Is there a reason why the GS9 still has a time limit for video recording?

Bishop_99

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
Screenshot_2018-02-28-08-40-36.jpg

The addition of 4K 60fps recording is a great improvement. Also, the fact that you have the option to choose the HEVC encode if you want to record with the newer encoder to save space and for better quality, unless the bitrate is dropped dramatically. Or choose AVC to record videos that can be more compatible with older devices, while taking up more space, it's a great option to have.

The part that I don't understand is why is the time limit still there. I understand the time limit being there when they introduced 4K 30fps video recording in the Galaxy Note 3, but that was back in 2013. I fail to understand why is a time limit still there after all of these years. Overheating? I honestly don't get this part.

I found that in a video from a phone arena review, they didn't even cover the time limit, and it hasn't been covered at all really. Any thought on why after almost 5 years they can't get rid of that time limit?

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
Pretty sure it's a write limitation on the file size for the type of storage format used. Like I remember FAT32 had a limit of a 4 GB file size, which was the upper limit on video size as well. Not sure exactly what file format of the S9 is, but I can't think of another reason to create such a limit.

Bishop_99

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
Pretty sure it's a write limitation on the file size for the type of storage format used. Like I remember FAT32 had a limit of a 4 GB file size, which was the upper limit on video size as well. Not sure exactly what file format of the S9 is, but I can't think of another reason to create such a limit.

It isn't that, the 4K 30fps video recording uses about 1.65GB for a 5 minute video, that was using the AVC encode which had a bitrate close to 50Mbps. If recorded with the HEVC encode, I would assume Samsung would drop the Bitrate in half to about 25Mbps, which would produce over an 800MB file.

In 4K at 60fps, I would assume they would use a bitrate a little over 35Mbps with the HEVC encode.

Not to mention you don't have the time limit on the current GS8 with 1080p 30fps. You don't have that limit if you record the videos to the SD Card and formatted it properly.

Oddly enough, my Galaxy Note 4 has no time limit while recording 1080p at 60fps, while the GS8 has a 10 minute time limit if you record in that mode, 1440p at 30fps has no time limit.

The limit seems too extreme imo, especially with the HEVC encodes available in the GS9+.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87