Has Samsung Abandon the Tab S Tablets for Android OS updates?

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I spent $499 back in Aug for a Tab S 10.5 and feel like Samsung has abandon it with Android updates. It is a great tablet but as far as I am concerned I am really upset that I trusted Samsung to support their products. I hate Apple but they don't abandon their products like this. It is obviously a way to make you want to buy new Tablet just to get one that has a current OS. My 2012 and 2013 Nexus 7 have Android 5.0 but I wanted a larger screen so I picked up the Tab S 10.5.

I have recommended the Tab S 10.5 and a Tab 4 10.1 to two friends that both purchased it based on my advice after I got the Tab S. Now they are both asking me when Samsung does a OS upgrade. No one would ever buy a Samsung Laptop it it couldn't upgrade their OS. I am never going to recommend Samsung again to friends until they start supporting their own products.

Last edited:

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
They will .....to my knowledge the only tablets or phones in the US right now that have 5.0 are nexus devices . So calm your horses. Samsung will update it to 5.0 at the very least and probably 5.1

A tablet doesn't become unusable because it doesn't get the very latest update so idk why people love to complain seriously ....it's not a big deal . If it is go buy nexus

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mxrider821

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
They will .....to my knowledge the only tablets or phones in the US right now that have 5.0 are nexus devices . So calm your horses. Samsung will update it to 5.0 at the very least and probably 5.1

A tablet doesn't become unusable because it doesn't get the very latest update so idk why people love to complain seriously ....it's not a big deal . If it is go buy nexus

Well put... 4.4.4 Kit Kat works fine on my tab s 10.5, it would be nice to get lollipop but it's not a deal breaker or a huge deal. Plus my nexus 7 13' has 5.0.2 so I can wait patiently

Posted via Android Central App

D Android

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
I spent $499 back in Aug for a Tab S 10.5 and feel like Samsung has abandon it with Android updates. It is a great tablet but as far as I am concerned I am really upset that I trusted Samsung to support their products. I hate Apple but they don't abandon their products like this. It is obviously a way to make you want to buy new Tablet just to get one that has a current OS. My 2012 and 2013 Nexus 7 have Android 5.0 but I wanted a larger screen so I picked up the Tab S 10.5.

I have recommended the Tab S 10.5 and a Tab 4 10.1 to two friends that both purchased it based on my advice after I got the Tab S. Now they are both asking me when Samsung does a OS upgrade. No one would ever buy a Samsung Laptop it it couldn't upgrade their OS. I am never going to recommend Samsung again to friends until they start supporting their own products.

Samsung will update to Lollipop eventually, just give it time. In the meantime I would suggest you read the horror stories in the S5 forum which got the update to see how people like it. I will not be in a hurry to ruin my Tab.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Well put... 4.4.4 Kit Kat works fine on my tab s 10.5, it would be nice to get lollipop but it's not a deal breaker or a huge deal. Plus my nexus 7 13' has 5.0.2 so I can wait patiently

Posted via Android Central App

My Tab S doesn't have 4.4.4 Kit Kat it has 4.4.2 Kit Kat. Just did a Check for updates and it is still limited to 4.4.2 that was released by Google on December 9, 2013. Android 4.4.3 was released on June 2, 2014 and 4.4.4 was released on June 19, 2014. The Tab S 10.5 is still on 4.4.2 that is 14 months old. I have a friend that has a Tab 2 and it is still stuck on Jelly Bean since Samsung abandoned that Tab 2 line for OS updates.

D Android

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
My Tab S doesn't have 4.4.4 Kit Kat it has 4.4.2 Kit Kat. Just did a Check for updates and it is still limited to 4.4.2 that was released by Google on December 9, 2013. Android 4.4.3 was released on June 2, 2014 and 4.4.4 was released on June 19, 2014. The Tab S 10.5 is still on 4.4.2 that is 14 months old. I have a friend that has a Tab 2 and it is still stuck on Jelly Bean since Samsung abandoned that Tab 2 line for OS updates.

I think you have to remember that Samsung has a lot of devices to cater for. Their primary pride and joy is their smartphones, the S5 at the moment. From what I've read they will update S5s first, then Note 4s, then S4s and tablets will be last. But I'm sure it will come because Tab S was their flagship tablet and still is.

barth2

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Samsung sells a miniscule number of tabs compared to phones, so we're going to be the ugly step child always.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

The tab wasn't top end like the note 10.1 2014 , tab and note pro or tab s

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
I spent more than you and came here to find out if & when we get the update.

But really, the tablet works great and I'm not sorry I bought it.

Thanks for the other replies - I will remain patient!

pjamese3

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
The big problem is that Google made microSD cards mostly read only with Android 4.4. Android 5.0 is supposed to fix that "well-intentioned" mistake. Until I get v5.0, the only way and can modify, add or delete files on the microSD card is to used Google's native excuse for a file manager. I'd rather use ES File Explorer. Currently, I can't save files to external memory thru the programs that use - or even generate - the files. And If I'm using a program to view videos of books stored on the microSD card, I have to open the native file manager, navigate to their folder and delete them using that when I'm done instead of just sele ting the delete option within whatever program I'm using. And don't get me started on saving backups or databases.

sojibby

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
Also, this Apple doesn't abandon their products crap is just wrong. Read an article last week about how Apple's updates seem to cripple 2 year old phones when the newest phone is released. It us shown in Google searches - the search for iPhone slower after update spikes every time a new OS version and phone comes out.

69JP69

May 29, 2015
Visit site
Calm your horses.

The Tab 2 is a much older device and is no longer supported. It's typical of Samsung to end support once a device is 2 years old, just like the S3 fell off the map once the S5 came out the S4 is due to follow shortly.with the release of the S6

I'm the UK and have only just been been able to do the Lollipop update on my 10.5 Tab S LTE. So the update is working its way around the world you just have to wait like the rest of us and stop wanting all updates yesterday or now. It will come when it comes and it's not like you don't have a fully usable tablet that you can use in the mean time. Is still use my beloved S3 despite owning a S4 and S5, not having the latest version of Android does not make it any less of a great phone.

mari dub

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Just to clarify, I am running 5.0.2 on my tab s 10.5. I also recieved another update yesterday (stability update).

Posted from GS6 or Tab 10.5

D Android

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
Calm your horses.

The Tab 2 is a much older device and is no longer supported. It's typical of Samsung to end support once a device is 2 years old, just like the S3 fell off the map once the S5 came out the S4 is due to follow shortly.with the release of the S6

I'm the UK and have only just been been able to do the Lollipop update on my 10.5 Tab S LTE. So the update is working its way around the world you just have to wait like the rest of us and stop wanting all updates yesterday or now. It will come when it comes and it's not like you don't have a fully usable tablet that you can use in the mean time. Is still use my beloved S3 despite owning a S4 and S5, not having the latest version of Android does not make it any less of a great phone.

I completely agree with you. Having the latest version of Android is not always the best thing. The Tab runs perfectly fine on KitKat, which IMO is far more stable than Lollipop. In fact I downgraded to KK yesterday because I didn't see any significant improvements in LP and all that brightness was a bit too much for my eyes as well as the battery.

anon(9496141)

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
This is a (slightly) old thread, but I'm wondering this, too. It's now June, and my s3 has been 4.4 for several months now. My tablet is 4.1, but I want it to roll over to 4.4 sometime soon. Anyone else in the same boat?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mohamed-helmy