Can anyone connect their Galaxy Tab to a Mac?

shaneneff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I have tried Kies (updated version) and the Android file transfer application, and just attempting to mount it as USB storage. This is very frustrating. I have the LTE version if that makes any difference. Thanks in advance for any help.

Sent from my SCH-I905 using Tapatalk

techiegirl

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
Kies is not compatible with Lion. It works on Snow Leopard, but would only transfer photos, or music. I'm not sure about docs, but I could not get it to transfer books (epubs).

shaneneff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
It is Snow Leopard. My computer spent even recognizes it is connected. Foe the person that got it to connect: do you have LTE or wifi? Also do you have tw running?

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Wifi, no TouchWiz (at the time). I have TW now, but haven't tried connecting lately. I'll give it a go when I get home this afternoon

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I have tried Kies (updated version) and the Android file transfer application, and just attempting to mount it as USB storage. This is very frustrating. I have the LTE version if that makes any difference. Thanks in advance for any help.

The Android File Transfer Tool for Mac doesn't support the Tab 10.1 (which is a bit ridiculous, given the fact that Google gave out special Google-branded Tabs to some developers...) because the Samsung apparently uses an unsupported version of the MTP protocol.

At this point, there is no direct way to transfer non-media files, such as documents, to the Tab on Mac OS. You can get the docs on there using Dropbox.

To sync the media files, there are two options: Kies Beta (I have that installed on Lion and it works, but it's a beta and very unstable) or Doubletwist (only over WiFi, not USB). iSyncr, which was my favorite Sync-Tool, also doesn't work with the Tab.

I just got my Tab yesterday and have to say that I'm massively p****d-off about this :-(

ccm435

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
The Android File Transfer Tool for Mac doesn't support the Tab 10.1 (which is a bit ridiculous, given the fact that Google gave out special Google-branded Tabs to some developers...) because the Samsung apparently uses an unsupported version of the MTP protocol.

At this point, there is no direct way to transfer non-media files, such as documents, to the Tab on Mac OS. You can get the docs on there using Dropbox.

To sync the media files, there are two options: Kies Beta (I have that installed on Lion and it works, but it's a beta and very unstable) or Doubletwist (only over WiFi, not USB). iSyncr, which was my favorite Sync-Tool, also doesn't work with the Tab.

I just got my Tab yesterday and have to say that I'm massively p****d-off about this :-(

One good thing I see here is that Apple folks are buying the GTab 10.1 and not just the iPad. Way to think for yourselves, guys. :)

-cm-

That's my two cents.

shaneneff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I actually prefer Linux, but all my media is on the Mac. I have been an Android user since the OG Droid...wouldn't have it any other way. This issue really has me upset though. Going to go to Best Buy after work today to see if I can get the USB adapter...ugh, $$ I didn't wan to have to spend.

rebornr

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
It is Snow Leopard. My computer spent even recognizes it is connected. Foe the person that got it to connect: do you have LTE or wifi? Also do you have tw running?

I have the latest Snow Leopard and Tab wifi running TW. I can move any file I want to using the app File Expert with web sharing enabled. Really, really easy.

shaneneff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, but I am interested in a solution that doesnt
require me to root. I would also rather have transfer speeds greater than wifi. It is so hard to believe that this is not natively supported.

Last edited:

rebornr

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, but I am interested in a solution that doesnt
require me to root. I would also rather have transfer speeds greater than wifi. It is so hard to believe that this is not natively supported.

Not sure if you were replying to me. My Tab isn't rooted. If you need a direct transfer then Kies (pre-TW) works fine for me. I only use Kies for movies though (1.5GB or so). Smaller files are much easier via wifi using File Expert.

1414H77

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Kies 1.0 works with Lion fine for me- it is just a lousy transfer tool. This is not the beta. Make sure you get 1.0 from Samsung. A lot of the links around are still to the beta. Here is the Samsung link:

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...t%2Fdownloads%2FGT-P7510MAYXAB&token=zv9dnw_S

Also, if you have trouble getting it to work with Lion reboot in 32 bit mode-hold down the 3 and the 2 key when booting. Then tries Kies.

Last edited:

bobng

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site

My MAC with lion would not connect to the 10.1 wireless or USB. Today on PC World they had an App WIFI File Explorer. Free download crippled and $1.60 Pro version. It is in the Market & Amazon.

I have the pro version and can transfer files wirelessly now. To me it was worth the $ rather than fight with Samsung.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress