S9+ 4k recording and storage questions

Quick Cal

Mar 3, 2018
Visit site
I ordered a 9+ last night from best buy. Now I've spent all day watching videos about it.

I've learned that it will only shoot 4k for 5 minutes. One guy said something about starting a new file. Does that mean it will do it on its own. Or does the camera shut off and you have to start all over. That's not good for making youtube videos. Could that be changed in settings. Or maybe a future update.

I also seen where it will not save 4k to the removable sd card. Could I transfer from the internal storage to the sd card. Or will I have to hook it up to a pc.

Thanks.

Extremevl

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
I ordered a 9+ last night from best buy. Now I've spent all day watching videos about it.

I've learned that it will only shoot 4k for 5 minutes. One guy said something about starting a new file. Does that mean it will do it on its own. Or does the camera shut off and you have to start all over. That's not good for making youtube videos. Could that be changed in settings. Or maybe a future update.

I also seen where it will not save 4k to the removable sd card. Could I transfer from the internal storage to the sd card. Or will I have to hook it up to a pc.

Thanks.

After 5 minutes you will have to end the video and then restart a new video which sucks! Sometimes I take videos longer than 5 minutes and if you're making videos for YouTube then yes this could be a deal breaker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO4MaohvLM0

Why the S9/S9+ have this limitation wasn't explained, the iPhone X does 4K@60FPS just fine with no heating issues and no limitations.

I read online it could have something to do with the 845 Snapdragon SOC version not being powerful enough or having some other issues with continuous recording at that resolution and Samsung not wanting the Exynos SOC version to seem/be superior so they put this restriction on all models globally...but that's all rumors and people guessing.

I personally wonder if Samsung is concerned about the devices heating up after continuous 4K@60FPS use and maybe affecting the battery...I don't know what it could be if the iPhone X has no issues and the 845 Snapdragon SOC is very powerful - https://www.qualcomm.com/products/snapdragon-845-mobile-platform

Hopefully this can be corrected with a future software/firmware update but I don't know if someone is willing to pay $700+ to $800+ on something that may or may not happen if taking long videos in high resolution is very important to them.

Just found this - https://mashable.com/2018/03/02/iph...xy-s9-4k-60-fps-video-recording/#xdHN1nifGiq3

Last edited:

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
While it may sound odd but I would rather take my videos in different small parts so it makes me easier to edit and manage than a long video.

That said, this seems to be more of an Qualcomm SoC issue than Samsung as their Exonys version doesn’t have this limitation.

Dooki

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site

Uh, even 10 min @ 30 fps it's still better than 5 min @ 60 fps.
We should be given the option as many have large SD cards and if none can write fast enough to an external card we should be given big enough internal storage to hold it. Or maybe the iPhone just a better option for recording in 4k.

BTW, that video only can be watched in 1080, so the 4k is not useful in that case. Looks really good though

I personally would prefer a 256 internal over an SD card as I have had cards fail.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Uh, even 10 min @ 30 fps it's still better than 5 min @ 60 fps.
We should be given the option as many have large SD cards and if none can write fast enough to an external card we should be given big enough internal storage to hold it. Or maybe the iPhone just a better option for recording in 4k.

BTW, that video only can be watched in 1080, so the 4k is not useful in that case. Looks really good though

I personally would prefer a 256 internal over an SD card as I have had cards fail.
The video can be watched in 1440P 60fps.

Via my Pixel 2 XL.....

77802e1baa97f76456010ca9e15eda6a.jpg

gogoplata1980

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, works fine on my phone and TV.

Oh, and while I agree having a limit sucks, 4k60 at 5 minutes is infinitely better than 4k30 at 10 minutes. My opinion, of course.

Quick Cal

Mar 3, 2018
Visit site
So am I missing something. But isn't that video shot in 4k60 over 6 minutes long. I thought it was only supposed to do 5 minutes?

Last edited:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
So am I missing something. But isn't that video shot in 4k60 over 6 minutes long. I thought it was only supposed to do 5 minutes?

The video is a bunch of cut scenes (all spliced together). He shows his whole ride into Disney / into the gates. You can't do that in 5 minutes haha :p.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
This is why having both an iPhone and an Android can be beneficial. It's stupid that Samsung caps 4K @ 60fps at 5 minutes when iPhone X can record it until the phone runs out of storage. This is one of the reason why I'm using the iPhone X as my daily driver at this point because I can record video in 4K @ 60fps with no time restrictions.

All of Samsung's devices should include the Exynos chip (which has always been better than the Qualcomm chip) in all of their devices. Qualcomm just stinks.

Dooki

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
in reality though, 1080 @ 60 is going to do almost all your needs. A friend's is a photographer and she laughs at her husband when he started bragging about the 4k on his iPhoneX. when she sat him down showed him the difference and what it takes to really see the difference he just uses the 1080.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty