Verizon Galaxy S8 Frustrated!! ads

Amylala

Jun 28, 2018
Visit site
I recently upgraded to an S8 plus, and I keep getting these ads. Please tell me how to stop them. They pop up randomly ask day long! TIA
I took a screenshot of one of the ads. It's a full screen ad...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180621-091413_AI Photo Editor.jpg
    Screenshot_20180621-091413_AI Photo Editor.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 31

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: Frustrated!!

Those definitely come from an app you installed. You need to find the app and uninstall it. Usual culprits are shady games, file manager apps, chinese launchers, etc. Of course, if you side-loaded any apps from non-reputable sources, that also exposed you to having adware installed on your phone.

Run an Adware scanner (like Lookout's app from the Play Store) and see if that can pin-point which app it is coming from. If the ad shows up with a charging lockscreen or something like that, there should be a settings icon somewhere before it pops up.

Galaxy Apps 'ads' don't show up as that, they show up as recommendations and as a notification in your notification bar; you wouldn't see any specific app info unless you tapped the notification (which would take you to the Galaxy Apps app, not a random site). Those can be turned off in Galaxy Apps settings if you don't want to receive recommendations/promotions.

Amylala

Jun 28, 2018
Visit site
Re: Frustrated!!

When I click on the ad, the url says Facebook. I went into Facebook and I found where ad control is. It doesn't let you turn the ads off...

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! As far as I know, Facebook doesn't cause popup ads like that. It's probably some other app, but the problem is that there's no easy way to pinpoint which app is responsible. You may have to uninstall apps one by one until the problem goes away.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. Have you installed any new apps lately? What about any apps that updated for the first time in a while?

Amylala

Jun 28, 2018
Visit site
When I click on the ad, the url says I.Facebook.com at first, but then change to the url of the ad displayed. I went into Facebook and I found where ad control is. It doesn't let you turn the ads off...

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
As we've mentioned before, we don't think it's due to Facebook itself. Uninstall other apps one by one and see if the problem goes away.