Stop power monitor notification when phone is opened?

MrDoh

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I'd like to turn off the notifications that the app power monitor has killed or put to sleep a process that I get when I open my phone. I like that Android is doing this, but I don't need to hear about it all the time. So I don't want to turn this off, but I also don't want to get a notification about it when I open my phone.

The only setting that I found for this is under the 3-dot screen "Advanced" on the "Battery" screen, which appears to be a notification setting for the "App Power Monitor". However, I can't tell if this is just turning off the notification, or the whole function from the way that the description of this setting is worded. I'm a little nervous that if I turn this notification off using this switch, that I'll also be turning off the functionality.

Does anyone out there know if this switch just turns off the notification, or if it turns off the app power monitor?

Thanks!

Last edited:

MrDoh

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Okay, in lieu of an answer, I've turned off the notification mentioned above, and I'll see how that affects the battery.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
You really should kill that app - Android doesn't need a 3rd party app to kill apps if it needs the space. (And an app just sitting in RAM doesn't consume any power.) But the app consumes power, so killing it would probably save some battery power.

(That setting just turns off the notification. But you want to turn off the "functionality" - which is actually disfunctionality.)

MrDoh

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
You really should kill that app - Android doesn't need a 3rd party app to kill apps if it needs the space. (And an app just sitting in RAM doesn't consume any power.) But the app consumes power, so killing it would probably save some battery power.

(That setting just turns off the notification. But you want to turn off the "functionality" - which is actually disfunctionality.)

I've read that here and there on the internet. Worth a try, just need to find the app that's doing it, and see if I can "kill" it. I'm not rooted, so have limited ability to kill or uninstall any particular Samsung app. I did look for an app called "app power monitor" some time ago, and didn't find it, but must be there somewhere *smile*. I think that one thing that I've read is that if you kill the right thing, the settings for "device maintenance" goes back to the regular Android battery settings. Not sure about that, but something to pursue. All these things are reversible, so if I don't like where I end up, I can go back *smile*.

Thanks for the thought, kind of plays with the usual Samsung syndrome of re-inventing Android functionality in a more ornate way.

MrDoh

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
You know, I appear to have turned the app power monitor off when I turned off the notification. I'm just noticing that when I go into "Device Maintenance" -> Battery, I see "App Power Monitor", with a setting for "Turn on" under that instead of the list of apps and their battery usage.

So, oddly enough, when you turn off notifications for the app power monitor, you appear to turn off the monitor itself. Not the usual way that Android works, but that's Samsung.

Last edited: