which no-contract carrier to go for?

flamand

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
frenzy757: On my T-Mobile Galaxy Tab the sim card slot is right next to the micro sd slot. It 's easy to pop out.

Bigchris: I bought mine without a contract and without any service. It works great on wifi only!

Reactions: Bigchris

Bigchris

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
frenzy757: On my T-Mobile Galaxy Tab the sim card slot is right next to the micro sd slot. It 's easy to pop out.

Bigchris: I bought mine without a contract and without any service. It works great on wifi only!

Great, I was worried from some of the post that I read that it wouldn't work if you didn't get service. I want to use it on WiFi only.

ConceptVBS

May 25, 2010
Visit site
also does this mean if I travel to europe that I can pop in a sim card from there and get access to the internet?

If the European network supports any of the following frequencies:

850 MHz;
900 MHz;
1800 MHz;
1900 MHz;
UMTS: Band I (2100);
UMTS: Band IV (AWS);
UMTS: Band IV (1700/2100)

Taken from T-Mobile USA website

...then yes, it should work.

frenzy757

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
I got the Tmobile Tab without a contract (no problems) incase I go overseas.

Word of advice, stock browser sucks (almost made me return it), but Dophin browser kicks ass on this thing. Scrolling and stuff is super smooth with the Dolphin HD browser

NickB2005

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I went into T-Mobile today and was like if I buy this no contract can you sell it to me and he said no corporate won't let us sell without a contract, I said but it says it right here $599 without contract. He was speechless and said it doesn't make sense and walked away.

seistoes

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Great, I was worried from some of the post that I read that it wouldn't work if you didn't get service. I want to use it on WiFi only.

if you use the device WIFI only you (sans carrier plan), how will u get updates like Gingerbread, or other periodic updates?

waynew73

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I bought the wifi only version from BestBuy...it's the Sprint version which they sell, but does not get activated. I'm really loving the device.

Now because I travel internationally and can't use my Sprint EVO in Europe, I'm going to return the Sprint one and get an AT&T version so that when I'm in Europe I can use Skype, Google Voice (whenever they turn it on internationally), etc. Certainly, not a fan of AT&T, but their selling the TAB using their iPad data plan, which I spent all day confirming what it means. Basically, you can buy either 250mb or 2gb. The service runs for a month and if you don't set it to auto-renew, you can just not pay for a given month. So basically, I could use data in December, not in January, then in February and only pay for the 2 months of usage not 3 and still keep the line active. And you can cancel the contract at anytime. To be fair, you would have to pay an additional charge for the international usage and the int'l really is for one given month that you can turn on and off.

And before anyone says it doesn't work for voice how will you make the skype call or gvoice, it does have a mike camera and speaker...probably have to use a corded headset or the speakerphone.

NickB2005

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I bought the wifi only version from BestBuy...it's the Sprint version which they sell, but does not get activated. I'm really loving the device.

Now because I travel internationally and can't use my Sprint EVO in Europe, I'm going to return the Sprint one and get an AT&T version so that when I'm in Europe I can use Skype, Google Voice (whenever they turn it on internationally), etc. Certainly, not a fan of AT&T, but their selling the TAB using their iPad data plan, which I spent all day confirming what it means. Basically, you can buy either 250mb or 2gb. The service runs for a month and if you don't set it to auto-renew, you can just not pay for a given month. So basically, I could use data in December, not in January, then in February and only pay for the 2 months of usage not 3 and still keep the line active. And you can cancel the contract at anytime. To be fair, you would have to pay an additional charge for the international usage and the int'l really is for one given month that you can turn on and off.

And before anyone says it doesn't work for voice how will you make the skype call or gvoice, it does have a mike camera and speaker...probably have to use a corded headset or the speakerphone.

So you didn't actually buy the wifi only version, you bought the 3G Sprint one off contract? Right?

Because best buy will be selling the wifi only version for $499.99

RC46

Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Does anyone know which GSM frequencies the ATT version supports?

I'm thinking the T-Mobile looks good with the quad band support. Does anyone know if the T-mobile version is SIM locked?

Bigchris

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
if you use the device WIFI only you (sans carrier plan), how will u get updates like Gingerbread, or other periodic updates?

Well, I'm sure Samsung will have some things on their support website...Samsung

If not, I'm sure most updates will be around here and you should be able to update that way. Hopefully, lol.... Good question though.

Reactions: seistoes

scottsdca

May 26, 2010
Visit site
wireless tether from android phone to android tablet?

I thought I saw on some forum here that wireless tether wouldn't work from one android device to another. Can anyone confirm or deny this? I was thinking about buying a tablet and tethering my Motorola Droid 1 to it. Thanks in advance.

waynew73

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I thought I saw on some forum here that wireless tether wouldn't work from one android device to another. Can anyone confirm or deny this? I was thinking about buying a tablet and tethering my Motorola Droid 1 to it. Thanks in advance.

I've been tethering (through wi-fi hotspot) the Tab to my EVO and it works perfectly. No problems at all.

waynew73

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
So you didn't actually buy the wifi only version, you bought the 3G Sprint one off contract? Right?

Because best buy will be selling the wifi only version for $499.99

According to 2 BestBuy stores the "wifi" only version is the one with the Sprint logo..you just don't have a contract activated and it certainly wasn't $499, it was $599. If there was a wi-fi only version, I'm not sure why a non-contract version of Sprint would be sold to potentially compete against a lesser costing wi-fi version.

Bigchris

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
According to 2 BestBuy stores the "wifi" only version is the one with the Sprint logo..you just don't have a contract activated and it certainly wasn't $499, it was $599. If there was a wi-fi only version, I'm not sure why a non-contract version of Sprint would be sold to potentially compete against a lesser costing wi-fi version.

Unfortunately, I think they are missed informed, Samsung has not released the "WiFi only" version yet. I think people who want the Galaxy Tab are saying screw it, and getting them off contract and just using them without the 3g radio, but instead with the WiFi portion only. Which is what I'm going to do. The WiFi only version has cleared the FCC according to Engadget, http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/29/wifi-only-galaxy-tab-stops-by-the-fcc-for-tea/, but Samsung just hasn't said when it will be released yet. Rumors are all over the place if it will be this year or next.

Last edited: