Verizon LTE Watch 4 still overheating after the latest update.

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
What are you doing with the watch when this happens. I have same watch and mine only over heated if I tried downloading a app while streaming music. Hasn't done it since with normal usage.

Nothing, just walking around the block in an area with zero cell reception. It overheads when it is searching for a cell signal and there is none.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Nothing, just walking around the block in an area with zero cell reception. It overheads when it is searching for a cell signal and there is none.
Well my watch just got a update last night, so maybe they fixed this. Waiting on samsung to fix something can be a pain.

I don't think the watch is actually overheating, it isn't hot to the touch. I think it's a software glitch myself.

kbboykin

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Well my watch just got a update last night, so maybe they fixed this. Waiting on samsung to fix something can be a pain.

I don't think the watch is actually overheating, it isn't hot to the touch. I think it's a software glitch myself.

Curious, what is the build? Is it different from BUI5?

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
BUI5 is the update I just got from Verizon yesterday and my watch overheated after this update was installed. I'll take another walk later today in that same area and see if it does it again.

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
BUI5 is the update I just got from Verizon yesterday and my watch overheated after this update was installed. I'll take another walk later today in that same area and see if it does it again.
Have you thought about disabling the cellular service while your in that area since you say it's overheating while searching for signal?

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Well IMO shouldn't have to do that. This is the first Samsung watch that does this, so Samsung needs to fix it. So far going to wear OS isn't all that spectacular. I'm debating about going back to the watch 3.
Choice is yours. Was just giving you a suggestion as constantly searching for service is heavy intensive especially for a watch.

kikbxr1969

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
Well IMO shouldn't have to do that. This is the first Samsung watch that does this, so Samsung needs to fix it. So far going to wear OS isn't all that spectacular. I'm debating about going back to the watch 3.
You can add "Mobile Data" to the quick panel so that it's available as an easy toggle.

Go to the wear app, select "Quick Panel", then drag the "Mobile Data" icon to your preferred order on the panel.

Personally, I leave mine off all the time unless I know I'm going to need stand alone mode on the watch. In addition to the overheat issue, this let's me get almost 3 days on battery.

I also leave wifi on auto, HRM on 10 minutes, and AOD off for my other settings. Screenshot_20211014-083017_Galaxy%20Watch4%20Plugin.jpgScreenshot_20211014-082940_Galaxy%20Watch4%20Plugin.jpg

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
It's disheartening to read this thread and I hope Samsung gets it straight. I wonder if this is a common issue. I can't imagine the backlash if Apple had overheating Apple Watch 7s. I haven't researched this but wonder why the change from Tizen to Wear OS and if that's part of the reason for this.

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
You can add "Mobile Data" to the quick panel so that it's available as an easy toggle.

Go to the wear app, select "Quick Panel", then drag the "Mobile Data" icon to your preferred order on the panel.

Personally, I leave mine off all the time unless I know I'm going to need stand alone mode on the watch. In addition to the overheat issue, this let's me get almost 3 days on battery.

I also leave wifi on auto, HRM on 10 minutes, and AOD off for my other settings. View attachment 337841View attachment 337842

Thank you for this. Guess I'll be turning off my mobile data also as I only need it once in a blue moon.

kikbxr1969

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
The whole point of this is you should not have to do this. It's not ok to have to do a work around to get it to work as the predecessor. Samsung needs to fix this.
Actually, it's not that different from the predecessors.

A simple search reveals numerous complaints for the same thing in the watch 3.

https://www.google.com/search?q=gal...e area&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1-m

I did the same with my Watch 3 for the same reason: primarily battery life. I don't need to keep my lte on except when I'm out of bluetooth or wifi range on my phone. But, it's worthwhile to have lte in a pinch.

I also had my watch 3 dump itself into airplane mode due to heat when I was using it stand alone in fringe coverage areas. That seemed to do the trick.

Do I wish both watches were better at dealing with poor coverage? Sure.

Do I understand that even my phone has issues with overheating when I take it out on the kayak where I'm bouncing in and out of coverage? You bet ya.