I tried a Tab 2 7" today. Super laggy. Why?

inertianinja

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I have been interested in trying an android tablet to install vanilla ICS...initially thought about a Kindle Fire, but I thought id look at the Tabs first.

I tried the 7 and 10 inch models and had the same disappointing experience.

Even after killing all apps and tasks....even after restarting, both Tabs were noticeably laggy. This happened in apps, switching home screen tabs, etc.

I was very surprised by this...even though I've been reading that Samsung's been going for midrange with these tablets, I expected more.

I'm wondering if anyone else had had this experience....and if stock ICS makes them run any better.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

AzD

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Mine has had a couple of laggy moments. Restarts fixed it but that seems to be par for the course with Android in my experience. Its better than other tablets I have used in this price range in this regard, though.

mqguitar

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
I just got mine and it rarely lags. Only when i have played heavy graphic games. Then i just close all apps or only once i rebooted. It runs very smooth for me.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Android Central Forums

Philter05

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I've had mine for a couple days now and it seems to be a little laggy as well. Comparing it to my Skyrocket, it's a step back in responsiveness. As mentioned above, it's definately a better experience as far as tablets go. My wife's iPad drives me crazy, and is a constant reminder of why i went Android.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

Stelv

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Mine doesn't really lag at all. Some third party apps lag sometimes, but its pretty smooth and quick. Could it be a third party app causing the lag? The store models always lag from the crap that random customers do to them.

wynand32

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I returned my GT 2 7" because it just felt soooo slow after using a Tegra 3 tablet for a few months (a Transformer Prime that I returned directly to ASUS). I replaced it with a Toshiba Excite 10 with Tegra 3 and I'm reminded that I wasn't imagining things.

It's a nice tablet for $249, but I couldn't accept the lagginess.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

AzD

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
I returned my GT 2 7" because it just felt soooo slow after using a Tegra 3 tablet for a few months (a Transformer Prime that I returned directly to ASUS). I replaced it with a Toshiba Excite 10 with Tegra 3 and I'm reminded that I wasn't imagining things.

It's a nice tablet for $249, but I couldn't accept the lagginess.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

That's the exact reason I returned my Toyota Corolla. Just wasn't as quick as the Porsche I had been driving. So I went ahead and picked up a Nissan GTR. Much happier now.

monkeyluis

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
That's the exact reason I returned my Toyota Corolla. Just wasn't as quick as the Porsche I had been driving. So I went ahead and picked up a Nissan GTR. Much happier now.

It's like a corolla. My iPad 3 is a porsche compared to this. But I still like using it.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

Stelv

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
The ipad 3 is like a porsche with no navigation system, no glove box, no rearview mirrors, no windshield wipers, no seats and a hole where the window should be...but hit has a retina display :)

I do like the corolla analogy though.

monkeyluis

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
The ipad 3 is like a porsche with no navigation system, no glove box, no rearview mirrors, no windshield wipers, no seats and a hole where the window should be...but hit has a retina display :)

I do like the corolla analogy though.

Your assessment comes from? Regular use side by side with another tablet? Fanboyism just to jump on the apple bashing wagon? My iPad runs silky smooth & fast compared to my gtab2. While I love using the gtab2, ICS does not run like iOS.

Stelv

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Its a difference of opinion I guess. To me there are many things I can't do on the iPad that I can do on Android tablets. I agree that a lot of Android tablets are laggy and that the iPad runs very smooth and efficiently. But in my opinion Android tablets are closer to a desktop computer experience and the iPad is closer to a mobile phone experience. The web browsing experience alone on the ipad is enough to make me not enjoy the device.

Sent from my GSM Nexus

monkeyluis

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Its a difference of opinion I guess. To me there are many things I can't do on the iPad that I can do on Android tablets. I agree that a lot of Android tablets are laggy and that the iPad runs very smooth and efficiently. But in my opinion Android tablets are closer to a desktop computer experience and the iPad is closer to a mobile phone experience. The web browsing experience alone on the ipad is enough to make me not enjoy the device.

Sent from my GSM Nexus

Interesting because I think of the iPad like that. I do everything on my iPad that I can do on my laptop. My sgtab doesn't seem any different. I can functionally do the same thing on either. I don't care about customization. I'm talking about actually using it. Connecting to network drives, connecting to my laptop if I need too, working on photos & videos. Web browsing to me is the same on both. I use chrome on sgtab & safari on iPad. They both have tabs & can both bring up web pages. Using both side by side every day I see no difference. They are both great devices. Both have pluses & minuses. I would recommend either to anyone, doesn't matter what they want to do.

Stelv

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
To each their own I guess. I much prefer the file system, interface, web browsing and more on Android. Safari has to be one of worst browsers I have used, both on ipad and on my iMacs.

twindragons187

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Should try the galaxy tab 7+. Spec wise is superior. Tab 2 has ics. Only thing it has better then the 7+.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

alexgonz615

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Ive had mine for two months now and i love it !! Ive had few times where it started lagging just go to task manager then ram manager and then clear memory and wala lag is gone great tablet great price! !

Reactions: trooperoutlaw

Smokexz

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I don't see that much lag on mine and when it does I can still use it. I have never been happier with a tablet, especially for the price.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2

Reactions: AzD