S9+ 4k recording and storage questions

gogoplata1980

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
in reality though, 1080 @ 60 is going to do almost all your needs. A friend's is a photographer and she laughs at her husband when he started bragging about the 4k on his iPhoneX. when she sat him down showed him the difference and what it takes to really see the difference he just uses the 1080.
4k60 is way better. There is no debating that.

Blow them up and then compare.

Extremevl

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
While it may sound odd but I would rather take my videos in different small parts so it makes me easier to edit and manage than a long video.

That said, this seems to be more of an Qualcomm SoC issue than Samsung as their Exonys version doesn’t have this limitation.

I don't think it's odd because that's your personal opinion, a lot of people take short videos for various reasons especially editing.

I just think Apple's option is far superior because you can take 4K@60FPS video until your phone runs out of memory or you can take short videos based on your own personal time preference instead of being forced to a 5 minute limit.

I like taking 4K@60FPS videos at concerts, shows, sporting events, work parties and so on making this limitation an issue...not the end of the world but a headache for sure.

I hope future Samsung Galaxy/Note devices don't have this limit...

Extremevl

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
in reality though, 1080 @ 60 is going to do almost all your needs. A friend's is a photographer and she laughs at her husband when he started bragging about the 4k on his iPhoneX. when she sat him down showed him the difference and what it takes to really see the difference he just uses the 1080.

Let's be honest...if it was the other way around then a lot of Samsung fans would be jumping all over Apple for this limitation especially with flagship phones now starting in the $700 - $800 price range for the base memory models.

Samsung is just outright beat in this area, for whatever reason, but hopefully that doesn't continue with the Note 9.

Last edited:

Quick Cal

Mar 3, 2018
Visit site
So can you transfer the 4k video from the internal storage to the sd card using the phone.

I'm planning a cross country trip on my Goldwing. I would hate to only be able to shoot only so much 4k footage. You would have to pick and choose what gets 4k,,,lol.

Extremevl

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
After recording in 4k for the 5 or 10 minute time limit, is the internal storage full?

Not at all

The S9/S9+ come with 64GB of internal memory for the North American models which leaves around 55GB or so out the box (OS takes a little chunk).

Based off this link (https://www.imore.com/how-shoot-trim-edit-and-share-4k-video-iphone[/B]) it shows that 4K@60FPS should take up around 400MB of memory per minute. This means you should be able to take slightly over 2 hours of 4K@60FPS video which would take up around 48GB - 52GB of memory.

The 5 minute 4K@60FPS video recording limit is set by the software but there is no official word from Samsung or Qualcomm explaining why the S9/S9+ have this limit.

The Qualcomm 845 chip has the raw power (https://www.qualcomm.com/products/snapdragon-845-mobile-platform[/B]) so I assume it's a power management or battery safety concern issue (phone heating up, etc)...

Last edited:

Quick Cal

Mar 3, 2018
Visit site

Not at all

The S9/S9+ come with 64GB of internal memory for the North American models which leaves around 55GB or so out the box (OS takes a little chunk).

Based off this link it shows that 4K@60FPS should take up around 400MB of memory per minute. This means you should be able to take slightly over 2 hours of 4K@60FPS video which would take up around 48GB - 52GB of memory.

https://www.imore.com/how-shoot-trim-edit-and-share-4k-video-iphone

The 5 minute 4K@60FPS video recording limit is set by the software but there is no official word from Samsung or Qualcomm explaining why the S9/S9+ have this limit...

Thank you for that.

So after the 5 minutes will the camera just stop dead and you have to restart it. Or will it just make separate files automatically like some dslr's do and keep filming.

Extremevl

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for that.

So after the 5 minutes will the camera just stop dead and you have to restart it. Or will it just make separate files automatically like some dslr's do and keep filming.

I'm wondering that myself, none of the videos that I've seen show what happens at the 5 minute mark.

I'm assuming it will stop the video and make you restart a new one because if it just makes a separate file but keeps recording then it wouldn't make sense to have the 5 minute limit in the first place.

Quick Cal

Mar 3, 2018
Visit site
I'm wondering that myself, none of the videos that I've seen show what happens at the 5 minute mark.

I'm assuming it will stop the video and make you restart a new one because if it just makes a separate file but keeps recording then it wouldn't make sense to have the 5 minute limit in the first place.

My son found something about why dslr's make separate files. It was due to the sd card. Something about fatfile or something. I can't find the info now.

Extremevl

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
My son found something about why dslr's make separate files. It was due to the sd card. Something about fatfile or something. I can't find the info now.

Interesting, do you know if DSLR's have to stop recording once they hit that limit or do they just makes a new file instantly so you don't have to stop recording?

Quick Cal

Mar 3, 2018
Visit site
Interesting, do you know if DSLR's have to stop recording once they hit that limit or do they just makes a new file instantly so you don't have to stop recording?

From what I read they keep recording. When you download it i's mov1, mov2, mov3, and so on.

Hmmm. I have dslr. Might be time for an experiment. Well scratch that. It doesn't shoot 4k,,,lol.

Extremevl

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
From what I read they keep recording. When you download it i's mov1, mov2, mov3, and so on.

Hmmm. I have dslr. Might be time for an experiment. Well scratch that. It doesn't shoot 4k,,,lol.

That wouldn't be too bad if you could keep recording but then I wonder why you couldn't just record continuously like the iPhone X...I'm thinking it's a heat issue.

Fred98TJ

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site

Not at all

Based off this link (https://www.imore.com/how-shoot-trim-edit-and-share-4k-video-iphone[/B]) it shows that 4K@60FPS should take up around 400MB of memory per minute. This means you should be able to take slightly over 2 hours of 4K@60FPS video which would take up around 48GB - 52GB of memory.

The 5 minute 4K@60FPS video recording limit is set by the software but there is no official word from Samsung or Qualcomm explaining why the S9/S9+ have this limit.

The Qualcomm 845 chip has the raw power (https://www.qualcomm.com/products/snapdragon-845-mobile-platform[/B]) so I assume it's a power management or battery safety concern issue (phone heating up, etc)...

And those files sizes are based on the fact that the iPhone 8, 8+ and X use HEVC formatting for 4k@60 files. Does the S9 have HEVC file format storage ? If not then the file sizes on the S9 are going to be a lot larger.

Extremevl

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
And those files sizes are based on the fact that the iPhone 8, 8+ and X use HEVC formatting for 4k@60 files. Does the S9 have HEVC file format storage ? If not then the file sizes on the S9 are going to be a lot larger.

I don't know what formatting the S/S9+ uses but Phone Arena says -

"not to mention the amount of internal memory the footage will occupy at that length anyway, even in the high-efficiency video format that the S9 recordings support"

https://www.phonearena.com/news/Gal...recording-4K-60fps-video-HEVC-format_id102945

I don't know if that means they use the HEVC file format storage or something similar?

Fred98TJ

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
After poking around some it appears that the S9 (and Plus) use HEVC (H.265) storage format, which is probably a given when recording at 4k@69fps. With the “old” H.264 format the file sizes would be massive.