If multiple apps open, unable to close a single app, Close All is only available.

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

After my Galaxy 9 :Android version 9, was updated, if I have multiple apps open, I can no longer close just an individual app, the button to close shows only "Close All". How can I close just single app?

Thank you

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Of course, you shouldn't really have to close an app -- you should let the system decide when it needs to close an app to make room for a new app you want to open that needs the RAM. If you close apps out of RAM, the system will just automatically reopen apps to fill that RAM, since that's how Android optimally works.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Android doesn't like empty RAM, so apps will be opened to fill that RAM. You're right that it won't open random apps; it's generally based on recent usage patterns. See Jerry's article: https://www.androidcentral.com/ram-what-it-how-its-used-and-why-you-shouldnt-care. This is also a good video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEbKFLbUNzM

You can see it yourself -- if you force close a bunch of apps and then recheck your RAM usage and running processes a little while later, there will be apps open again (unless you're using a 3rd party task-killer).

bbgpsuser

Jul 26, 2015
Visit site
Android doesn't like empty RAM, so apps will be opened to fill that RAM. You're right that it won't open random apps; it's generally based on recent usage patterns. See Jerry's article: https://www.androidcentral.com/ram-what-it-how-its-used-and-why-you-shouldnt-care. This is also a good video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEbKFLbUNzM

You can see it yourself -- if you force close a bunch of apps and then recheck your RAM usage and running processes a little while later, there will be apps open again (unless you're using a 3rd party task-killer).

When you open an app, Android will put as much of that app as needed in the available RAM. That is to guarantee the fastest execution of the app.

Android does not automatically re-open apps that you have closed in recent apps. If it did, you would never see available memory.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm not saying that the system will automatically reopen the app you just closed (although it might, depending on the app). I am saying that you won't see RAM be empty for very long. Those 3rd party task killer/"RAM booster" apps that claim to speed up your phone by killing apps probably worsen performance and battery life in the long run, since it leads to apps always having to load into RAM anew, regardless of the app.

If you're a software engineer and an expert in this, I will certainly defer to you, but would always be interested in learning more -- what I know is based on what I read from folks like Jerry and JR Raphael. If there are nuances I'm not quite getting, by all means please elaborate.:)

bbgpsuser

Jul 26, 2015
Visit site
It turns out that I do have many years of experience in mobile SW development both at OS level and application level. The efficiency comes in having apps that you are currently using or frequently use in RAM. A modern OS will tend to leave an app in RAM until (a) the RAM is needed by something currently executing or (b) the user (or a task manager) removes it. The OS will NOT preemptively load apps just so something is in RAM.

nigeldh

Oct 11, 2016
Visit site
1. Open app list, the |||. Then swipe the app up. Thanks for those who said this.
2. Previous versions had an X on each app thumbnail.
3. I like to close certain apps like mail, text, after using them. Also some apps like Open Signal, Ultra GPS, don't have a close option. Again I only need them part of the time.
I have a Note9 512 gb plus 512 gb so lots of memory & storage. Anyone want a 64 kb SD card? grin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty