Is my S9+ camera defective?

goji26

Mar 10, 2018
Visit site
I agree with you, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. When my wife saw her picture and asked for affirmation that her skin looked good, I didn't have the heart to tell her that it was the S9+'s camera

But I hope they offer some sort of fix or option (and fast). I was hoping to keep this thing for at least 2 years, given the cash I shelled out for it.
Haha...yeah you have a point there. It truly looks like Samsung has the "beauty" processing tuned too high.

mack 73

Apr 10, 2018
Visit site
Just came across this: https://www.gsmarena.com/galaxy_s9_...m_two_sources_sony_and_inhouse-news-30480.php

So depending where you buy your S9 or S9+, you will have a different camera sensor (Sony made or Samsung made). I wonder if this plays a part in not everybody being as displeased with the camera as I am... For reference, I am in the UK.

Very interesting. I am overall happy with my camera. AIDA64 says rear facing is a SONY_IMX345, front is a SONY_IMX320 in my S9 snapdragon unlocked

Can people who are happy/unhappy post up what they have?

mlblack16

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site
Just came across this: https://www.gsmarena.com/galaxy_s9_...m_two_sources_sony_and_inhouse-news-30480.php

So depending where you buy your S9 or S9+, you will have a different camera sensor (Sony made or Samsung made). I wonder if this plays a part in not everybody being as displeased with the camera as I am... For reference, I am in the UK.

Not sure if it's of any benefit since I too notice the camera is way over hyped, but both sensors in my snapdragon variant on Verizon are Sony.

waveuk

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I am very happy with the camera and have the Samsung sensor (UK).

I think some of the issues people are having are due to the low aperture and deep of field generated. I found the autofocus to move quickly so in many times not focussing where I wanted.

I am now fixing the focus (press and hold for a bit) and getting very good results.

Michael_Archangel

Mar 20, 2018
Visit site
But the S9+ is still [URL=https://forums.androidcentral.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1]#1 [/URL]
also why is the Pixel so low for noise?
Does it really matter? I'm sure they all take great photos no matter who is rated 1st 2nd or 5th

Actually no, the Huawei P20 Pro is #1 , miles ahead of the S9+. And I am seriously impressed by the shots I'm seeing here: https://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=880507&p=6216267&viewfull=1#post6216267

Whereas the photos in the S9 photo thread are very underwhelming. I have ordered the P20 Pro and hope to be satisfied, getting the phone tomorrow...

ScottsoNJ

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
Actually no, the Huawei P20 Pro is #1 , miles ahead of the S9+. And I am seriously impressed by the shots I'm seeing here: https://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=880507&p=6216267&viewfull=1#post6216267

Whereas the photos in the S9 photo thread are very underwhelming. I have ordered the P20 Pro and hope to be satisfied, getting the phone tomorrow...

It's rated higher then everything including the Pixel XL
I'm surprised it's review is not glowing. And why make a phone with a glass back and not include wireless charging ????

Last edited:

mlblack16

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site

Michael_Archangel

Mar 20, 2018
Visit site
And why make a phone with a glass back and not include wireless charging ????

A bit off topic, but I never understood the point of wireless charging. I'd rather have a small wire going into my phone instead of a large ugly pad on my table which also has a wire going into it... And it's so much slower than using a fast charger! And you have to buy that pad and it's not cheap.

bIOforger

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site
A bit off topic, but I never understood the point of wireless charging. I'd rather have a small wire going into my phone instead of a large ugly pad on my table which also has a wire going into it... And it's so much slower than using a fast charger! And you have to buy that pad and it's not cheap.

OT, but yea indeed. There's 2 benefits, as you don't have to plug the cable in there's less wear n tear on the phone's usb-c port. And its more convenient just to lay the phone on a pad than plugging the cable into the phone and then a wall point (well if you are really lazy, which most people are these days ;) )

Michael_Archangel

Mar 20, 2018
Visit site
OT, but yea indeed. There's 2 benefits, as you don't have to plug the cable in there's less wear n tear on the phone's usb-c port. And its more convenient just to lay the phone on a pad than plugging the cable into the phone and then a wall point (well if you are really lazy, which most people are these days ;) )

I don't think plugging in something once or twice a day for 2 or 3 years would wear out the USB port, it would last for many times the lifespan of the phone. And my fast charger stays plugged into the wall (the same as you would need to leave your charging pad plugged into the wall if you did not want to plug it in each time).

bIOforger

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site
I don't think plugging in something once or twice a day for 2 or 3 years would wear out the USB port, it would last for many times the lifespan of the phone. And my fast charger stays plugged into the wall (the same as you would need to leave your charging pad plugged into the wall if you did not want to plug it in each time).

lol i was agreeing with you partially, anyway I didn't say it would, i said it would cause LESS wear n tear especially if you are plugging in other USB devices too.

ScottsoNJ

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site

But my Samsung wireless charger has fast charging. Granted probably not as fast as wired fast charging but faster then a regular wireless charger.

waqqas31

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
You reported the pics on the rear Cam are grainy...are they better than what the stock Cam currently produces? I don't care about the front camera or portrait mode

Which one is better might come down to personal preference. I tried to do an on-the-fly sample for you. The brighter photo is the Samsung Camera. If you zoom in to the blue Logitech mouse logo, you can see the trade-offs better.

Attachments

• 12655.jpg
    12655.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 36

waqqas31

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
Which one is better might come down to personal preference. I tried to do an on-the-fly sample for you. The brighter photo is the Samsung Camera. If you zoom in to the blue Logitech mouse logo, you can see the trade-offs better.

Samsung camera app:

Attachments

• 12656.jpg
    12656.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 86

mlblack16

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site

So, is that taken in HDR+ ? Or regular HDR mode?

Michael_Archangel

Mar 20, 2018
Visit site
Another review just out that shows how soft the Galaxy S9 is in low light and when showing details of hair: https://www.androidauthority.com/samsung-galaxy-s9-plus-vs-google-pixel-2-xl-camera-850727/

Interesting this one as well which also compares the same shots to the S8, whose camera sensor is identical to the S7: https://www.androidauthority.com/samsung-galaxy-s9-camera-comparison-847145/

I think after so many reviews we can now be fairly convinced that the answer to this thread was: no my S9 was not defective, this is just how the phone is, and it is indeed worse than the S7 and S8 in those conditions...

Attachments

• Beard GS9.png
    Beard GS9.png
    772.7 KB · Views: 60
  • Beard PX2.png
    Beard PX2.png
    778.6 KB · Views: 58
  • Low light GS9.png
    Low light GS9.png
    788.8 KB · Views: 57
  • Low light GS8.png
    Low light GS8.png