How often do you charge your S9+ / S9 phones?

Rj Erese

Mar 20, 2018
Visit site
As the thread title goes, can you guys share your general battery life experience with S9+/S9?

My S9+ would typically be at around 10-15% in about 12 hours during the day time and around 12-13 during night time to morning/afternoon.

My usual usage:

Occasional use of Bluetooth mouse and keyboard and earphones.
Spotify in the background (maybe around 2-3 hours)
Occasional viewing in youtube
Mobile data typically turned on for 6-8 hours during the day then WIFI turned on at home during the night till AM
Usual social media and linkedin browsing
Playing vainglory for around 30-mins to 1 hour (top and cumulative use, not straight 1 hour)
disabled bixby
minimized notifications although for some reason, the phone still vibrates for incoming notifications, messaging, facebook, linkedin, email, etc.
Minimal calls and text

can you share yours?

Many thanks!

RockyMin

Feb 25, 2016
Visit site
I just put mine in the wireless charger when I get home from work. And it usually stays there until the next morning when I leave again. It's usually at about 80-85% when I get home from work and put it on the charger.

rjack22

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I leave mine on my wireless charger all the time except when I take it with me somewhere. I am a housewife so generally home a lot.

makaroni

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I wait until mine gets to 15% and then I charge it up. I read that cell phone batteries last longer when you charge them in cycles. Let them get low, then charge em back up. I usually only have to do this once a day unless I'm on my phone a lot more than usual

mynameiserich

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Full cycles like this were from the days of nickel-based batteries. Now all phones are using Lithium-Ion batteries and you you can charge it as much as you want, regardless of the percentage. One "cycle" is once you've increased the charge to 100%, over as many times as you put it on a charger.

vwite

Dec 26, 2016
Visit site
I charge overnight and once a day, I use around 125% a day.

With the note 8 it was around 160% so I can charge a little less with the s9+ but still won't last a day

vwite

Dec 26, 2016
Visit site
I wait until mine gets to 15% and then I charge it up. I read that cell phone batteries last longer when you charge them in cycles. Let them get low, then charge em back up. I usually only have to do this once a day unless I'm on my phone a lot more than usual

This is so wrong, for longest life on Li-Ion batteries, they should be between 40 and 80% all the time, I don't really care and charge to 100% all the time and on the evening when I'm not close to a charger it falls below 40% but if you are purposely waiting and letting it fall to 15% when you could charge when it's at 40% you should do so.

I wouldn't suggest to take my word or any other random guy's word on the internet but you could make a little research yourself

MooMooPrincess

Sep 25, 2017
Visit site
I'd check you settings or something. This is e. Longest lasting device I have had in a long while. I'm getting 6 hrs of SOT each day. Very impressive at least for me. I haven't had a device yet over 4 hrs in years.
I have the same apps/settings as my 2xl and it gets 7+ hr SOT before hitting 20%, my s9+ can do 4-5 and that's before it dies. I'm sure it's just the att firmware itself

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I charge 2x a day on my s9+, it just doesn't last long.
I've noticed pretty good battery life, better than my Note 8. Perhaps your settings are set more towards "High" (High accuracy GPS, WQHD resolution, high-to-full brightness, Bluetooth and NFC always on?) than towards battery conservation. I'm just thinking what might drain these things quickly.

I have the same apps/settings as my 2xl and it gets 7+ hr SOT before hitting 20%, my s9+ can do 4-5 and that's before it dies. I'm sure it's just the att firmware itself

Have you disabled/uninstalled any of the bloat?

MooMooPrincess

Sep 25, 2017
Visit site
I've noticed pretty good battery life, better than my Note 8. Perhaps your settings are set more towards "High" (High accuracy GPS, WQHD resolution, high-to-full brightness, Bluetooth and NFC always on?) than towards battery conservation. I'm just thinking what might drain these things quickly.
I have location on battery saving, mobile data always active off, device search off, wqhd on, Bluetooth and wifi search off,did gaervicefix 3x, brightness at 30-35%, yoru for substratum. I turn off Bluetooth and wifi when not in use and I have nfc off. I turned off most things for notifications and I do have aod on on the middle brightness. Intelligent scanner is off as well.

My point is my 2xl hits 7+ hrs sot before 20% and it's on 1440p display as well. Sigh,
Funny enough my note 8 actually hit 8hrs sot quite often before it died but 7hrs as well sot before 20% at 50% brightness with wqhd. So idk

I think it may just be the att firmware, my note 8 wasn't on the att firmware so maybe that's what it is.

CKwik240

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
I keep mine on a charger as much as I can. while there is an optimal range, there is also a depth of discharge to be concerned with. On days where I'm at my desk most of the time, my phone stays at 100% most of the time. and that means it's not going through a charge cycle and any charge cycle that occurs when I take the phone of the charger is going to have a very low depth of discharge. Trying to keep it in some optimal range without a way to keep it plugged in and just maintaining that charge level is too tedious and could introduce larger depths of discharge. It's an extremely complicated topic and probably not worth the effort to do anything other than keep it plugged in as often as practical.

irock1985

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I try and do at least two complete Cycles from a low charge to full and then after that just charge it however or whenever I feel like it. I find it when you first get a phone or after a hard reset it's best to let the software know what its full range is.

Basically giving it correct information for it to make its estimations off of

1e84e3100736ff660487eb0fca237f52.jpg

makaroni

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
This is so wrong, for longest life on Li-Ion batteries, they should be between 40 and 80% all the time, I don't really care and charge to 100% all the time and on the evening when I'm not close to a charger it falls below 40% but if you are purposely waiting and letting it fall to 15% when you could charge when it's at 40% you should do so.

I wouldn't suggest to take my word or any other random guy's word on the internet but you could make a little research yourself
I did a little research and that's what I previously got. I read more into it today and saw that you are correct. With the newer batteries they have tweaked the ion exchange and it should be charged to almost full and then used until about or around 40%. They should be allowed to run all the way down about once a month so the battery can last as long as it should. I am not a battery geek so I don't read about lithium batteries in my free time, so I was just stating what I previously read in an article a while ago. Either way I read up and I am more knowledgeable now. Thanks for the tip.

vwite

Dec 26, 2016
Visit site
I did a little research and that's what I previously got. I read more into it today and saw that you are correct. With the newer batteries they have tweaked the ion exchange and it should be charged to almost full and then used until about or around 40%. They should be allowed to run all the way down about once a month so the battery can last as long as it should. I am not a battery geek so I don't read about lithium batteries in my free time, so I was just stating what I previously read in an article a while ago. Either way I read up and I am more knowledgeable now. Thanks for the tip.

yeah I ain't a battery geek either but sometimes is good to know, maybe it is actually easier to you to just drop it on the wireless charger whenever you're not using the phone and are close to the mat instead of overthinking it and without worrying about "no, I have to wait until it is 15%" which would stress your mind even if it's just a little bit and would end up being actually worse for the battery

makaroni

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
yeah I ain't a battery geek either but sometimes is good to know, maybe it is actually easier to you to just drop it on the wireless charger whenever you're not using the phone and are close to the mat instead of overthinking it and without worrying about "no, I have to wait until it is 15%" which would stress your mind even if it's just a little bit and would end up being actually worse for the battery
You're absolutely right man. Thanks again