Are you happy with 16GB?

GSOgymrat

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
I've has a Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 for a little less than a month and generally I am pleased. When I purchased the tablet I didn't think storage would be an issue because I installed a 64 GB microSD card but I'm already getting warning notices that I'm running out of internal storage. I have moved all the apps that can be moved to external storage and deactivated or uninstalled apps I am not using but I still only have 1 GB of internal storage. Anyone else have this problem or know any tricks for freeing more space? I am considering selling this tablet online and purchasing the 32 version from Best Buy.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Probably the only way to free up significant space would be to root the device and uninstall some of the bloatware. Are there a lot of media files (photos, videos, music) on Internal Storage as well? Those can be moved to SD.

GSOgymrat

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
Pictures, videos and audio are only taking up 10MB. Applications are taking up 9.86GB and system memory is 4.51GB. I noticed one of my most used apps Nook is using 1.22GB and one graphic novel can be over 200MB.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I recently looked into this for another poster, but couldn't find a definite answer. I'm not sure if the Nook app can access the SD card. It'd be nice if it could, because then you could save the books there.

Jon_Doh

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
You can store your Nook books in the Nook Cloud and pull them down when you want to read them. I do believe the Nook app can be moved over to the SD card.

BioFanatic

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I've has a Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 for a little less than a month and generally I am pleased. When I purchased the tablet I didn't think storage would be an issue because I installed a 64 GB microSD card but I'm already getting warning notices that I'm running out of internal storage. I have moved all the apps that can be moved to external storage and deactivated or uninstalled apps I am not using but I still only have 1 GB of internal storage. Anyone else have this problem or know any tricks for freeing more space? I am considering selling this tablet online and purchasing the 32 version from Best Buy.

I have similar concerns. Although I have an SD card with some room left on it, my internal is always around 2-3GB left. I haven't been in a position yet that I've had to be really concerned, but it does bother me a bit and I would have bought a 32GB device if I realized this would be an issue.

A great option is to go into the Applications section of your Settings and then list the apps by size. This gives you a good idea about what's taking up the most space and gives you an idea of what changes could make the biggest difference. I find that games seem to be the biggest storage hog, so I typically only have 1 or 2 large games installed at a time (plus multiple small games that don't hog storage). Other than that, I've gone into each large app's info (through the settings - Applications) and moved to SD card when available, even if it only moves part of the data (better than nothing).

ET3D

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
I hate it. This is my one sore point with this tablet. On my Nexus 7 2012 I could install most of the stuff I wanted, and on the Tab S with 64GB microSD I can't.

I hope that the Lollipop update will help in some way (I've read that some external flash restrictions are removed), but for now I find the lack of storage terrible. Moving apps to SD card just doesn't work most of the time. I moved KOTOR, which takes about 2.4GB, to SD card, and it only moved a little bit of data, instead of the 2.4GB. The same goes for other games.

The only app for which this worked well is Comics (Comixology), which now stores my comics on the SD card, which is a great relief.

Last edited:

stackberry369

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site

i brought the 32GB this past weekend

Posted via the Android Central App

GSOgymrat

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
I have similar concerns. Although I have an SD card with some room left on it, my internal is always around 2-3GB left. I haven't been in a position yet that I've had to be really concerned, but it does bother me a bit and I would have bought a 32GB device if I realized this would be an issue.

A great option is to go into the Applications section of your Settings and then list the apps by size. This gives you a good idea about what's taking up the most space and gives you an idea of what changes could make the biggest difference. I find that games seem to be the biggest storage hog, so I typically only have 1 or 2 large games installed at a time (plus multiple small games that don't hog storage). Other than that, I've gone into each large app's info (through the settings - Applications) and moved to SD card when available, even if it only moves part of the data (better than nothing).
I went through app by app and deleted or turned off everything I didn't want but after a few app updates and some additional purchases I am down to 500 MB of free space. The great majority of internal storage is being taken up by apps. I have decided I don't want to keep worrying about storage and I will sell my tablet online and buy a 32 GB version from Best Buy.

Other than memory, the Tab S 8.4 has exceeded my expectations. The screen is great for reading. The most pleasant surprise was streaming YouTube videos to my home theater without doing any setup at all. I just hit the Connect To Device button on YouTube, selected Living Room and there was the video on my television.

ongre10

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Thanks to all your comments I stopped an Amazon order for the 16 GB model and ordered the 32 GB model from Best Buy. It a replacement for a Nexus 7 that died. Its hard for me to get really excited about techy stuff any more, but it looks like this is the best tablet available at this time. I don't like using any cloud storage, which is where all the companies are headed, so the memory space is very important.

BioFanatic

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I went through app by app and deleted or turned off everything I didn't want but after a few app updates and some additional purchases I am down to 500 MB of free space. The great majority of internal storage is being taken up by apps. I have decided I don't want to keep worrying about storage and I will sell my tablet online and buy a 32 GB version from Best Buy.

Other than memory, the Tab S 8.4 has exceeded my expectations. The screen is great for reading. The most pleasant surprise was streaming YouTube videos to my home theater without doing any setup at all. I just hit the Connect To Device button on YouTube, selected Living Room and there was the video on my television.

Certainly a good decision if it isn't cutting it for you. I just want to point out that the Tab S2 is rumoured to be released soon, you may want to consider holding onto your current one until that is available... but you can likely get the current Tab S cheaper, since it seems to be on sale regularly.

GSOgymrat

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
Certainly a good decision if it isn't cutting it for you. I just want to point out that the Tab S2 is rumoured to be released soon, you may want to consider holding onto your current one until that is available... but you can likely get the current Tab S cheaper, since it seems to be on sale regularly.

Just when I made up my mind you had to tell me about the Tab S2! Samsung doesn't slow down for a second.

ET3D

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Just when I made up my mind you had to tell me about the Tab S2! Samsung doesn't slow down for a second.

The S2 is rumoured to be 8.0" and 4:3 resolution (2048 x 1536), so it might end up slightly inferior than the S for content consumption.

(Me, I just hope that Lollipop sorts out the SD card limitation. I may be able to get a 32GB version from the US, but I'm not sure it's worth the hassle.)

GSOgymrat

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
I'm not sure how I feel about a smaller screen. Rumor has it that the S2 will be revealed next month so I will wait and see.

Kevin Caveney

May 13, 2015
Visit site
Tried various cleaners but the app move to SD method worked best. Boosted me from 1 to 3.5 gig. Amazing how many low use apps can be moved. There are tools to do it automatically and have now installed one to help.

BioFanatic

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I realized I had almost 2GB of cached data. I didn't want to clear ALL cache, so I went into each app's info (not EVERY app, but many) and cleared cache for a few apps that had caches (50mb up to a few hundred mb per app).

Now I'm smooth sailing for a bit!

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Tried various cleaners but the app move to SD method worked best. Boosted me from 1 to 3.5 gig. Amazing how many low use apps can be moved. There are tools to do it automatically and have now installed one to help.

Can you explain if you used a 3rd party app to move apps to the SD card or if there's an internal process that can accomplish that? Thanks.

ET3D

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
I wonder if any of you tried to install the Lollipop update. It's warning me that it would take an extra 950MB minimum (and need 3GB free to install). I'd hate to have more lost storage space.

shief24

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I want to buy this but...I've only seen the 16gb in Canada. I was on the fence between this and the iPad mini (I own multiple apple devices). This has an amazing screen, sd card slot, and more control. However, I want to download a lot of apps and I really don't want to have to manage it everyday or feel limited so I might hold off. Also, if the s2 comes out after I buy it I won't be too happy. Decisions..decisions.