Missing Homescreen Icons

DaEXfactoR

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
I lose certain Home screen icons every time I power down my Galaxy Tab. This happens when I turn the Tab off, then when I power it up, some icons are missing from the home screen. Not all of them are missing, but it is always the same apps, or at least the ones that I notice, ex., AppBrain, ChromeMarks, Comics. These are the apps I notice are missing, not sure if it occurs with widgets. I think it only happens to apps stored on the SD card. Even after the device has finished reading the SD card though, these icons do not reappear. I have to add them back to the home screen manually. Has anyone else experienced this? Any insight will be helpful.
Thanks

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
No. They were added by long pressing the icon in the apps drawer, then dragging to the home screen.
Ok, now that's a little puzzling. I would understand if they were added automatically with an installed app.

Add them on again. Restart the device and see what happen.

Reactions: DaEXfactoR

DaEXfactoR

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
OK, tried turning it off, then on again, to see if it would happen, and it did. I am going to run a test to try and determine if it occurs only to apps with SD card storage support.

DaEXfactoR

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
It appears that this only happens with apps stored on SD card. I added several shortcuts. The apps stored on the device still had shortcuts on the home screen, the ones on SD did not. So, it appears there may be an issue with the sd card or sd card support. I would bring it to Sprint, but there option is to wipe the device. I can do that on my own after I back everything up.
Thanks for your help.

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Tapatalk

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
It appears that this only happens with apps stored on SD card. I added several shortcuts. The apps stored on the device still had shortcuts on the home screen, the ones on SD did not. So, it appears there may be an issue with the sd card or sd card support. I would bring it to Sprint, but there option is to wipe the device. I can do that on my own after I back everything up.
Thanks for your help.

I hope if you decide on resetting the device... it fixes the problem.

Good luck.

PookiePrancer

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for your help.

Yes, it's a known bug on all Tabs, it seems (I have the Verizon version) : desktop icons for apps installed on the sd card will disappear on every reboot. A pleasant side effect I noticed after rooting my Tab was that this behavior went away and my icons now stay put! I really don't think wiping everything will do anything for you, but the only thing you really have to lose if you try is time. Oh, and it stands to reason, of course, that if you move the apps back to internal memory, the problem will be fixed.

Last edited:

DNoble

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
Hi,
I am having a similar issue with my HTC MyTouch 4g where all the home screen shortcuts and widgets disappear. I have to re-add them manually. I dont store any apps on the SD card is there anything else that could cause this?

Thanks

vferrari

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Hi,
I am having a similar issue with my HTC MyTouch 4g where all the home screen shortcuts and widgets disappear. I have to re-add them manually. I dont store any apps on the SD card is there anything else that could cause this?

Thanks

For the Galaxy Tab this was definitely a known bug solely related to the Samsung proprietary Touchwiz interface. So for your device, it would probably be best to post your question in the HTC My touch forum section if you have not done so already. You might also ensure you've done all the basics like factory reset and installed all the latest updates as applicable for your device.

FWIW this bug seems to have been resolved in the latest official update to Gingerbread for the Galaxy Tab.

Reactions: DNoble

DNoble

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
For the Galaxy Tab this was definitely a known bug solely related to the Samsung proprietary Touchwiz interface. So for your device, it would probably be best to post your question in the HTC My touch forum section if you have not done so already. You might also ensure you've done all the basics like factory reset and installed all the latest updates as applicable for your device.

FWIW this bug seems to have been resolved in the latest official update to Gingerbread for the Galaxy Tab.
vferrari thanks for the response I was hoping to avoid a factory reset but will give that a try
Also hoping for the GB update on the MyTouch

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexpall