Alarm does not sound whilst phone is in mute mode

Silke8

Jan 20, 2018
Visit site
I recently switched from the Samsung S5 to S8. I'm kinda missing my S5 right now because of the annoying glitches I am finding on the S8. The winner on the annoyance rating is the fact my alarm does not sound when phone is in mute mode. This is really inconvenient and doesn't make sense to me. Surely if you use your phone as alarm then you mostly need to have phone muted at the same time as you don't want to be disturbed by calls and messages etc.

I have tried setting the Do Not Disturb function so the clock is an exception. This does not work either.

This really needs to be fixed asap.

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
I have my phone permanently on vibrate mode and my alarms do work OK. Each alarm can be set individually, so my alarm at work (at night) to wake me from my break just vibrates, but the morning alarm for gym has a sound. Make sure the particular alarm has the sound on when you set it..
I don't use do not disturb, vibrate mode works for my needs well enough. Since Marshmallow, settings have become more granulated and more often than not, you can set stuff up from a few different places. This can lead to confusion at times.
I hope your issue is just some settings that can be fixed easily, it's frustrating to have all this tech if it doesn't work properly!

wunderbar

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
That is the normal expected behavior since Android 6.

There are 3 modes in Android for notifications, normal, priority, and silent. Silent silences everything, including alarms.

if you actually turn your ringer down to zero with the volume buttons that is not the same as putting it into silent, and your alarms should sound. while not having an audible notification.