This late in the game - Watch 3 or wait for Watch 4?

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Thinking about getting the Galaxy Watch 3 but was wondering if it was better to wait for the watch 4 this late in the game?

What ya think?

jbjtkbw007

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
Why not wait for it to come out, then make a decision when you can make an informed decision? No one knows yet or knows what your tastes are. There is literally nothing to base a decision on at this point other than heresay.

KruseLudsMobile

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
Thinking about getting the Galaxy Watch 3 but was wondering if it was better to wait for the watch 4 this late in the game?

What ya think?
The only difference between Galaxy Watch and the latest version (3) is slightly better sensors in the new one but a battery that is 50% smaller in the newer one as well! But this past is key - they are both Tizen. Within the last 24 hours there was an announcement from Samsung and Google that Tizen and Wear OS are going to be combined for v4, combining the very best of both and also Fitbit which Google evidently bought recently, AND the fact that v4 is coming out THIS YEAR. So the answer is obvious - wait - also think of the play store - the selection of software and watch faces for v4 I would expect to be much larger than it is for v3!. Also, the development told for Tizen are going to be powered over to the new combined watch OS as well. So with this great news - just wait!

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Honestly, I would either get the watch 3 and keep it for a couple years or so or wait a couple years to get the new tech. The current watches with the tizen OS are proven and work good. With watch 4 they plan on combining the tizen with Wear OS. While new tech sounds great, that usually comes with issues. I would personally take a wait and see approach with the watch 4. So if you want one now, get the watch 3 and enjoy it for a couple years. The new wear OS operating system will only get better and kinks worked out over the next couple years or so. I'm not even sure there will be much to jump up and down about with the new Wear OS. Samsung has already said that the tizen based watches will be supported for 3 years or more, so my suggestion is to get the watch 3.

KruseLudsMobile

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, I would either get the watch 3 and keep it for a couple years or so or wait a couple years to get the new tech. The current watches with the tizen OS are proven and work good. With watch 4 they plan on combining the tizen with Wear OS. While new tech sounds great, that usually comes with issues. I would personally take a wait and see approach with the watch 4. So if you want one now, get the watch 3 and enjoy it for a couple years. The new operating system will only get better and kinks worked out over the next couple years or so. I'm not even sure there will be much to jump up and down about with the new OS. Samsung has already said that the tizen based watches will be supported for 3 years or more, so my suggestion is to get the watch 3.
Yes the manufacturer would support it, but the development community has no incentive to develop anything for the older models as only the newer OS would be used for any newly sold units.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Yes the manufacturer would support it, but the development community has no incentive to develop anything for the older models as only the newer OS would be used for any newly sold units.
I still think staying with the watch 3 for now is better. I'll be surprised if there aren't kinks to be worked out with the new system coming in the watch 4. There's enough apps for the current system. I see the new watch will be able to use Google maps with the new system.. Well that's a battery hog, so who cares in the long run. Watches are meant for notifications and time. You run Google maps and you will have a dead battery in a hour or 2. Just my opinion.. Wait a couple years for the new wear OS, the watch 3 works great, boo issues.

ROE_HUNTER

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site

What ya think?

At this point, wait for the Galaxy Watch 4, not sure if you have a smartwatch now, but the one thing I have always thought Tizen was lacking is 3rd party app support. I know there are a few, but Wear OS has more. I can remember my Moto360 having more. I was always surprised when I installed a new app and it would have a watch app to go with it. Can't say that about Tizen, unless it's the Samsung apps. I have the OG Galaxy Watch and love it. The Moto360 was slower than the GW even back when it was fairly new. The 2 things I am concerned about in a Wear OS Samsung watch is OS speed and battery life. Guess we will have to wait and see.

Last edited:

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Tizen is obsolete, if it's a hard choice I'd say wait.

But if you can get a good price on the watch 3 you can always trade it in when the watch 4 releases.

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
But if you can get a good price on the watch 3 you can always trade it in when the watch 4 releases.

This, absolutely. Samsung has been known to offer some great trade in deals, even on older devices. For example, last year I believe they were offering ~$250 for an S2 watch trade in (3 years old at the time I think) against the purchase of GW3. With a couple other small discounts involved, it brought the price to somewhere between $149 and $179 for a brand new GW3. Pretty unbeatable in my opinion.

ROE_HUNTER

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
This, absolutely. Samsung has been known to offer some great trade in deals, even on older devices. For example, last year I believe they were offering ~$250 for an S2 watch trade in (3 years old at the time I think) against the purchase of GW3. With a couple other small discounts involved, it brought the price to somewhere between $149 and $179 for a brand new GW3. Pretty unbeatable in my opinion.

Yay! Maybe I can trade in my OG Galaxy Watch on it?

Rufinoman

Jul 28, 2017
Visit site
I bought a Watch 3 today and while I'm still playing with it, I'm glad I decided to buy it now because the W4 is going to be very expensive where I live.
Besides, I found a deal with 20% discount direct from Samsung Argentina, presumably prior to them pushing the W4 down here.
I'm very impressed with the easy set up :)

BerryBubbles

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I bought a Watch 3 today and while I'm still playing with it, I'm glad I decided to buy it now because the W4 is going to be very expensive where I live.
Besides, I found a deal with 20% discount direct from Samsung Argentina, presumably prior to them pushing the W4 down here.
I'm very impressed with the easy set up :)

I have had the GS3 for about 4 months now & it has been a great device. Offers everything I need & has wonderful battery life which lasts for days. (Probably because I'm not a 'power user'.) I also power off my watch at night because I don't need to sleep with it on.

Enjoy your new watch! Glad you found a good deal!

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
The 4 battery capacity is ~10% higher than the 3, so the 4 should last longer, but since this isn't an apples to apples comparison (different OS) it's hard to definitely say. So much depends on how it's used. IMO, AOD and continuous heart pulse monitoring have the greatest impact.

mlblack16

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site
It's a daily charger, unless you go ultra conservative, keeping wake gestures and AOD turned off, as well as using mostly black watchfaces. I used to top off my original Galaxy Watch every night anyway and never traveled without the charger, so it's not a big deal to me. A full day of typical use for me is 7a-10p and I'm still holding 50% - 60% charge. I keep AOD on and don't have anything shut down. I have auto detect workouts enabled, steps, etc, but don't have any continuous heart rate monitoring enabled, although I did try it yesterday and didn't notice any faster battery drain.

KruseLudsMobile

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
The only difference between Galaxy Watch and the latest version (3) is slightly better sensors in the new one but a battery that is 50% smaller in the newer one as well! But this past is key - they are both Tizen. Within the last 24 hours there was an announcement from Samsung and Google that Tizen and Wear OS are going to be combined for v4, combining the very best of both and also Fitbit which Google evidently bought recently, AND the fact that v4 is coming out THIS YEAR. So the answer is obvious - wait - also think of the play store - the selection of software and watch faces for v4 I would expect to be much larger than it is for v3!. Also, the development told for Tizen are going to be powered over to the new combined watch OS as well. So with this great news - just wait!

I just wanted to add, just saw a Galaxy Watch 4 review - keeps overheating and battery dying... not a good sign at all! Maybe better to wait until the first firmware update to see if that gets resolved - Ugh!

Last edited: