How to disable Samsung Chinese IME keyboard

philippe2201

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I just bought a Samsung Galaxy SIII and I'm trying to disable the Samsung Chinese IME keyboard, but the system won't let me do so.

Anyone knows how to do this?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-04-08-18-17-16.png
    Screenshot_2013-04-08-18-17-16.png
    125.7 KB · Views: 13

Dave_Bex

May 18, 2013
Visit site
Have same problem - think you cannot disable it -- down to the version of the firmware loaded on the phone.
Try *#1234# To check Software and Hardware information, PDA, CSC, MODEM (Firmware Version)

On my phone I get

AP: I9305ZHBMD1

CP:I9305XXBMD2

CSC: I9305TGYBMD1

IF you look them up you will find all the elements of the code indicate the phone is programmed for Hong Kong -- not so good when its in England !

Saying that the only real problem I have had is that some accented characters come out as Chinese ! Ok not used a lot but is just a pain !

Now reading up on how to change it and hunting down the right versions of the code, but proceeding with caution, may be an Electronics Engineer with a lot of Linux experience -- but first steps in Android -- last thing I need is a bricked phone :'(

Dave

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
The only way to disable it, I think, would be to root your phone and use a program like Titanium Backup to "freeze" it. But is it really causing any problems?

Anairb

May 5, 2013
Visit site
I didn't have any problems at first (also got mine from Hong Kong) I just set the default keyboard as Swype. Recently, with the Swype upgrade to Swype + Dragon I have to reset the default keyboard every time I restart. It's irritating. I gather I would have to root the phone for something like AppUninstaller or Titanium to work, but I'm a bit chary of doing this. I'm not too up on rooting and don't want to end up with an expensive Hong Kong brick. Is there any other way?

joe_gelb

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi - I just changed the default keyboard to Samsung keyboard, and now it essentially seems to ignore the Chinese one.
Settings > Language and input > Keyboards and input methods > Default >switch to Samsung keyboard instead of the Samsung Chinese IME
Joe

Anairb

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, Joe. Sadly that didn't work for me as I use Swype. Maybe the two just didn't get on. Anyhow, it's all academic now as my phone keeled over on me and I now have an S4 with no Chinese relatives. Now, if only I could stop Swype from quickly resetting itself to lower-case after I tap the Upper-case button... driving me mad. Love Swype, but they're not very good at replying to problems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa