Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 ( P5100) - Are they all the same?

King Samsung

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Bought in South Africa 2months ago at airport.
1.Why does ALL-IN-ONE-TOOLBOX PRO v3.7 inform me that, no digital compass, 3-axis gyroscope & proximity switch is available, when the technical sheets say they are there.
Apparently all-in-one-toolbox is right as only the light sensor works.
2. CyanogenMod for the Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 (GSM). how safe is this upgrade for my P5100?
(Registered to be sold in S. Africa. - Maybe there's a difference :confused: )

Regards from the Sunny Seychelles

Bosbouer

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
The GT-P5100 (bought and used in South Africa) does not come with a digital compass loaded. It does have a GPS. If you only want a Compass added give Compass Pro a try.

If you want to use the GPS, compass and Google maps, try GPS essentials

If you want to log and export .kmz tracks give Orux Maps a try. You can download local maps to the external SD card and use that instead of Google Maps

The gyroscope is present, as you will see when you set up the Compass for the first time. There is no proximity switch on mine

The light sensor is right next to the forward facing camera at the top of the screen. You have to activate power save and auto dim to switch it on

Spikes

King Samsung

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
The GT-P5100 (bought and used in South Africa) does not come with a digital compass loaded. It does have a GPS. If you only want a Compass added give Compass Pro a try.

If you want to use the GPS, compass and Google maps, try GPS essentials

If you want to log and export .kmz tracks give Orux Maps a try. You can download local maps to the external SD card and use that instead of Google Maps

The gyroscope is present, as you will see when you set up the Compass for the first time. There is no proximity switch on mine

The light sensor is right next to the forward facing camera at the top of the screen. You have to activate power save and auto dim to switch it on

Spikes

Hi Spikes
Thanks for the info.
One thing!!!!! My P5100 do not have a light sensor. I have activated power save & auto dim but it seems to have a mind of its own; eg in bright sunlight it brightens up ( low contrast), in low light it dims.

Regards from TOO Sunny Seychelles

Bosbouer

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
To the best of my knowledge that is exactly how the sensor should control the screen brightness. Hold a finger on the left hand "eye" at the top of the screen. The screen should dim in a few seconds, remove your finger and it will brighten again

Spikes

King Samsung

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Thats what i don't understand!!!
There's only ONE "eye" and that's the camera.
I tried it with that one, as you suggested but to no avail.:confused:

I ' ve edited this post:-[
There is no other "eye" visible but it's there and it works:D

Thank you very much.

Greetings from the VERY Sunny Seychelles

Last edited:

King Samsung

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Thank You Spikes
This info is in the manual but I was expecting to see the "eye", even if it shows that's it's there. On the device itself, there is nothing to show that it is there as there is only the camera.
Maybe Samsung should inform consumers that it's hidden behind the fascia.

Thanks again.

From the SUNNY SEYCHELLES.

Bosbouer

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Thank You Spikes
This info is in the manual but I was expecting to see the "eye", even if it shows that's it's there. On the device itself, there is nothing to show that it is there as there is only the camera.
Maybe Samsung should inform consumers that it's hidden behind the fascia.

Thanks again.

From the SUNNY SEYCHELLES.

This has been intriguing me since you first posted. I have a screen protector on mine, so its pretty easy to know where the sensor sits(two cut-outs). I had a look at my daughters N8000 (Note 10.1) without the protector. Looking straight at the screen the sensor is hardly visible, tilt it 45 degrees in a good light source and one can clearly see it under the screen

Cheers

Spikes