Samsung GALAXY Tab!!!!!

H_D

Mar 2, 2009
Visit site
Samsung GALAXY Tab

I'll DEFINITELY be getting one of these! iPad who!?! LOL

"It looks like Samsung has made a teaser site for their Galaxy Tab available to the public. What the video confirms is the device has a 7-inch screen 1024 x 600 AMOLED, SWYPE keyboard, HD movie playback, navigation, e-reading, video calling, and Android 2.2. The video closes with a frame reading: “September 2nd, 2010 Berlin, Germany.” We’re pretty excited, how about you? Have a look..."

PowerVR SGX 540 graphics processor, GPS, Wi-Fi b/g/n, a 3.2MP back-facing webcam, and VGA front-facing camera!

SamTab.jpg

500x_500x_glayaxsamsung-tab.jpg

Last edited:

keri2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I preordered the Cruz Tablet from Borders but if the price for the Tab is near $299 or a little more I think I might change my mind.

Come on September 2! I can't wait to find out the details on this!

Liscadipesce

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
I am going to be all over this when it's released. I was just taking a look at the video on the Samsung website, and the first time I watched it the video paused on a certain frame for a second or two. I am not certain if my computer had skipped at that certain frame or if it was intended, but I can't seem to duplicate it any more.

The frame in question is the attached.

Could it be a hidden release date of sorts or am I thinking too far into this?

TvTechGuru

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
Anyone know when we will see a full spec list? I'm interested in what kind of CPU, RAM, on-board memory and other specs. Like will it have USB or HDMI ports on the side or top/bottom? Will it have an SD card slot?

TvTechGuru

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
I hate to be harsh, but I won't even consider this if it doesn't have a processor of at least 2Ghz, USB port, HDMI port, SD card slot, and available in regular retail like online or in stores like Best Buy.

TvTechGuru

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
Verizon only? Will that be the only place you can buy it? I would be shocked if it's not available through regular retail channels like Best Buy, HHGregg, or Newegg. Cause by having to get it at Verizon means they make you sign up for mobile broadband service.

mothy

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
Knowing Samsung this will be overpriced though and the fact of needing to but proprietary docks etc just seems to much. Im really looking at the new Archos announcent of 7 and 10 inch tabs running 2.1 or possibly 2.2

volwrath

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Not me.. I am soo ready to dump my weighty 3G ipad that I tether to my Evo.

Ipad's been good, but $750 is too much for a tablet. Too bad Samsung's looks like its carrier specific

barkomatic

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
I'm not aware of many tablet-specific Android apps for this--so I'm guessing the experience will be magnified phone apps. It also needs more sophisticated syncing--drag and drop is so 1990's and doubletwist doesn't cut it either.

This might be better for reading books due to the lower weight and the cameras will be nice--except qik is garbage for video conferencing The nail in the coffin for this tablet will be if its carrier subsidized into a mandatory monthly data charge.

I'll check back when Gingerbread is released and quality Android tablets are out. I don't need another half-baked rough draft of a device. I'm not a tinkerer.

Prof-KOS

May 22, 2010
Visit site
I am surprised that there doesn't seem to be a Wifi only version of the Tab. At least they haven't announced it. I do really like the hardware and the form factor. I'm still not convinced that a tablet is a device I need, but I sure do want it.

Gogol

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
I cannot believe this.

O2 Germany (and also other sources) told the suggested retail price, 750 euro (not subsidized) ! Which is very expensive, more expensive than iPad.

Why would anyone buy that? iPad has better screen, better battery life as well.

I was excited with this Galaxy Tab, but really put off with the price :(

LostAlone

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I cannot believe this.

O2 Germany (and also other sources) told the suggested retail price, 750 euro (not subsidized) ! Which is very expensive, more expensive than iPad.

Why would anyone buy that? iPad has better screen, better battery life as well.

I was excited with this Galaxy Tab, but really put off with the price :(

Better screen ? The iPad has a very similiar resolution on a bigger screen = way worse quality. That and SAMOLED has SO much better contrast and response. The GTab screen will be AMAZING for video.

As for battery life... I have always suspected that apple have been fudging their battery life figures. Ever since I saw the 3GS claiming the same battery life as my BB Bold 9000 but all my friends phones crapped out around lunch time. In this case, I am particularly suspicious that they only give 1 estimated battery life when their are two distinct iPads, and theres no way a 3G one with typical out of the house usage gets 10 hours of video if thats what the Wifi only version gets. This contrasts to the Gtabs, all of which have cell radios. Between that and being a physically smaller device, I can see why it would have less battery. Personally, I don't see why anyone would care. 7 hours is plenty enough.

750 euros non-subsidized for the 32gig with 3g doesn't seem to be that outlandish, thats comparable to the same iPad at launch. I suspect it'll be lower, but its not THAT high. Although not really a concrete rumour this has me quite excited. 200 pounds is a fine starting point. I hope we see it.

Personally, I suspect that they won't be selling the GTabs the same way at all. Since you won't have to deal with a one network monopoly, the networks have a decent incentive to actually put out sane price plans, and to compete over contract terms and so forth. I imagine we'll see nice bundles with free 16 or 32gig SD cards and sundry other accessories, just to get people picking their carrier.

I bet ya they'll be pushing a 10 quid a month, data only contract package that'll knock the price down to around 300. Low end contracts that people can afford on top of their phone plans to get the price to the sweet spot.

Oh, and I would buy one :). Im not totally sold yet, but I love how its shaping up, just wanna get some hands on and see the exact pricing.

I really do see these doing well. They are a LOT more portable... half the weight (380g against 730g), and about the size of a thin paperback. Easily fits in a coat pocket or handbag. Great size as a portable entertainment device.

Last edited:

Gogol

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Better screen ? The iPad has a very similiar resolution on a bigger screen = way worse quality. That and SAMOLED has SO much better contrast and response. The GTab screen will be AMAZING for video.

Note that GTab screen is NOT SAMOLED, not AMOLED.
It is TFT-LCD and I don't think it is SLCD.

As for battery life... I have always suspected that apple have been fudging their battery life figures. Ever since I saw the 3GS claiming the same battery life as my BB Bold 9000 but all my friends phones crapped out around lunch time.

iPad battery is rated at 25WH, roughly 6600 mAH. If you read several posts and test results, 10 hours video is not impossible.

750 euros non-subsidized for the 32gig with 3g doesn't seem to be that outlandish, thats comparable to the same iPad at launch. I suspect it'll be lower, but its not THAT high.

But it is still MORE expensive for:
- smaller screen
- smaller internal memory
- smaller battery capacity

I was expecting about 100 euro LESS than comparable iPad.

And as an Android user (I own and LOVE my HTC Desire!), I don't need 3G on my tablet! I can use my beloved Android phone as my 3G hotspot.

Too bad, wifi only will not be an option because we will loose Android Market.

Personally, I suspect that they won't be selling the GTabs the same way at all. Since you won't have to deal with a one network monopoly, the networks have a decent incentive to actually put out sane price plans, and to compete over contract terms and so forth. I imagine we'll see nice bundles with free 16 or 32gig SD cards and sundry other accessories, just to get people picking their carrier.

Yes, this GTab should (must!) be subsidized heavily if Samsung want to success in their FIRST Android tabled product.

Not all people want to have SECOND phone subscription. I dont!

I really do see these doing well. They are a LOT more portable... half the weight (380g against 730g), and about the size of a thin paperback. Easily fits in a coat pocket or handbag. Great size as a portable entertainment device.

Agreed, I do love everything on this GTab. Also the fact that it "can" be updated to Android 3.0 (As said by Samsung during Q&A), depends on international partner. That's why I plan to buy this RETAIL, in hope it will be supported directly by Samsung (like the Galaxy S retail version).

Too bad, the price just killed me :(

I cannot justify that 700 euro for the 16GB GTab ... While iPad 16GB (wifi only) in Hong Kong is only 390 euro!!!

To be in a bright side, I do have hope for HTC ... If they ever made one for Europe! I know they will make one for Verizon or something in the US.

Prof-KOS

May 22, 2010
Visit site
I have to agree that the rumored price is way out there for me. I felt the iPad was overpriced and this is worse IMO. I would still love a Wifi only version, but I don't see that happening. It's too bad because I love everything about the interface. I hope the actual pricing is more reasonable than the rumor.