Note8 vs S9+

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
For what?
The warranty replacement you're asking about? A few weeks back, it completely froze then decided it had moisture in the port and wouldn't charge - there was no moisture. I could turn the phone off then back on and it would charge for a very short time, then that moisture alert came back on, and no more charging. I went to factory reset it and though it did factory reset, it literrally rebooted about 20 to 22 times before it finalized.

I haven't had those issues with the replacement Note 8.

jvm1982

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I'll keep rocking my note 8. There is not really anything about the S9 that rocks me into thinking I need to upgrade. Note 8 for me.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I've only had mine for less than a month. It's already becoming obsolete, lol.
Not really

It's still mighty capable and it does most of that the S9 can do along with the bonus of having the S Pen.

For me, the better cameras aren't worth trading in the S Pen especially since I've come to rely on it regularly and it's not like the Note's cameras are bad.

Jim Gurganious

Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
Note 8. I like my S-Pen and the functions that come with the Note. The S9+ looks like a great phone and I will look forward to those improvements coming to the Note 9.

Agreed, if past is prologue, the Note9 will have all the upgrades of the S9+ in addition to the S Pen and possibly the under screen fingerprint scanner. I'm wondering if there may be an increase in screen size to compete with the rumored iPhone X plus, but I'm just conjecturing there, haven't seen anything from Samsung.

Jim Gurganious

Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
I've only had mine for less than a month. It's already becoming obsolete, lol.

I think a practical definition of obsolete in mobile is when the apps no longer update and/or, the phone no longer receives security updates making it more vulnerable to attacks. When I took out my S6 Edge + (Exynos version) a month ago it was still pretty snappy, takes good photos and the display is still quite nice. It doesn't have the battery capacity of the S8 or S9 series but I appreciate the thinner, lighter chassis.

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Some percentage of people who buy a Note don't do it for the pen, but for the rest of us, we have to wait for the Note 9. No pen, no contender.

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
Although I really want to use the blood pressure monitor of the s9. Waiting a few more months won't hurt as I'm sure the note 9 will get it.

And I am super happy with my note 8 for sure.

steve_w_7

Feb 27, 2018
Visit site
I'm going to keep my Note 8. It's been a solid performer for me. I like where Samsung is going with the S9/S9+, so I'm stoked to see what's in store for the Note 9, but for now, I'm still loving my Note 8.

I have never understood all the fuss over the placement of the fingerprint scanner on the back. It took me less than a day to get used to placing my finger in the correct spot and it's worked perfectly.

michail71

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
I'm going to keep my Note 8. It's been a solid performer for me. I like where Samsung is going with the S9/S9+, so I'm stoked to see what's in store for the Note 9, but for now, I'm still loving my Note 8.

I have never understood all the fuss over the placement of the fingerprint scanner on the back. It took me less than a day to get used to placing my finger in the correct spot and it's worked perfectly.

Same here. I kind of like it. I hold with the right hand and touch the sensor with my left. But it's kind of rare with smart lock and other bio-metrics to even need it.

It took me longer to adjust to the pressure sensitive press of the home button to bypass the lock screen. I was used to swiping and double tapping from my V20.

chmun77

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Definitely upgrading, note 8 glitches too much

If such a powerful phone like Note 8 glitches, yet you still wanna get another Samsung? You think S9 will be better? I have seen the ram usage of a S9 and out of the box already left only about 400mb applicable. Too much bloats with TouchWiz

chmun77

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site

The photos are not really that amazing TBH. Perhaps the photos quality got degraded when sharing in the forum. Very normal photo quality.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
The photos are not really that amazing TBH. Perhaps the photos quality got degraded when sharing in the forum. Very normal photo quality.
They do get degraded when uploading due to compression being applied in order to save bandwidth.

I'll likely share a proper Google Photos album with better examples, especially in HDR situations

anon(7775)

Jan 17, 2010
Visit site
True, but the Note line is still Samsungs king. Expect the Note 9 to be an upgrade over the S9 Plus.

The Note line is geared towards heavy power users. The S line is not. Although the S9 Plus can be used for power using, the Note is with the power user and professional user in mind.

Now when there was no more Note 7 and the S8 Plus came out, yes that was the only thing Samsung had for power users and I bought it. The s line is still geared for a different group.

I will be getting the Note 9 and holding off on the S9 Plus.

but also expect the s10 to be an upgrade over the note 9 minus the s pen,see what I did there.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I doubt anyone wants to .. But people are human so :p.
Well, I've got the Note 8 and have dropped it a handful of times - always had a case on and has been well protected. Hasn't affected the camera in the least. I would assume the same for the S9+ as long as it's protected.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Well, I've got the Note 8 and have dropped it a handful of times - always had a case on and has been well protected. Hasn't affected the camera in the least. I would assume the same for the S9+ as long as it's protected.

Yeah but your camera doesn't have an adjustable aperture like the S9 .. That is why he asked. He was asking how it would affect it with adjusting.