How often do you charge your S9+ / S9 phones?

neo158

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site
Full cycles like this were from the days of nickel-based batteries. Now all phones are using Lithium-Ion batteries and you you can charge it as much as you want, regardless of the percentage. One "cycle" is once you've increased the charge to 100%, over as many times as you put it on a charger.

That's exactly it, no need to charge a phone to 100% anymore as little more frequent charges are actually more beneficial than one long overnight charge. Actually charging overnight can reduce battery life due to frequent charging from 95% to 100%.

kmillermt

Mar 21, 2018
Visit site
Since my S-8 did an update yesterday, my assigned text tones for people are gone, ande the option to assign them again is gone. Can i not do this anymore??

ADavis94

Mar 2, 2018
Visit site
I charge my phone at the end of every night. I typically put my phone on the charger around 9pm and take it off in the morning at 7:30. Battery last me all day. Through out the day I'm usually watching youtube videos, or live video, facebook, and texting. My battery typically gets down to 15-20% by bed time. It's doing a lot better than my s6 did towards the end.

CKwik240

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
That's exactly it, no need to charge a phone to 100% anymore as little more frequent charges are actually more beneficial than one long overnight charge. Actually charging overnight can reduce battery life due to frequent charging from 95% to 100%.

Having a phone sit at 100% on a charger means it's not discharging. This means electrons aren't moving. And this means wear on the battery is at a minimum. Unless you have an app that can hold the charge at the ideal SOC, chances are you are going to oscillate around it. Which causes more wear on the battery. Battery wear is generally most dependent on charge cycles. Which means holding it at a SOC is better for the battery than trying to maintain a range.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Having a phone sit at 100% on a charger means it's not discharging. This means electrons aren't moving. And this means wear on the battery is at a minimum. Unless you have an app that can hold the charge at the ideal SOC, chances are you are going to oscillate around it. Which causes more wear on the battery. Battery wear is generally most dependent on charge cycles. Which means holding it at a SOC is better for the battery than trying to maintain a range.
This is incorrect, as simply being at a high voltage shortens their lives as well. I used to do like you and kept mine charged almost all the time. My battery was toast in 6 months. This article has some great info on this and other charging habits.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

One paragraph of note on this topic:

Besides selecting the best-suited voltage thresholds for a given application, a regular Li-ion should not remain at the high-voltage ceiling of 4.20V/cell for an extended time. The Li-ion charger turns off the charge current and the battery voltage reverts to a more natural level. This is like relaxing the muscles after a strenuous exercise.

Note that the 4.2V cutoff it mentions is a little outdated, as advancements are now allowing batteries to charge to 4.4V. Still, it's not as simple as counting cycles. The voltage levels themselves can hurt a battery. Too high and too low will both cause issues, and is why batteries are shipped with a partial "storage charge."

CKwik240

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
This is incorrect, as simply being at a high voltage shortens their lives as well. I used to do like you and kept mine charged almost all the time. My battery was toast in 6 months. This article has some great info on this and other charging habits.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

Note that the 4.2V cutoff it mentions is a little outdated, as advancements are now allowing batteries to charge to 4.4V. Still, it's not as simple as counting cycles. The voltage levels themselves can hurt a battery. Too high and too low will both cause issues, and is why batteries are shipped with a partial "storage charge."

I don't disagree that holding a partial charge can be better for battery life, the fact is charge cycles do make a difference. It would be more ideal of you could have a function that holds the charge at 80% while changing overnight, but no such function exists. For most people, I think holding at 100% overnight will result in better life than discharging from 80% to whatever it ends up at.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I don't disagree that holding a partial charge can be better for battery life, the fact is charge cycles do make a difference. It would be more ideal of you could have a function that holds the charge at 80% while changing overnight, but no such function exists. For most people, I think holding at 100% overnight will result in better life than discharging from 80% to whatever it ends up at.
Yes, cycles do count, but it's not the only factor as your earlier replies claimed. For a sealed battery, I'd do everything I can to prolong its life (though I own a V20, so this isn't as critical for me). Cycles, dwelling at high or low voltages, temps, and simply time all play a role in battery life. If you are keeping your battery fully charged almost all the time, you are damaging it, more so than cycling it between 40-80%. Li-ion batteries prefer a happy medium in almost all aspects.

If you really must have a full battery to start the day, I'd charge to about 80% before bed and let it stay there over night, then top off in the morning while getting ready for your day. That will at least limit the amount of time it's held at a full charge.

neo158

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site
Yes, cycles do count, but it's not the only factor as your earlier replies claimed. For a sealed battery, I'd do everything I can to prolong its life (though I own a V20, so this isn't as critical for me). Cycles, dwelling at high or low voltages, temps, and simply time all play a role in battery life. If you are keeping your battery fully charged almost all the time, you are damaging it, more so than cycling it between 40-80%. Li-ion batteries prefer a happy medium in almost all aspects.

If you really must have a full battery to start the day, I'd charge to about 80% before bed and let it stay there over night, then top off in the morning while getting ready for your day. That will at least limit the amount of time it's held at a full charge.

Yet leaving it on the charger at 100% doesn't damage the battery so charging to 100% isn't going to make a difference.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Yet leaving it on the charger at 100% doesn't damage the battery so charging to 100% isn't going to make a difference.
I'll direct you to my earlier comment and link I provided stating that leaving at 100% does in fact damage them.

rimz808

Sep 28, 2016
Visit site
I charge it over night every night. I envy those who say that they can get more than a days charge and over 6 hrs SOT. For me on average I get about 3 hours SOT. so I have to always charge it up over night. it must be my cell signal with AT&t. all the phones I've had in the past (iPhones and Android phones) never lasted for more than a day.

still waiting for that phone which will give me 6 hours SOT, but I came to realize that that may never happen

bIOforger

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site
Once everyday overnight, sometimes once every 2 days depending on usage. I leave it at 100% for a few hours as its only takes what 1-2hrs to do a full charge from about 20%, always done this always will, never had a battery issue (Touch wood).

Getting epic batt life on the s9+ exynos usually 24 hrs uptime and 4-5hrs screen on time or more.

People who are gettting 6-9hrs screen on time and 24hrs uptime are usually more than likely shutting off all data/wifi/notifications when the phone is asleep and/or watching vids/reading ebooks for hours to boost their SOT for bragging rights on the internet ;)

Last edited:

ScottsoNJ

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
I have location on battery saving, mobile data always active off, device search off, wqhd on, Bluetooth and wifi search off,did gaervicefix 3x, brightness at 30-35%, yoru for substratum. I turn off Bluetooth and wifi when not in use and I have nfc off. I turned off most things for notifications and I do have aod on on the middle brightness. Intelligent scanner is off as well.

My point is my 2xl hits 7+ hrs sot before 20% and it's on 1440p display as well. Sigh,
Funny enough my note 8 actually hit 8hrs sot quite often before it died but 7hrs as well sot before 20% at 50% brightness with wqhd. So idk

I think it may just be the att firmware, my note 8 wasn't on the att firmware so maybe that's what it is.

Try installing BK Package Disabler. Then you can freeze all the AT&T bloat

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
So I had a 7 edge and had to charge at work every day my signal isn't that great with Sprint. But I loved the phone and always had a charger with me. Got the Note back in December never had to charge my phone at work anymore I loved it. I don't turn stuff off just to save on battery stuff I use anyway. But I work 2nd shift and every night phone sits on the wireless charger. I wake up and when I get to low 90's or 85 or so I top it off and like to be in the 90's to a 100 for work and after 8 hours and I am on wifi my signals not the best I leave work with maybe 30% or less. Well last week after the Oreo update it seemed to me I was getting better battery leaving work with 40-50% and was like that's good.

Than on Sunday I sold the Note and got the S9 plus. I was off Monday but Tuesday I left with maybe 20 something% I wished it was better but as long as I didn't have to charge it at work I was happy even though I keep the charger in my purse. Last night I left with 32% but I haven't fully tweaked my settings yet but am open for suggestions.

I have wireless chargers in my house too so like now I have it sitting in the charger its at 95% been up since 10am and haven't done too much on phone am on my computer. My NFC is off but me and my husband had our Note on the highest screen resolution WQHD and the night I came home with 20% I happened to check and mine was on FHD and I said to my husband which one did we have our Note on and he said WQHD so I changed it. I keep location on battery saving mode and I use Bluetooth with my Gear S3 watch.

I haven't looked at email settings yet but on older phones I would have it said not to check too quickly or mostly just download when I open mail. I do use AOD I like it and I like I said I won't turn stuff off just to save on battery. My 7Edge I had a quick charge battery pack on the Note 8 it wouldn't fast charge I found out I needed a 3.0 one but never really needed one cause of battery being so good. Anyway I just got my S9plus so I was browsing the threads here. Haven't had the phone long enough but am curious what my battery will be at tonight when I leave work. I also am using Intelligent Scan I like it. But if their is other stuff I can do let me know but I don't turn stuff off I got the phone to use it. Oh and mine is unlocked.

I charge overnight and once a day, I use around 125% a day.

With the note 8 it was around 160% so I can charge a little less with the s9+ but still won't last a day

Bankokbob54

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
As with every subject there is way too much info out there. I don't mean to say less info is better, but there are just so many opposite opinions it can be difficult to figure out what is better advice. I'm seeing fairly consistent info that says, do NOT charge your phone overnight when you're sleeping. I'm seeing that they kinda recommend not to charge past 80%, and that will add major life to your battery. I split the difference and charge to 90%. I'm not a power user and carry a small power bank with me, so I'm not concerned of having a phone with a dead battery at any given time. The newest tidbit I picked up was to go through the procedure to get "developer options" look at the running services and see if NON necessary apps are running at say, 75mb+. For me it was an app I had for a wake up alarm and it was consuming 121mb. I uninstalled it and presto, my battery drain stopped. I was beginning to think my battery was on it's way out because it's two yrs old, so I was happy to see that I wasn't going to have to pay someone to replace the battery in my S7. My new S9 is just fantastic in every way especially battery life. I'm not using it a lot yet, so I'm going like 3-4 days on a single charge. Oreo seems to play well with the S9. I get the message bubble etc, etc.

Abbers727

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
I'm torn about using AOD. I love to save battery but I also really like AOD... I feel like I do save some battery, not having AOD on.

brad419

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Just throw mine on the charger when I want to. Will probably get another phone before the battery dies. This 40%-80% is too damn complicated. I think there are some people that just overthiink every thing, and that is great, but not for me.

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
I'm torn about using AOD. I love to save battery but I also really like AOD... I feel like I do save some battery, not having AOD on.

AOD sucks it down. I turned that feature off. Don't really care.

Today I've had 3.25 hours voice calls, 1 hour 9 minutes screen on, and the system tells me I've been running it 12 hours since I unplugged it this morning--and at the current rate, have a life of 14 hours left.

I can extend that 14 hours to 48 hours if I use the "max" power saving mode.