Unable to register my fingerprints

stronggeek

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Pre-ordered from best buy last night and picked it up today.

So far I love just about everything about except... I'm unable to register my fingerprints!
The sensor attempts to read it and it all looks good and then It shows 0%.

This sucks because I've just about got it all set up and many apps downloaded! I'be been making phones off this thing and everything. Facial recognition works great, but I need that scanner working (especially for Samsung Pass).

Any ideals before I call Samsung or trade it for a different one.

Thanks,
Taylor

jrsharp70

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for responding! And yep, I've tried that.

do you see the green light? I've had a million phones, and I've never seen that problem. I'm sorry to think that you actually may have a detective unit. That's usually not the case though. Try samsung app for support. I'll look into it.

stronggeek

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
do you see the green light? I've had a million phones, and I've never seen that problem. I'm sorry to think that you actually may have a detective unit. That's usually not the case though. Try samsung app for support. I'll look into it.

Hello! Yes, I do get the green light in the center of the print on the display. It lights up green in the center everytime and keeps displaying the 0% message while not filling up the print on the display. At first I thought that there was a screen protector on it, but nope. I did restore from a backup, but I didn't think that would have an affect on registering the sensor. Perhaps I'm mistaken. Everything else is great!

Later I'll do a hard reset (at best buy) if they can't fix it. I'll exchange it if a factory reset doesn't fix the issue. I've used many fingerprint scanners, but this is a first for me. I'm not really sweatin it as I work (and play) everyday therefore I'm busy, but I know I need to figured this out soon.

Thanks for your advice!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Bring it back to Best Buy, show them the problem, let them get another one, start setting it up, bypass everything (you can do it all latter) until you get to the fingerprint setup and make sure it works. If not, they can open another box, etc. (And no, your finger isn't defective. :) )

I went through 4 Pixels from Google when my FPS stopped working, but it turned out to be the "winter fingerprint problem", which the Samsung sensor shouldn't have. (I still can't get my right index finger to register, but I have 5 fingerprints (2 on one hand, 3 on the other) registered.)

stronggeek

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
start setting it up, bypass everything (you can do it all latter) until you get to the fingerprint setup and make sure it works. If not, they can open another box, etc. (And no, your finger isn't defective. :) )

Thanks! This part was key for me! I was actually on the phone with Samsung when I saw your reply come through. I told her that I'd like to avoid a factory reset if possible. The Reset settings option had no affect. I asked her if setting up the fingerprints after the restore could be an issue. She said it should not...since it allows you to do it, but that there may be a glitch.

Next step was the factory reset. And as you mentioned and as I suspected she said to do the fingerprint registration first. This worked. And now I'm restoring.

Anyway thanks!