Cell phone radiation?

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I started putting my phone in airplane mode at night when it's next to my bed and I'm sleeping. That way the alarm still works but at least it's not connected to anything while I'm sleeping and don't need it. Time will tell if these concerns are valid. I tend to think they are a hit overblown but I haven't done enough research on it to make a solid claim.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I started putting my phone in airplane mode at night when it's next to my bed and I'm sleeping. That way the alarm still works but at least it's not connected to anything while I'm sleeping and don't need it. Time will tell if these concerns are valid. I tend to think they are a hit overblown but I haven't done enough research on it to make a solid claim.
you won't get any emergency calls... Though that's not important to you then sure. That's an option

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wm69ik_Qdb8

What do you guys think? The phone tested in the test was a Samsung Galaxy. Do you guys limit your phone usage? Wireless Bluetooth use? Thoughts?
Not really worried. I see signs on so many items saying that they can cause cancer. Just learn to live with it.

The government has an obligation to it's citizens to limit exposure if it is really that bad and based on what the guy from the Canadian government said, I am not worried

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

I keep my phone on Airplane mode sometimes, I leave my phone on at night but turn off data and WiFi. I try to keep it from a distance when I'm sleeping. Bluetooth is a concern for me so I don't use it often.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
If we're talking radiation, cellphones are the least of my worries. At work I'm exposed to various radiation like from CTs, radiotherapy isotopes etc. Of course I wear protective gear but meh. Lol. Cellphones are miniscule compared to that.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Cellphones don't produce ionizing radiation, so they can't produce cancer by that route (radiation). Electromagnetic radiation? We've been surrounded by it since life began. Lightning, Earth's magnetic field (which protects us from harmful solar radiation, which can cause cancer), piezo-electricity, etc., etc. 4..2 billion years of it. If it was harmful at one time, we've evolved to not be affected by it.

The stuff you see (like the guy who had an MRI of a tumor) never shows any direct causation from cellphone radiation, and correlation is not causation. (I used two way radio, transmitting a lot more power than a cellphone, for decades before I had a skin cancer lesion removed. But I also smoked all that time - and the lesion was right where the smoke flowed up mu cheek from my mouth. Which is the causation, and which is the correlation?) If radio frequencies caused cancer, we'd have at least a few thousand NYC police officers in the hospital - the antenna is right at their face.

"Cellphones cause cancer" is a lot like anti-vaxxing. It makes headlines, it gives otherwise-lost-for-a-story reporters something to make a video about, it makes headlines - but at least there used to be a scientific reason that some vaccinations were dangerous (thimerisol, even though the type of mercury used is easily and quickly eliminated from the human body, hasn't been used in vaccines in 17 years). There's never been any evidence that radio frequency energy, at least at the levels produced by equipment you can carry, has ever produced any cancer. It produces heat. That's what diathermy is - RF applied to the part of the body that needs the deep heating it provides. In large enough amounts (like 600 Watts), it can produce burns. (I still carry a scar from having some ***** key a transmitter that was modified to not be able to be keyed while I was working on the antenna a few miles away.) But that's it, a burn that I forgot about half an hour later, and by a signal caused by a transmitter in a cabinet that was 6 feet high and 12"X24" - not something you'd carry in your pocket.

But people will keep repeating scare stories, and there's nothing we can do about it. (I carry my cellphone on my hip, have for years, and I'm not worrying about it. (And for those who don't use the metric system all the time, do you understand what 15mm is? It's 0.63 inches - a little over half an inch. Direct from the cellphone to your skin, not through some fabric that may have some metallic component (which would be a complete shield).

crt15z, you do realize that that Bluetooth earphone, right up tight against your ear, is also radiating RF energy right into your ear, right?

Chanchan, does the PHS still do blood tests every few weeks for people working with radioactive isotopes, or do they consider the dosimeters safe enough? (We used to get blood drawn every two weeks by those vampires when I was working with Radium D+E. Go through the vein, then pull back until the blood flowed - and you continued leaking out of the unplugged hole. Talk about shocky.)

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Chanchan, does the PHS still do blood tests every few weeks for people working with radioactive isotopes, or do they consider the dosimeters safe enough? (We used to get blood drawn every two weeks by those vampires when I was working with Radium D+E. Go through the vein, then pull back until the blood flowed - and you continued leaking out of the unplugged hole. Talk about shocky.)

I live in Asia, so protocol may be different. I don't get exposed THAT regularly though. It's occasional enough not to warrant testing. Maybe once in every two months I'm exposed but considering the difference that cellphone exposure over a year doesn't even match the amount of radiation you are exposed to in Xrays and CT, you get my drift.
When I was in the Cardiovascular OR (basically we had mobile X-ray in the room and we took shots after every motion), we had these little thingies that measures the amount of radiation we've been exposed to. We wear them outside our lead gowns. They never reached warning levels for me anyway.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I think the effect is negligible. I don't worry about it. That said, I don't keep my phone in my pocket or on my person (it's in a purse normally, or on a hard surface). I think it's one of those things where you don't worry too much about it; but you still don't push it, you know?

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
Cellphones don't produce ionizing radiation, so they can't produce cancer by that route (radiation). Electromagnetic radiation? We've been surrounded by it since life began. Lightning, Earth's magnetic field (which protects us from harmful solar radiation, which can cause cancer), piezo-electricity, etc., etc. 4..2 billion years of it. If it was harmful at one time, we've evolved to not be affected by it.

The stuff you see (like the guy who had an MRI of a tumor) never shows any direct causation from cellphone radiation, and correlation is not causation. (I used two way radio, transmitting a lot more power than a cellphone, for decades before I had a skin cancer lesion removed. But I also smoked all that time - and the lesion was right where the smoke flowed up mu cheek from my mouth. Which is the causation, and which is the correlation?) If radio frequencies caused cancer, we'd have at least a few thousand NYC police officers in the hospital - the antenna is right at their face.

"Cellphones cause cancer" is a lot like anti-vaxxing. It makes headlines, it gives otherwise-lost-for-a-story reporters something to make a video about, it makes headlines - but at least there used to be a scientific reason that some vaccinations were dangerous (thimerisol, even though the type of mercury used is easily and quickly eliminated from the human body, hasn't been used in vaccines in 17 years). There's never been any evidence that radio frequency energy, at least at the levels produced by equipment you can carry, has ever produced any cancer. It produces heat. That's what diathermy is - RF applied to the part of the body that needs the deep heating it provides. In large enough amounts (like 600 Watts), it can produce burns. (I still carry a scar from having some ***** key a transmitter that was modified to not be able to be keyed while I was working on the antenna a few miles away.) But that's it, a burn that I forgot about half an hour later, and by a signal caused by a transmitter in a cabinet that was 6 feet high and 12"X24" - not something you'd carry in your pocket.

But people will keep repeating scare stories, and there's nothing we can do about it. (I carry my cellphone on my hip, have for years, and I'm not worrying about it. (And for those who don't use the metric system all the time, do you understand what 15mm is? It's 0.63 inches - a little over half an inch. Direct from the cellphone to your skin, not through some fabric that may have some metallic component (which would be a complete shield).

crt15z, you do realize that that Bluetooth earphone, right up tight against your ear, is also radiating RF energy right into your ear, right?

Thank you. This sort of BS misinformation is smelly and gross and needs to be put back in the trash heap it came from.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Don't really care. Sooner or later, something is probably going to give me cancer. I'd rather not waste my time worrying about something I can't control.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Not gonna worry about my phone, I'm surrounded by others with phones and cell towers, can't really avoid the radiation whether it's harmful or not.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress