Call volume issue?

dishe

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
My Sprint-branded device has the incoming call volume stuck at maximum levels. Pressing the volume keys moves the slider during a call as it should, however the actual volume of the sound coming out of the headset doesn't always change. It seems to work when I make outgoing calls, but incoming calls revert to MAX and sometimes requires holding the phone a few cm away from my head so that it doesn't kill my ear drum. Sound also crackles and peaks because of the volume, making it hard to hear.

I've seen that I'm not alone in this:
https://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/115284?start=0&tstart=0

But I'm wondering why some people have this problem while others don't. Is there a rhyme or reason to it? Do any VM users get this issue?

Lyle Hazelwood

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
You are not alone. I have exactly the same problem. There are a bunch of folks on the Ting forums as well.

As far as I can tell, this is what happens:
The call volume buttons work, the volume control is displayed on screen, but it never changes the volume.
Before the last update everything worked. After the update everything was still OK, but I suspect I had already lost use of the volume control, and it just stayed where it had been.
At some point something writes a higher number into the volume register, and from that point on your call volume is so high it damages the internal speaker (and your ear).
Since the volume control does not reach that register, you're kinda screwed from then on.

After trying a bunch of other stuff I ended up doing a complete reset/factory reinstall..
And now it's back to a reasonable volume, but the volume buttons still do nothing at all.

For whatever it's worth, I do NOT believe that telling the customer to "wipe their phone" is a reasonable answer.
And nobody yet has tried to tell me that.. I am working with Ting customer service now, and I may have to return
the phone if we can't figure out how to make it work or revert to a previous version of Android.

After an attempt to find Samsung support to report the problem, the closest thing I could find was their developers forum.
I have reported the bug there in as much detail as I could, but I really have no idea if anyone at Samsung will bother.

Good Luck!
Lyle