Is my T-Mo LTE Galaxy Tab S2 equipped with a hardware cellular phone??

k9spy

Nov 22, 2016
Visit site
I see a lot of references to VOIP solutions.

I want to put my cellphone SIM in my TMobile SM-T817T Galaxy Tab S2 9.7" and be able to dial-out and receive-in, calls from my SIM card's assigned cell-phone number.

Is it technically equipped to do so?

Can I just find an .apk or something of the standard default Android dialer and have it work??

I am able to pop this SIM in any Android phone and it has data and phone with no interaction or setup from T-Mo... super easy. I want to put the "data-only SIM" that came with my tablet in an Arduino project for my car, and use my existing cell-phone SIM in my big Tab S2... if anyone has hardware knowledge of whether or not the circuitry needed is physically soldered inside the S2 case, I'd really appreciate it!

thx!!
kc

K9SPY

Last edited:

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Nope, the tablet doesn't have voice capabilities, just data. VoIP solutions are routing voice calls through mobile data (sort of like making voice/video calls on Hangouts, Facebook Messenger, Whatsapp, etc.) but those typically don't use your SIM card's number (unless your carrier supports it, which most don't save for WiFi calling, but that's also a no-go on a tablet).

You can, however, use Google Voice in your tablet with your mobile data. Just get the free number from Google and done! You can make/receive calls in the tablet (or anywhere with a data connection and a browser, really).

k9spy

Nov 22, 2016
Visit site
What exactly is it that is stopping the radio from making calls??

Is there any firmware for Europe or Asia that might allow it to work?

Is it possible to open this puppy up and swap out the cellular radio for one with phone capability?

thx,
k9spy

Photo_Drew

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Most carriers put system blocks on tablet lines.

*Edit: in the carrier system there are hotline blocks that keep non phone lines from being able to do phone this. So in addition to the hardware, there's also systems in place on the back end to keep it from happening. For example you can't put a phone on a line that's has a tablet on it by putting the tab sim in the phone.

Last edited:

k9spy

Nov 22, 2016
Visit site
Most carriers put system blocks on tablet lines.

Yeah see, that is precisely the answer I was not looking for. :)

but thank-you for tossing me a bone, at least!

Most "system blocks" are defeated by XDA Developers! Aren't they??

WHY not THIS one?

How about this scenario... I am going to buy my own LTE radio equipment. I want this tablet to be able to dial on my own exchange. I'll use my own SIM and program it on my own back end network.

Why can't I get a damn dialer on the tablet??? If I send a text, it shows on my phone as received from the telephone number I want it to make calls from. Same in reverse, I can text this tablet using the cell phone number I want to text it from... but if I CALL this tablet it goes to voicemail and there is no ring. I have tried to install various dialers, and they all crash mid-install or just after install. How in the hell??

If I install a "stock android" on this thing... it would probably have the stock dialer app on it, right?

So now I need to learn about drivers in Android so I can transpose all the needed drivers to a "stock" Android and then try and figure out what the cellular radio is doing that doesnt allow voice.

I have root. How can I mod the system? Gonna dig around and look for the celluar device in /dev

My learning curve on doing this myself is enormous...

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
It's not a 'system block', the tablet just doesn't have the hardware to handle voice calls. Think of a phone's chip without the phone part and just the data. A mobile data modem, that's what you have in your tablet.

k9spy

Nov 22, 2016
Visit site
😢😓😞
Well... thanks for crushing my dreams...
Better to be dumped now than be led-on.

Thanks.

Do you happen to know of ANY decent tablet has full cell capability?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
No tablets have that (at least none that I'm aware of), I'm afraid. You can do VoIP, but that's about it. Tablets are always meant to be data-only devices...for the voice you have phones and phablets.

smoothrunnings

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
It's not a 'system block', the tablet just doesn't have the hardware to handle voice calls. Think of a phone's chip without the phone part and just the data. A mobile data modem, that's what you have in your tablet.

If that was the case you wouldn't be able to receive voice calls from using other apps. I use my Magic Jack app. I can send text messages and sms messages via my tablet, and using the freebie apps I can make phone calls from my tablet. (my tablet phone number appears on the person who I am calling caller ID).

I don't think that your entirely correct.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
If that was the case you wouldn't be able to receive voice calls from using other apps. I use my Magic Jack app. I can send text messages and sms messages via my tablet, and using the freebie apps I can make phone calls from my tablet. (my tablet phone number appears on the person who I am calling caller ID).

I don't think that your entirely correct.

Those apps use a different kind of technology to make calls and send/receive texts. They're using your mobile data to make voice calls and texts via Internet (VoIP), which any data-enabled device is capable of as long as it has a speaker and a microphone. BUT to make calls and text directly using the phone network (not data, the voice network) you need extra hardware, and THAT is what tablets are missing: they can access the data portion of your mobile line, but they lack the hardware to 'talk' to the voice portion of it, so only VoIP apps like Google Voice or Skype and the likes would work, because they're routing the calls through your data, not your voice line.

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
LTE tablets sold in US cannot make voice calls because it's disable in the firmware. Most international LTE versions sold in Europe and Asia can make phone calls because it's enable in the firmware, they're identical to US versions but different names and different firmwares.
If you want to use your LTE tablet as a phone, buy the international version, or just use VOIP, or waiting until your tablet can be rooted.
This is an example, they modify a 3G Samsung tablet's firmware to make voice call
https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1875024

That's why US LTE tablets always have a locked bootloader to prevent modification of the firmware. Providers cannot make profit if a LTE tablet can use both voice and data as a phone.

This is an example of differences of the same LTE tablet: one bought in Asia and one in US
https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-note-pro-12/help/verizon-lte-voice-calling-support-t2802941

Manufacturers don't make a device for a particular region, they make the same device but build different softwares and firmwares. I can change a LTE Verizon tablet to an AT&T or T Mobile, or a Wifi tablet just by swapping the mainboard.
Samsung LTE tablets almost identical to Wif version except some extra components for mobile network, that's why Wifi mainboard can fit to a LTE tablet.
Look at your Application Manager-> All
The phone app is there but disable

Screenshot_2017-01-24-16-03-03.jpg

Last edited:

Sheryle Lakey

Mar 23, 2018
Visit site
Nope, the tablet doesn't have voice capabilities, just data. VoIP solutions are routing voice calls through mobile data (sort of like making voice/video calls on Hangouts, Facebook Messenger, Whatsapp, etc.) but those typically don't use your SIM card's number (unless your carrier supports it, which most don't save for WiFi calling, but that's also a no-go on a tablet).

You can, however, use Google Voice in your tablet with your mobile data. Just get the free number from Google and done! You can make/receive calls in the tablet (or anywhere with a data connection and a browser, really).

I use my 8" tab s2 as a phone on my wifi service every day. Make calls receive calls , speaker phone, head phone, wireless headphone. I love my tablet wouldnt trade it for the bigger one tho because it doesnt have a built in microphone i hear. Dont know but the 8" one does. . Love love my s2. But this year i bought the s7+. Hope i like it as much. Still wont give up my s2. THANK YOU SS FOR SUCH A GREAT PRODUCT.

Last edited by a moderator:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non