using Android Messages.

Notification shade colors the song playing in GPM to match the cover art.

SwiftKey issue is based on the theme. If u reinstall it will work fine.
Have u tried taking video while moving? My issue with video seems to be more with OIS.

t11rmh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Re: Android 8.0 Oreo beta for Galaxy S8 - Unlocked (UK) Sprint & T-Mobile (US) only.

FYI, this does NOT work. So I enrolled in beta and the update had downloaded all the way. I got the screen asking to install the update now, at a specific time, or "later". I chose later hoping it would just stay that way indefinitely. I woke up this morning to find the update had installed overnight and the phone rebooted.

I went to the menu in Samsung+ (as described in quote above) and tapped on the Galaxy Beta Program and it still does nothing. There is another person in this message thread saying he rolled back to Nougat (I'm assuming he did a factory reset) and he is still showing as being enrolled in the beta program.

Really Samsung, give as a frakking way to unenroll! Good lord, sometimes I regret having an Android phone.

I un enrolled and then did a factory reset right after. That worked for me.

t11rmh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
I rolled back to nougat as found a few bugs what we're annoying. however, I've deregistered from the programme now but it's still showing the update coming through in the software update menu. anyone have any ideas how to stop it?

I did a factory reset right after and that seemed to work for me. I'm not getting the beta software when I check for software updates now.

mary beth hale

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
This may have already been answered but I don't see it... Did anyone get the October security patch with the Oreo Beta? Mine is on September patch. Just curious.