My individual contact notification tones disappeared after updating to Oreo?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date

RhodesEnd

Jun 22, 2018
Visit site
Plug into your PC and open the phone internal storage. Navigate to "phone/android/media/com.google.android.talk/notifications" copy the sound files you want into this directory and they will show up in your notification sounds. Happy camper here!

McDodge34

Jun 19, 2018
Visit site
Plug into your PC and open the phone internal storage. Navigate to "phone/android/media/com.google.android.talk/notifications" copy the sound files you want into this directory and they will show up in your notification sounds. Happy camper here!

Its not the problem here, its they aren't there when we look into Contacts list you look at the contact and normally you can assign a custom notification for txt messages, now only a custom ringtone is present in the contacts, not txt message notification anymore.

Jaymes50

Jun 23, 2018
Visit site
Well...looks like I'm going back to Apple. Without the individual tones/rings this Samsung phone is useless. In my business I depend on know which calls are higher priority and without the ability to set different tones for people's texts and calls...it will make a good paperweight for me...

Martsem

Jun 24, 2018
Visit site
I suggest, as I did, for anyone affected by this to flood Samsung customer support with complaints, so that they will correct this asap.

sitlet

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Well...looks like I'm going back to Apple. Without the individual tones/rings this Samsung phone is useless. In my business I depend on know which calls are higher priority and without the ability to set different tones for people's texts and calls...it will make a good paperweight for me...
Download a third party app. Problem solved.

BingoTerri

Jun 24, 2018
Visit site
Hate that they've done this but I took someone's advise and downloaded 'Textra'... very nice app and it does so much more than just let you customize your contract notification sounds. Colors, repeat of notifications, vibrations. I would suggest that you at least take a look at it and see if it's something you'd like. If not, uninstall.... better than what they've left us !!

2dontlikeOreo

Jun 28, 2018
Visit site
I want my personalized contact message tones back!!!! Pissed off with this new Oreo update!!! Personalizing message tones was very useful to me, not just an amusement... PLEASE BRING IT BACK. .... SOON!

Same here...i tried Joe's suggestion and it keeps going back to the latest version!

Last edited by a moderator:

McDodge34

Jun 19, 2018
Visit site
Thanks Tony Smith Photo. How do I access this upgrade? My phone is saying no updates are available and phone is up to date.

You can't find this update, its a very old version, the actual version you want is 5.0.21.18 according to my Galaxy S7, you can find it on apkmirror and install it on your phone, it won't have the notification function in contacts, but you will be able to personalize the sounds for each conversation in txt message app.

gwaynet

Nov 27, 2016
Visit site
Most of the solutions seem to provide a unique tone per text conversation (as opposed to per contact). I tried Android Messages and couldn't find an option to set a unique tone per contact. Did I overlook a setting in Android Messages? If not, do any of the other third party apps support setting a unique message notification tone per contact?

McDodge34

Jun 19, 2018
Visit site
Most of the solutions seem to provide a unique tone per text conversation (as opposed to per contact). I tried Android Messages and couldn't find an option to set a unique tone per contact. Did I overlook a setting in Android Messages? If not, do any of the other third party apps support setting a unique message notification tone per contact?

Nope, sadly, its the main problem we have cause Contacts app was redone by Samsung, and doesn't provide the custom notifications tones anymore. Its a real problem when you have multiple persons that are in the conversation, only the first notification sound is used.

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Tony Smith Photo. How do I access this upgrade? My phone is saying no updates are available and phone is up to date.

What phone do you have? (I know this is an S8/8+ thread but there are other phone owners in this thread). I have the S8+ and I got the update last week from the Samsung app store

Squirrel Lover

Jul 3, 2018
Visit site
I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 with Verizon Wireless:

I was bemoaning this same issue a few weeks ago and someone here recommended an alternative app for texting, which would have the ability to choose individual text tones. It was "Messages" and for one thing, as soon as I downloaded it, it sent out two very old (from about 18 months ago) picture messages to two separate contacts, so I started getting strange replies! Then a couple of days ago, it did it again - sent an old photo to another one of my contacts! My other issue with it is there seems to be a noticeable delay between when I press 'Send' and when the message actually goes. Also, I don't like the look of it. Not sure it's worth it ONLY for the ability to specify individual text tones. If I want to go back to what I was using before, what do I do? I'm not even sure what it was - whatever came with the phone... Would I need to Uninstall "Messages," or just choose a different default app? Thank you in advance. :)

TonySmithPhoto

Dec 11, 2015
Visit site
Apologies, only just come back to this.

My post, was for Messages on Galaxy S8+.

I've no idea how you'd access it, my phone updated to the version I mentioned, and I can now set an individual message alert tone per contact.

Hope this works. ;)

If you have the above version, open up a message from the contact you want to customise. Click on the 3 vertical dots, top right, click on Notifications, then click on the settings icon next to Custom, and set your tone.

Easy.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180703-213029_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20180703-213029_Messages.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot_20180703-213056_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20180703-213056_Messages.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 14
Last edited by a moderator:

gwaynet

Nov 27, 2016
Visit site
Hi Tony, I hope I'm wrong however I think what you're describing is how to set a unique message tone for a conversation - as opposed to a unique message tone per contact. Note the words in your screenshot "use custom notification settings for this conversation". Can you confirm that in a conversation with three or more, does each person's reply generate a unique message tone assigned to the individual contact? Or do all replies generate the same message tone assigned to the conversation?

TonySmithPhoto

Dec 11, 2015
Visit site
Good point. Hadn't thought of that.

I usually only have a couple of conversations on the go at any one time. My mum, partner, kids and such. I've deleted my conversation with my partner, so that conversation is now gone. She's due to text me shortly, I'll find out when she does, if the notification changes to default, or stays on the custom one I use for her.