Extra RAM on the S9+

richv77

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
How much of the difference will it make to have that extra RAM on the S9+ if you do not use any VR apps? I prefer the smaller size of the S9.

Thanks for your comments.

-Rich

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If you have many apps running at once, or have an app using a huge data file (like a spreadsheet), or a combination, it makes a difference. Most of the time VR won't - 4GB is going to be enough. (Needing 6GB for any single app is really pushing things in 2018. Of course that was supposedly true about 640KB back in the early 1980s [supposedly, because Bill Gates never said that 640K was enough], and we're eventually going to think that 60GB isn't enough RAM some day, but for the foreseeable future 4GB should be enough unless you're planning on running a few apps using large data files at once.)

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
How much of the difference will it make to have that extra RAM on the S9+ if you do not use any VR apps? I prefer the smaller size of the S9.

Thanks for your comments.

-Rich
Let's put it that way: the way Samsung wastes resources on their handset, it'll make a big difference. As in Note8 vs S8. Note8 Runs way more smoothly than the S8

callihan_44

May 2, 2014
Visit site
I checked a note 8 thats been up for a few days and it had 3.3gb residing in ram from several programs in the background including internet browser with about 5 tabs open, google maps, camera app, youtube, messaging ....if you are a power user you may want to get the plus, if you manage your apps and use them sparingly you will probably be fine with the reg s9

Last edited:

richv77

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I checked a note 8 thats been up for a few days and it had 3.3gb residing in ram from several programs in the background including internet browser with about 5 tabs open, google maps, camera app, youtube, messaging ....if you are a power user you may want to get the plus, if you manage your apps and use them sparingly you will probably be fine with the reg s9

Is the Note 8 running Oreo?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
It's speced to come with Nougat with an update to Oreo. (By this time, they may all have been updated. If not, they will as soon as Samsung releases it.)

claykin

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
My S8 running Oreo has 714Mb of free/ available RAM. For me this is typical whether I use few apps or have several open. However, I find some apps leak memory or don't release it and eventually phone gets sluggish as free/available drops below 200Mb.

S9+ and extra 2GB should help with this. Emphasis on should!

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
4GB should be fine and dandy for daily use

If you use it heavily, the extra RAM may be useful.
I think you are right. Pretty sure 6GB starts to become helpful is you are running a lot of stuff at the same time. Somehow comforting to have the headroom though. :)

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I think you are right. Pretty sure 6GB starts to become helpful is you are running a lot of stuff at the same time. Somehow comforting to have the headroom though. :)
I've had phones with 3GB, 4GB and 6GB of memory.

6GB on my Note8 is definitely nice, but I haven't really felt much of a difference, though that's probably because my last phone with less memory had less software overload.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
I have both the Note 8 and S8+ and the extra RAM definitely makes a difference. I also have the AT&T Blackberry KeyOne with 3GB of RAM and that is a painful device to use coming from the Note 8.

hasasimo

May 3, 2014
Visit site
I have both the Note 8 and S8+ and the extra RAM definitely makes a difference. I also have the AT&T Blackberry KeyOne with 3GB of RAM and that is a painful device to use coming from the Note 8.

I have a Nokia 8 with 4GB RAM and a Note8 with 6GB of RAM. If they aren't just as fluid and snappy as each other, it's actually the Nokia 8 that's slightly faster. Both run the same SD835 processor. So I guess it has more to do with Samsung's Grace UI than RAM. The Nokia 8 runs stock Android.

Either way, the difference is negligible at best, and unnoticeable the majority of the time.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
I have a Nokia 8 with 4GB RAM and a Note8 with 6GB of RAM. If they aren't just as fluid and snappy as each other, it's actually the Nokia 8 that's slightly faster. Both run the same SD835 processor. So I guess it has more to do with Samsung's Grace UI than RAM. The Nokia 8 runs stock Android.

Either way, the difference is negligible at best, and unnoticeable the majority of the time.

Yeah, Samsungs UI on top of heavy use it definitely needs the extra resource which is why I can notice a big difference between the S8+ and Note 8. My Pixel 2 XL only has 4gb of RAM and is a super smooth device. Love my Note 8 and continues to be my primary device and to me it does not suffer from the long term slowness issues as previous Samsung devices do. I know some reported otherwise but mine still runs smooth since release.