Are you going to upgrade to the Tab S3?

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Since no one has mentioned whether or not the Samsung keyboard case could be used as a stand when not using the keyboard, I picked one up today.
It's pretty much worthless as a stand without the keyboard.
I'll be returning it Monday.

DennisOS2

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
Got an S3 Friday for my wife, her 2014 Note 10.1 was dying. Nice, but not an earthshaking improvement over my Tab S. Very premium price compared to the iPad just released. I prefer Android to iOS, but a 100% premium?

Exact same situation here. My wife's impression is that it is faster and the screen is much nicer than her 10.1. Myself? As others have said, it is priced too high for the specs. Great 'price-point' work by their marketing team ..... so many of us claim it is too expense while still purchasing it :D

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
The case I linked above has arrived.
It's not as sturdy as the Samsung keyboard case and the magnet(s) holding the keyboard aren't very strong, but it has more viewing angles and the keyboard is removable, so I can fold it back to have the keyboard out of my way when it isn't needed.

gottria

Trusted Member
Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
How's the case without the keyboard, lot of extra in the way? I ordered this one from Amazon and should be here tomorrow.
Amazon

I bought the OEM book cover from Samsung and these magnets things are a joke. The little things from the S2 are way better IMO as it really keeps the tablet secured to the cover. Also the S2 book cover has a flap that goes over when it's closed so it stays closed.

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
There is a small gap without the keyboard, but not as much as the S2 Samsung keyboard case.
I never removed the keyboard from the S2 case except to see how it closed without it, so since this keyboard has weak magnets, I put velcro on it.
It wouldn't surprise me if all of the inexpensive keyboard cases have weak magnets. I hope someone makes a good one with multiple viewing angles.

I looked at a case similar to the one you bought when I was searching for my S2. I liked the bumpers for the multiple viewing angles.

gottria

Trusted Member
Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
The ProCase came in today and it's a nice case, built well but just too thick for my liking. It's almost 3x the thickness of the Tab S3 in the Samsung book cover. Protection is good, very week magnets that hold the cover closed, the auto wake feature does work on mine despite what the reviewers on Amazon say. Angles are all good, would have liked to see one just a bit more slanted but it works. Not a bad case but I think I'll stick with the over priced book cover.

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
The ProCase came in today and it's a nice case, built well but just too thick for my liking. It's almost 3x the thickness of the Tab S3 in the Samsung book cover. Protection is good, very week magnets that hold the cover closed, the auto wake feature does work on mine despite what the reviewers on Amazon say. Angles are all good, would have liked to see one just a bit more slanted but it works. Not a bad case but I think I'll stick with the over priced book cover.

I guess we'll just have to be patient for the really good cases to come out.

gottria

Trusted Member
Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I took my old S2 book cover and removed the little nubs with a small Phillips and set the s3 in it, little tight and the flap would close tightly. Heated up the bendable joints with a hair dryer and it loosened up nicely. I tried to use some thin metal plates used for mounting cell phones to a magnetic holder but it just want strong enough. So a while back I bought some 3M double sided tape to remount some LED light strips and I had a lot left over. So i added about 3 1in strips along the cover and stuck the S3 to it, holds nice an looks good. Only thing blocking is the flash, but that hardly gets used anyway. 20170404_172144.jpg20170404_172154.jpg

gottria

Trusted Member
Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Only problem now is the damn s pen doesn't slide in the spine. Also got in today a generic s pen from a note 5, wanted a smaller portable pen and so far works fine.

gottria

Trusted Member
Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I'm glad it isn't just me with the modifications.
I thought about doing something similar to my S2 keyboard cover.

Well after using it for the first time today I noticed that the s pen would not always launch the quick launcher thing on the right, also when taking notes the pen writes thicker on the left side of the screen and thinner on the right. Turns out it was the magnets in the S2 cover, removed the cover and used the S3 book cover and ll problems are gone. Too bad as I think the S2 cover is a lot better.

On that note, I ordered a different cover to try hoping it's still slim but has nice stands.
Pasonomi Case

And having a bit of buyers remorse, not that I don't like the tablet, but DAMN $667 plus the book cover at $67 for a total of $734 on an android tablet that doesn't even have 64gb of memory. I can get the Acer switch with the i5, 8gb, with 256gb of storage for $669 and that includes the keyboard and stylus.

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Well after using it for the first time today I noticed that the s pen would not always launch the quick launcher thing on the right, also when taking notes the pen writes thicker on the left side of the screen and thinner on the right. Turns out it was the magnets in the S2 cover, removed the cover and used the S3 book cover and ll problems are gone. Too bad as I think the S2 cover is a lot better.

On that note, I ordered a different cover to try hoping it's still slim but has nice stands.
Pasonomi Case

And having a bit of buyers remorse, not that I don't like the tablet, but DAMN $667 plus the book cover at $67 for a total of $734 on an android tablet that doesn't even have 64gb of memory. I can get the Acer switch with the i5, 8gb, with 256gb of storage for $669 and that includes the keyboard and stylus.

I guess the pen problems should have been expected, still a good idea to try it though.
Buyer's remorse huh, well, depending on where you purchased it, you have time to return it.
I'm happy with mine, minus Nougat limiting access of Unix apps (can't see all processes with ps -ef).

Prior to purchasing the S3 I did look into windows tablets. Pricing, screen size, resources, all looked like good deals, but, I have no real reason to have a windows machine again, plus real and bogus viruses, and some of the machines are still quite heavy compared to S3 like tablets, was enough for me.

gottria

Trusted Member
Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I agree 100%, I already have a laptop that work provides, a dell XPS 13 that works quite well. I've always been a deal kind of guy and this is the 1st device I actually paid full price for. I have till 4/30 to return through Amazon and I'm hoping it goes on sale between then and now as it does fit the bill, small, light, and easy to carry around. The Tab A s pen almost fit's the bill and for $200, picked it up off of craigslist still in the box, is tempting to keep. Nut the weight of it and that weird screen size is buggin me, some like that aspect ratio and that's OK but for me it's just to narrow in portrait mode.

Last edited:

anon(10206632)

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
I stopped​ at Best Buy and took a look at Tab S3. NO way I'm leaving Tab S2 8 inch for this thing and for that much money. It's too big compared to my 8 inch.

No thank you. I'll pass. Happy with Tab S2 8 for now, still running like new and getting Nougat soon.