3.1 Honeycomb System Font Change?

oxeneers

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
Anyone else notice this? It's really annoying. I loved the older, less bold font. Oh well. This was from the I/O Tab 3.1 update.

(TOP): Android 3.0.1 (BOTTOM): Android 3.1
3.1honeycomb.png

teleclimber

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
It appears to have bungled the fonts in some apps. Springpad app is all weird now. The txt blocks stretch while you scroll. Pretty crazy looking.

rfc2616

Jun 11, 2011
www.solertium.com
The change really destroyed my reading experience on the tablet. I was concerned that font hinting or smoothing had been disabled in the update, but after visiting my Web site which embeds Droid Sans, that still looked normal, it appears they've just packaged a different version of Droid Sans (WHYYYYYY?)

I replaced the 131.17K DroidSans.ttf in /system/fonts with the 147.27K one from my desktop machine, same version as you can download from the Web anyplace (e.g. Font Squirrel | Free Font Droid Sans by Google Android). Panic moment as the device starts displaying everything in Chinese characters ... but after a reboot it is back to the original good rendering of Droid Sans, same as 3.0.1 and all my CM7 devices. Hallelujah!

(root is needed for this, but for I/O Galaxy Tabs that just means dropping in the su binary ... I used the day-0 "allidoiswin")

I really hope that this change wasn't an intentional evolution of Droid Sans. Need to open up the new version in FontForge and see if I can figure out exactly what's different ("wrong") about it.