My phone will only play the notification tone that is set under the settings screen. If I set it under the messages app it won't play the one I set.
    03-14-2018 07:10 PM
    This is on the stock messaging app?

Mav.
    03-14-2018 07:41 PM
    Same here. Been trying to figure out if the option is burried somewhere in the settings, but no luck. With my S8, I would just go directly to a contact>Details>Edit>View More...then click on message tone to customize the text message tone for each contact. The "message tone" option is completely missing from the S9+. I hope this gets addressed in an update.
    bellasara25 likes this.
    03-14-2018 09:22 PM
    I actually see the option but no matter what I select for the notification sound it doesn't change.
    03-14-2018 09:37 PM
    Yep, same issue here. I checked all permissions. I think it's a glitch.
    03-14-2018 09:40 PM
    Just for giggles, try Textra or another 3rd party messaging app from the Play Store and see if that works.

Mav.
    03-14-2018 09:52 PM
    I just got my s9 today. Same thing, the the option to set a custom message to for contacts field is removed. Will this be fixed, what I read is that it was taken away with Oreo 8.0.
    03-14-2018 10:45 PM
    God I hope so, like it is it's a text message fiasco
    03-22-2018 08:42 PM
    BTW I tried that Textra & it seems to be working for assigning notification sounds per contact. Just downloaded it lastnight so haven't had time to really mess with it.
    But yeah, I hope they fix that with an asap update.
    03-23-2018 12:39 PM
    Just for giggles, try Textra or another 3rd party messaging app from the Play Store and see if that works.

Mav.
    It does!
    03-23-2018 12:40 PM
    My phone will only play the notification tone that is set under the settings screen. If I set it under the messages app it won't play the one I set.
    Same here. Been trying to figure out if the option is burried somewhere in the settings, but no luck. With my S8, I would just go directly to a contact>Details>Edit>View More...then click on message tone to customize the text message tone for each contact. The "message tone" option is completely missing from the S9+. I hope this gets addressed in an update.
    Yep, same issue here. I checked all permissions. I think it's a glitch.
    I just got my s9 today. Same thing, the the option to set a custom message to for contacts field is removed. Will this be fixed, what I read is that it was taken away with Oreo 8.0.
    It does work... Change the setting under New Messages. Click the left hand side to enter the new messages settings

03-24-2018 03:09 AM
    Thanks to the poster above. I don’t think I would have ever figured this out myself. Now I am back to having separate sounds for my texts, work emails and personal emails.
    03-24-2018 09:32 PM
    That feature was actually removed from the native Contacts app on the S8+ devices after the update. So using a third party messaging app may have the feature but it will not be available in the native Contacts app; which means the user will add custom ringtones to the contacts in the Contacts app then go to the third party messaging app to add customer text message tones to each of those contacts. This is double work for a feature that originally came with the phone (which is not cheap); the same feature is also available in previous OS. I do not foresee Samsung fixing this issue no time soon and I would venture to say that all future Samsung phones will not include the text messaging tone field.
    03-25-2018 10:45 AM
    I updated my Galaxy S8 before traveling internationally, per the directions on the Sprint site. Previously, I had the field and ability to set individual text notifications per contact, so I would know from whom I was receiving texts. Now, that feature no longer exists, and it's extremely frustrating. So, I don't think it's an S9 issue; I think it's an Oreo update issue.

I sent a tweet and a direct message to Sprint and @SamsungSupport and I updated my Galaxy S8 before traveling internationally, per the directions on the Sprint site. Previously, I had the field and ability to set individual text notifications per contact, so I would know from whom I was receiving texts. Now, that feature no longer exists, and it's extremely frustrating. So, I don't think it's an S9 issue; I thinksm it's an Oreo update issue.

I sent a tweet and a direct message to Sprint and @SamsungSupport and this is what I received. Sorry, I couldn't figure out how to add the screen shot to this thread:

"Hi, Jersey. Thanks for reaching out. I understand that this feature is important for you, however, this is one of the changes occurred after the updates. Nevertheless, we value your feedback regarding this feature, you may use this link to voice out your input: https://t.co/BoCvDkfBlv. If you have other questions, feel free to ask. ^Justine"
    04-01-2018 09:18 AM
    Go to your samsung folder and click on "my files"

Create a new folder and name it "media"

Inside "media" folder, create another folder name it "notifications"

Go to your internal storage and find the ringtone/text tone you want to use and move/copy them to "notifications" folder.

Voila.

Thanks to this dude. Worked for me on my s9 plus:
    04-11-2018 11:41 PM
    If I click on sound I don't get to the second screen with the vibrate option.
    08-28-2018 10:52 AM
    If I click on sound I don't get to the second screen with the vibrate option.
    08-28-2018 12:12 PM