carrier or unlocked?

victoryrules8

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
so I know this question gets asked every release cycle, but with every release cycle it seems as though Sammy is getting a little better with unlocked variants. for the people who got the unlocked s9 over a carrier variant how has it been so far? still missing visual voicemail, wifi calling etc? and how are the carrier variants? the Verizon variant in particular, is the software similar? or did Verizon tweak and or leave out some unlocked features? just curious how everything is getting along?

LazyLightning

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
I'm curious about this too. Was thinking of ordering unlocked s9 and putting it on Verizon.

Samsung is offering some gear vr bundles and $200 off my S7 trade-in. Verizon is just offering buy 1 get 1 free and $98 for my trade in. I have no use for a second phone and line. I guess I missed the $300 trade ins

Don't want to lose any important features

LJSquishy

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
Unlocked has visual voice mail but not sure about WiFi calling. I don't use that feature so is there a place for me to check for you and see?

wrich2005

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
There's no wifi or video calling if you have Verizon which I do. I use the video calling a lot so its a deal breaker for me I'll probably be returning it.

LazyLightning

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
I have Verizon, I don't really use video calling but I do use wifi calling.

Maybe I'll switch to at&t if Verizon won't give me the trade in credit.

Too bad, I like the Samsung unlocked deal

Kayza

Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
What really annoys me is not the stuff that's carrier dependent - that's on the carriers. But why on earth does it take so long to get updates out? They complain about the carriers, but it takes at least as long to get it to unlocked phones. So, that's just a smoke screen.

ThrowinRocks

Nov 7, 2017
Visit site
I've had the unlocked and switched back to Verizon. Too many features lost on the unlocked. VVM, WiFi calling, unable to talk and surf the web at the same time and I never had HD calling. With the Verizon version I have it all.
I know if you have T-Mobile you'll be good to go if you want the Unlocked version.

rimz808

Sep 28, 2016
Visit site
I have an unlock on At&t. been using an unlock mate 9 on att for past year as well. haven't had any problems. I don't use wi fi calling. Love the unlock version since it doesn't come with all of the carrier bloatware.

MrDoh

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Yes, Verizon has wifi calling for the S9. It worked really well when I was on Verizon with the Pixel phone and iPhone, once it was turned on. You can give Verizon customer service a call and they'll help you turn it on, since you're having problems.

I'm on T-Mobile, and wifi calling works well, turned on easy as flipping a switch *smile*. Oh yeah, it was flipping a switch *smile*.

MrDoh

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
That's what caused me to buy a phone from T-Mobile, rather than an unlocked S9 from Samsung. I was reading that users that had branded phones got more consistent updates than those that didn't. That was enough for me, I really want to get the monthly Android security and bug fix updates.

ThrowinRocks

Nov 7, 2017
Visit site
I'm sure it's the same for all carriers but to see if your Wi-Fi calling is on just go to Settings>Connections>Wi-Fi Calling and toggle it on.

ThrowinRocks

Nov 7, 2017
Visit site
I think it's the carriers choice. So once you insert your AT&T SIM it turns it off.
I know Unlocked on T-Mobile works also but not sure about Sprint. I had an Unlocked Pixel 2 and when I put my Verizon SIM in the phone it actually installed 3 Verizon Apps and mine was from the Google Store.

LazyLightning

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
I'm confused too now. I thought unlocked would not work on Verizon or att wifi calling, I'm about to buy one of them and would love to know real answer.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Carrier version for sure if you're on AT&T. If unlocked you won't get Wifi Calling, Advanced Messaging, the built in Video Calling from the phone app, etc.

Other carriers may allow it but as soon as pop in an AT&T sim it won't.

LazyLightning

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
I'm confused too now. I thought unlocked would not work on Verizon or att wifi calling, I'm about to buy one of them and would love to know real answer.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apkmodyo