So whose getting one of these?

BullwinkleMoose

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
I don't know. I want a new tablet and I don't want to deal with the ***** at Apple, but I'm disappointed in Samsung. Last year's processor AND - what the reviews don't talk about - except it's a "fingerprint magnet", which I could care less about - a GLASS back. Why? Are they hoping you drop it and it shatters so you buy another one...at their exorbitant (but not nearly as bad as Serbia!) price? I do see that Best Buy - another outfit I don't like - is offering trade ins for old tablets. I guess it will be going on sale $100 off soon enough.

Last edited:

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I wonder, I realized that if the Tab S3 gets a DeX update, would there still be reason for me to buy an S4? Not sure for the rest of you but I don't really need my tablet to be all that powerful. I'm actually still happily chugging along with my Tab 4 right now, since all I need a tablet for is reading my ebooks and reviewers, and watching Netflix. The Tab S3 seems plenty powerful enough to do a word document and powerpoint on, especially since my Tab 4 can do that already. It's really just the S Pen that's making me want to buy a new one plus updated OS version.

chyeo1979

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
Looking at the amount of interest for this tablet (only 1 thread after so long??), will this be the last Samsung Android tablet?

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Looking at the amount of interest for this tablet (only 1 thread after so long??), will this be the last Samsung Android tablet?

Is it even released globally yet? It's not yet out in my country AFAIK and we're like less than an hour flight away from the Vietnam factories. LOL.

DLCPhototography

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I wish they had the trade in program like they do with the phones. I got the S3 and definitely interested in the S4. The wife has the S2 so I might sell hers, get the S4 and give her my S3

My wife has been using a Tab Pro 9.7" for a number of years, and the battery life has really deteriorated.

Best Buy has a promotion, to trade-in many Tablets. You get $40 coupon toward the S4, plus whatever value there is on your trade-in. In my case, we got $55. So a total of $95 off the $649.99.

It's really overpriced, imho, at $649.99, and only moderately overpriced at $554.99. But with the S3 at $450 on sale, and actually $550 currently (also ridiculous), this seemed like a good enough deal for me to do it.

So we've got one now, and she's busy setting it up. Very few cases available for it, so far; none of the major brands at this point.

Tomcat31b

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
I'm considering getting one as an upgrade from my Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014 edition) It's not been released here in the UK yet but if you pre order before release Samsung are giving away the keyboard case for free. If i do go for this I hope it will be a good enough replacement for my tablet and laptop

Not having a FPS doesn't bother me if the iris/face scanner is a good as it is on the S9 (which doesnt have issues when I'm wearing glasses) and the glass back hopefully won't be too much of an issue if its kept in its case.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
It's supposed to be 'as good'... but then this happens haha (that's why I prefer the FPS, it's just so much faster and more convenient, especially for password managers. Skip to around 1:40 to see what I mean)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STnpHovx-Gw

I'm considering getting one as an upgrade from my Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014 edition) It's not been released here in the UK yet but if you pre order before release Samsung are giving away the keyboard case for free. If i do go for this I hope it will be a good enough replacement for my tablet and laptop

Not having a FPS doesn't bother me if the iris/face scanner is a good as it is on the S9 (which doesnt have issues when I'm wearing glasses) and the glass back hopefully won't be too much of an issue if its kept in its case.

BullwinkleMoose

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
I went to BestBuy with my Samsung Tab A 2017 8", hardly used, almost new, to see what they'd give me for it as trade in on the S4. One cent. Seriously that's what he said after looking it up on his computer. Phony trade in offer. Typical for BB. The S4 should be on sale soon enough anyway, but looking at the S3 next to the S4 i like the older model better. It has a wider screen and a fingerprint sensor. I was looking forward to updating my S2's, but i think I'll wait and see what the new model Ipad Pro is like when it comes out, even tho I hate dealing with Apple. Or maybe I'll buy an S3 on sale. They're going for about 420 now.

Jim 3

Apr 22, 2018
Visit site
I got one from BB. 64GB black.

It's a very good entertainment tablet. I can see why people trying to use it as a work laptop replacement (why did you market it like this, Samsung?) are upset, though.

chyeo1979

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
I went to BestBuy with my Samsung Tab A 2017 8", hardly used, almost new, to see what they'd give me for it as trade in on the S4. One cent. Seriously that's what he said after looking it up on his computer. Phony trade in offer. Typical for BB. The S4 should be on sale soon enough anyway, but looking at the S3 next to the S4 i like the older model better. It has a wider screen and a fingerprint sensor. I was looking forward to updating my S2's, but i think I'll wait and see what the new model Ipad Pro is like when it comes out, even tho I hate dealing with Apple. Or maybe I'll buy an S3 on sale. They're going for about 420 now.

Tab S3 has some lag issue though, just to warn you. So far most people seemed to say Tab S4 performance is quite good though the specs doesn't look so great

BullwinkleMoose

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
"Tab S3 has some lag issue though..."

Forget it then. i don't want more of that. My S2's are terrible laggers. But sure, the 3's processer is much slower than the lackluster one in the 4.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I just realized. Samsung Flow app has a partner MS app that allows you to use the fingerprint sensor on the phone to authenticate on a Windows PC. I wonder if the Flow app for the Tab S4 would allow that. Certainly gets around the lack of the FPS if it does.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
"Tab S3 has some lag issue though..."

Forget it then. i don't want more of that. My S2's are terrible laggers. But sure, the 3's processer is much slower than the lackluster one in the 4.

Are you in the US (I forgot if you said anything previously that points that out)? AFAIK the lag issue hits the US versions with the SnapDragon 820 CPU. The ones outside the US AFAIK uses Exynos. In a speedtest on Youtube by Phonebuff between a SnapDragon 820 and the Exynos S7, the Exynos S7 finished the app obstacle course a full 40 seconds faster (the S7 and the Tab S3 share the same processors and RAM capacity). So if you're going for a WiFi version of the S3, get an international model, since I don't think there'd be an issue with that.

BullwinkleMoose

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Are you in the US (I forgot if you said anything previously that points that out)? AFAIK the lag issue hits the US versions with the SnapDragon 820 CPU. The ones outside the US AFAIK uses Exynos. In a speedtest on Youtube by Phonebuff between a SnapDragon 820 and the Exynos S7, the Exynos S7 finished the app obstacle course a full 40 seconds faster (the S7 and the Tab S3 share the same processors and RAM capacity). So if you're going for a WiFi version of the S3, get an international model, since I don't think there'd be an issue with that.

Yes USA, and my Tab S2's (i have 3) didn't initially lag like they do now. Now they are terrible. is there a fix? I don't know how I would get an international model of the tab S3 on sale and if I did I don't know if it would be covered by any warranty here.

chyeo1979

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site

Thought Exynos was only used in phones? Was it in Tab too?

Anyway, saw from XDA forum which they mention Tab S3 is using eMMC storage, that's why has quite a bit of lag, while Tab S4 is not

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I'm pretty sure they also use Exynos on tablets unless they stopped at one point that I don't know about.

I'll go check. There's a website for the list of Exynos powered devices including tablets.
Thought Exynos was only used in phones? Was it in Tab too?

Anyway, saw from XDA forum which they mention Tab S3 is using eMMC storage, that's why has quite a bit of lag, while Tab S4 is not

Edit: Dang you're right. The last Exynos Tablet they released was the 10.1 Galaxy A with S Pen in 2016. Must have gotten that confused with the Tab S3 since they're both big and have SPen support.

Tomcat31b

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
It's supposed to be 'as good'... but then this happens haha (that's why I prefer the FPS, it's just so much faster and more convenient, especially for password managers. Skip to around 1:40 to see what I mean)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STnpHovx-Gw

Ha Ha, I see what you mean but fortunately I don't live or work under studio lights.

I bit the bullet and pre-ordered one so we'll see how it goes I realised that no FPS won't bother me too much as my current Tablet doesn't have one so pin or pattern as a backup to the face/iris is no real loss for me.

The only annoying thing for me is when I get the tablet at the weekend I'll have to wait for up to 30 days for Samsung to send the free keyboard case after making a claim, which would mean a naked tablet for a month :-\

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Having used the keyboard case from Samsung before (on the S3)... trust me, you're better off saving your 75 bucks and buying a case and separate keyboard (heck, you can even get a mobile keyboard with a trackpad!). Sure, it might not be as 'neat' but the case is not great. You only get one viewing angle, the keyboard doesn't have a trackpad, and the keys aren't super big so typing in that cramped up space can take some getting used to.