external memory device connection

turbodogs

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
Hello All,

The question I have is can I connect a USB memory stick to a Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 12.2 using a OTG cable and view the files on the USB stick.
Knowing this will help with my decision as to if I will purchase one.

Thanks

Larry

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
As long as it's an USB STICK, yes... USB external hard-drives, nope, as they draw power your tablet just can't output. (Oh, and check that your USB stick is not one of those fancy ones that do require more power than normal to function, very rare, but there are a few).

treetopsranch

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Maybe you could do it using a powered USB hub. I have one that seems to supply enough power to my external WD drive. At least it works on my Windows 7 PC. Haven't tried it on my 12.2 yet but should, in theory, work. But someone said the external drive should be formatted to exfat not NTFS.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yup, that might work for power (haven't tried it either because, well, I don't have a powered hub) but as far as the formatting goes, yup, the disk has to be formatted as ExFAT or Android won't be able to read it (NTFS is a Microsoft-proprietary format, so it needs to be licensed for it to work with other OSs).

fwhivan

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
If i were to connect a usb memory stick to my tablet will it allow for using it like the tablet uses a microsd card and be able to have apps and games run off it, or is it just as limited as the sdcard?

Posted via the Android Central App

Coleman Robertson

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site
It works seamlessly and perfectly with any type of USB stick I could through its way!

Posted via the Android Central App on note 3, Samsung Tab Pro 12.2, moto g, moto 360, s4, s3, and HTC vivid