Android Messages

gonecks1

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Does this not work on the watch? It's my default on my Note 8, and it looks like in order for messages on my watch, I have to change the default to Samsung's messaging app?

nofaithineli

May 29, 2016
Visit site
Can you offer any assistance in getting this to work? Once I change the default message app on my phone to anything but Samsung messages, I get a "Can't retrieve messages. Change your default messaging app to Messages" on my watch.

dmatlick

Nov 12, 2011
Visit site
When I paired my galaxy watch with my samsung s9+, it told me I had to use the default messaging app or messages would not appear on my watch.

gonecks1

May 11, 2011
Visit site
I get the notification when one comes through, but if I don't open it in n time, it's gone. I'll turn the dial to the notification screen and says no notifications.

Bearcats98

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
I just read this on a zdnet. Hope I am not violating anything this way. This is a real stinker for me as I was going to but this tomorrow as I wanted to be able to read messages (not interested in responding) as I am an old school heavy texter. Not being able to use my text message app is going to make this a no go as I dont want to be locked into ONE specific app.

I am bummed. Why would they do this. I understand trying to keep people in the same ecosystem...but... :-(

ZDNET said:
How can I respond to messages and email?

In order for text messages to work on the Galaxy Watch, you need to make sure you have the Samsung Messages app installed as the default text message application on your phone. There are standard quick reply options available and these can also be customized to make replying easier too.

When responding to a message or email scroll down to the bottom of the message and you will see three icons: blue microphone, purple smiley face, and a red T with small keyboard. These are your three possible input methods.

Tapping the blue microphone launches the voice input option so simply speak your message and you will see it convert from your voice to text right on the display.
gw-keyboard-entry.jpg
Image: Samsung

Tapping the purple smiley face opens a screen where you can choose an emoji category and then a specific emoji or select to doodle. With the doodle option you simply draw an image to send to the recipient.

Tapping on the red T with small keyboard opens up keyboard options. These options include writing out text with your finger one letter at a time or using a T9 input keyboard. You use a combination of bezel rotations and taps on the display to enter text using this method.

nrfitchett4

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm using textra and messaging works the same on the watch except it doesn't give audible notification, only vibration.
Has Samsung fixed the messaging app yet? Picture messages were failing repeatedly.

Christopher92

Oct 15, 2018
Visit site
I have a LG g6 and there seems to be no messages app I can get on my watch to view message threads. Also my notification don't show until I click on the lock screen on my phone defeating the purpose of the watch. I know you have a note so I'd hope it worked better but I'll be returning mine due to lack of texting options. It's sad I started with Samsung with the s2 because I hate how non universal apple is and they force you to buy everything of theirs to achieve compatibility. Now it's looking like Samsung is headed the same direction

pdone

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
It works for me. I can reply to Google Messages from the notification. If I miss the notification I can open the rext app on the watch. I get the message telling me I need to switch to Samsung Messages, but I just press the x and my history pops up anyway. I can respond from there if needed. I'm using a Galaxy S7.

nofaithineli

May 29, 2016
Visit site
Interesting! Also EXTREMELY disappointing that the pop-up message serves no purpose other than to trick and/or nag you into using the Samsung Messages app.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
Interesting! Also EXTREMELY disappointing that the pop-up message serves no purpose other than to trick and/or nag you into using the Samsung Messages app.

It is disappointing. The Galaxy Watch is a great product IMO but is not well represented/supported by Samsung.

chas1723

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
I've been using Textra and have had no issues whatsoever...
I finally figured out I had to allow permission on the watch for textra. I can reply to text coming in but not start one from scratch. This is my first smart watch so there is a bit of a learning curve.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thewhitecarno