Galaxy S9+ Black Crush and Gradient Banding Issues

Squarrow

Apr 13, 2017
Visit site
Poor resolution with 960fps is normal. Change to 240fps for normal slo-mo.
You use iMessage but outside the US, no one really uses it.

Both are things you could have known before buying S9+.

If display is really you're issue than wait for possible fix, or buy Note 8 instead. If you already have iPhone X, I understand your decision.

But there are some things I noticed to this black crushing and that it's not always present under different circumstances (still the same device). So I hope it's software related. But on the other hand I see that some devices have more issues than others so that implies it could be hardware related.

Let's hope Samsung will investigate this issue and come with an answer.

Yeah I'm not saying I was shook by iMessage not being there, I'm sayin that "eh if these other issues exist it makes iMessage another reason to go back instead of an obstacle to over come to stand firm."

I do already have the X. I'm more bummed than anything because theres a lot to like abour this phone. The slo-mo thing is more about my videos having a lot for the camera to compose, waterfalls in a forest during a snowfall. Scenes of like a match being lit look better.

They are calibrated that way. My thing is, who cares what the branding is, I dont pledge allegiance to a brand. Apple has the best all around display in the game right now. True tone, accuracy, none of this gradient or crush stuff. It's on point and it is what it is.

Last edited by a moderator:

TiCuS_

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
They are calibrated that way. My thing is, who cares what the branding is, I dont pledge allegiance to a brand. Apple has the best all around display in the game right now. True tone, accuracy, none of this gradient or crush stuff. It's on point and it is what it is.
Everybody agrees??

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Everybody agrees??
That's the expert's consensus.

Apple's displays have generally been exceptionally well calibrated along with their use of highly binned displays.

The X used the best of what Samsung's OLED manufacturing could kick out and it probably is still the best OLED on any phone right now in terms of accuracy.

Reuben Chew

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
Ok I finally managed to replicate the black crushing issue and it gets really irritating when you see it.

If you have Netflix try watching friends from.college, season 1 episode 5 from 1:10 onwards. The sky is simply crushed to black.

Toss3

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Saw someone mentioning that they didn't remember having the issue on earlier firmwares (on XDA) - anyone still on ARB3 that could check it out?

Squarrow

Apr 13, 2017
Visit site
Im not anymore, but interesting that you bring up that point because I had purposefully been avoiding this thread because of the way people are prone to complaining about nothing in forums (Macrumors is the worst lol) and the other night after updating I was watching a vid and thought "damn this looks awful, must be tired."

Next day I read this thread and here we are. But I feel like I wasn't seeing this before...could be in my imagination though.

Reuben Chew

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
Just wondering if you guys could help with a simple test:

ITUyrgf.jpg

Let me know which squares you see are completely black, at 30 and 100 percent brightness. Mine is completely black at 7 and 4 respectively.

Squarrow

Apr 13, 2017
Visit site
Just called in too Samsung again and was told that they have no exchange policy inside 14 days. ������������

I am "more than welcome" to return my device and re-purchase. If there were any promotions I used I can "request" to have them reapplied.

If I was a normal person purchasing phones occasionally and not a phone nerd who buys them all the time my head would explode.

I pre-ordered their flagship product, got a defective unit and was told to go **** myself. The guy also lied about the manufacturers warranty. Said there isn't one. Again, I know it is a year, but it's interesting to hear just how chitty Samsung's customer service is.

I think Displaymate will disagree ������

They clearly haven't watched a video on the device then. Why dark folks faces turn into eyes and teeth floating on a sea of pixels?

Last edited by a moderator:

Squarrow

Apr 13, 2017
Visit site
I'm going to attempt flashing the day 1 firmware because I really don't recall having this issue intially. May also try flashing the unlocked firmware.

I'll report back with deets.

Also, screen balance app helps a bit.

Reuben Chew

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
Thanks! Please let us know if flashing back fixes it.

I noticed that even when I use the screen balance app, there is another issue of black pixels "dancing" in videos. Sort of like a dithering effect. Does anyone get that too?

Squarrow

Apr 13, 2017
Visit site
They probably got a unit without the defect

A sidebar on defects and this phone, if you purchased directly from Samsung, they aren't doing exchanges. Had two reps tell me that today. That is, frankly, a joke.

Day 1 firmware can be found on SamFirm app or XDA:

X-U is the Carrier FW where X is equal to the specific carrier.

U1 = Unlocked

You'll need patched Odin and the proper firmware.

Reuben Chew

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for testing this out. Has anyone tried the Display Tester app and check the banding test and swipe until you see the black saturation test? At 30% and 100% brightness, I can see only up to boxes 8 and 5 respectively (i.e. 7 and 4 and below show up as black to me). I wonder if there is any consistency to this in which case an easy fix may be devised by Samsung...

Otherwise I guess we have to wait until the s10

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaee