Water Hazard error + No power Galaxy s9 android phone

mlee271828

Sep 15, 2020
Visit site
My phone ran out of power in broad DRY daylight and right now I want to charge it.

Then all of a sudden I get the water hazard error trying to charge the phone.

I need to charge my phone because it has no power but I can't charge it because of this stupid water hazard error. There's no water in the device, it was never near any water in the first place.

What am I supposed to do here? I waited an hour and I still get the same error.

I can turn the phone on very briefly for about 10 seconds before it shuts off. What should I do at this point?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Is it possible the phone got exposed to moisture at some point? Do you often leave it in the bathroom while you take a hot shower?

If you're certain it hasn't been exposed to moisture, then it's still possible the USB port has been disrupted in some way. Use a can of compressed air to blow it out, then see if the problem persists.

Do you have access to a wireless charger?

mlee271828

Sep 15, 2020
Visit site
Well, like I said at the beginning of the post, my phone ran out of power in DRY daylight. Absolutely no water could've entered it and I'm sure no water entered it.

The only one other time that I have encountered this water moisture error was when the phone auto updated to the latest version. Right after the phone finished updating I plugged in a charger and got a water moisture error... which again is impossible because it's sitting in my room and there's no liquid nearby. Restarting the phone fixed it.

I tried another usb cord and that didn't help, it's the same error.

I don't have a wireless charger but after doing some research seems to be the only solution I may have left. I tried to enter safe mode but I still get the error and then it auto shuts off. I was hoping it ignores the error and continues but nope.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Well, like I said at the beginning of the post, my phone ran out of power in DRY daylight. Absolutely no water could've entered it and I'm sure no water entered it.

Right, but the moisture exposure doesn't have to occur right there and then. If, for example, you had the phone in the bathroom while taking a nice hot shower, moisture could condense some time afterwards as the phone cooled down.

This issue crops up fairly regularly. Check out some of the other threads:

https://forums.androidcentral.com/s...ger-usb-moisture-note10-plus.html#post6857241
https://forums.androidcentral.com/a...charger-message-how-do-i-fix.html#post6809765

mlee271828

Sep 15, 2020
Visit site
So right now it's been 3 hours and I'm still getting the error. I cleaned the usb port and used a different usb cord. Same thing. The wireless charging solution is the only thing solution I have left. The only question I have left is if I use wireless charging, do I need to enable some kind of setting to do wireless charging before it will charge? Because I can only turn on my phone for about 10 seconds and then it shuts off. If wireless charging doesn't work while the phone is off, this phone is done.

I'll give it a few more hours, or try it again in the morning.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Try going setting>apps>3 dot upper right corner tap>system apps tap> find USB app and tap it, go to it's storage and clear data/cache then Force stop it .

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
So right now it's been 3 hours and I'm still getting the error. I cleaned the usb port and used a different usb cord. Same thing. The wireless charging solution is the only thing solution I have left. The only question I have left is if I use wireless charging, do I need to enable some kind of setting to do wireless charging before it will charge? Because I can only turn on my phone for about 10 seconds and then it shuts off. If wireless charging doesn't work while the phone is off, this phone is done.

I'll give it a few more hours, or try it again in the morning.

Wireless charging works with the phone off and doesn't require any settings to be adjusted.

mlee271828

Sep 15, 2020
Visit site
OK here's the update. I did something that nobody suggested. I shook my phone like i'm playing some really wild phone app game that requires intensive shaking and plugged it back in...
and it started charging.

It could be a coincidence and perhaps letting it "dry" for 3 hours was a better solution but whatever I did... it worked.

But that is good info from L0n3N1nja. Wireless charging does not need settings to be adjusted. I swear i saw something in settings that required it to be turned on for wireless charging to work but something about that doesn't make sense if the phone is off because it shouldn't be able to "block" wireless charging if the phone isn't on... or something like that if you get my gist.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Glad you got it working! But this is a bit of a red flag. First, make sure all of your important data is backed up or synced somewhere safe, in case the phone suddenly fails. Then, if the phone is under warranty, consider contacting Samsung about warranty replacement or repair.