Samsung Pay on Watch

JWhales

Dec 25, 2018
Visit site
Has anyone been able to successfully use Samsung Pay on Galaxy Watch? I've tried three places, none of them work on the watch. Samsung Pay on phone works fine in all three places.

Yes, I had this setup correctly on the watch and am able to start the paying process on the watch, but none of the terminals would accept.

I searched on the forums for this and only see it works on Gear.

Devhux

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Do the terminals accept NFC or just the magnetic stripe? The Galaxy Watch doesn't support MST, whereas the older Gear S3 did.

That said, how the heck do you guys get MST to work on the phone? I can almost never get it to work for me (using an Otterbox Symmetry Case now, but have tried other cases with no luck - NFC works fine on the phone too.

JWhales

Dec 25, 2018
Visit site
Oh, I see. Not sure if they have NFC terminals or not. It's at Home Depot, a grocery store and a gas station. Are NFC terminals always labeled? I did not see any labels to that effect at those stores.

I only started using mobile pay recently, don't know why it worked with my phone (Note 8) at those stores. My phone also has a medium thick case. Don't remember the brand now and the label is worn out:(.

Last edited:

crackhead007

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
The Samsung Watch cannot do Samsung Pay as far as I have read. It think it is stated somewhere. I do not believe the watch has the magnetic card emulator but I believe it does have NFC so you can use Google Pay.

The Note 8 works with almost all magnetic card readers because of the emulator. And in the US almost all terminals have some indication about the ability to do NFC. Most will say Google Pay such as Home Depot.

Devhux

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
There are two forms of payment Samsung Pay can work with: MST & NFC. (magnetic secure transmission or near-field communication). NFC-capable readers will display the attached icon.

The Galaxy Watch only supports Samsung Pay using the NFC method, so it won't work on card readers that only have a magnetic stripe. It will also not work with Google Pay as Google won't offer support for that on anything other than Android & WearOS devices.
157437bf5b4e1bcf8bf0e754225ca5ca.jpg

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
The Samsung Watch cannot do Samsung Pay as far as I have read. It think it is stated somewhere. I do not believe the watch has the magnetic card emulator but I believe it does have NFC so you can use Google Pay.

The Note 8 works with almost all magnetic card readers because of the emulator. And in the US almost all terminals have some indication about the ability to do NFC. Most will say Google Pay such as Home Depot.
The Galaxy watch can definitely do Samsung Pay. Others have already explained the difference between using it on the phone and the Galaxy Watch so I won't rehash that.

As a side note, the Gear S3 does handle Samsung Pay exactly as the watch does using both MST and NFC. The GW is NFC only.

sygnus21

Aug 19, 2018
Visit site
The Samsung Watch cannot do Samsung Pay as far as I have read.

I'm not sure what you're talking about because Samsung Pay is DEFINITLY on the watch and you CAN use it. You just need to set it up. The fact that it may be on your phone is not enough. You need to add a card(s) to the watch itself. Follow the setup instructions for doing so. Then after you setup one card, you can import your other cards from your phone if you've got more than one card there. I just did the setup and now both my cards are showing on the watch itself. And yes, the watch only uses NFC; unlike my Note 9 which uses both magnetic and NFC. In fact, I don't even have NFC enabled on the phone, and have not run into an issue where SP didn't work.

Oh BTW, I just got an update for Samsung Pay on the watch.

sonnnet

Apr 19, 2015
Visit site
There are two forms of payment Samsung Pay can work with: MST & NFC. (magnetic secure transmission or near-field communication). NFC-capable readers will display the attached icon.

The Galaxy Watch only supports Samsung Pay using the NFC method, so it won't work on card readers that only have a magnetic stripe. It will also not work with Google Pay as Google won't offer support for that on anything other than Android & WearOS devices. //uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190102/157437bf5b4e1bcf8bf0e754225ca5ca.jpg
This explanation is spot on. Unfortunately in the UK, Samsung Pay only supports a handful of banks, not even the biggest banking group, although they say more are to come. I would quite like to use Samsung Pay, but not to the extent and hassle of changing my bank, so I'll wait...

Devhux

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Understandable. Here in Canada it's similar, but my bank does happen to support Samsung Pay so I'm happy about that

JWhales

Dec 25, 2018
Visit site
Thank everyone for helping me understand NFC vs. MST. Yes, I was able to use Samsung Pay on the watch to make payment at work. So the setup and the watch is working as intended. Now the challenge will be to tell which terminal will work without trying on each one:D.

Devhux

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Thank everyone for helping me understand NFC vs. MST. Yes, I was able to use Samsung Pay on the watch to make payment at work. So the setup and the watch is working as intended. Now the challenge will be to tell which terminal will work without trying on each one:D.
Easiest is to look for that icon I shared above. It'll either be on the machine itself or it'll show up on screen when you're ready to pay (if it says "Tap to pay" then you should be good too)

sygnus21

Aug 19, 2018
Visit site
Now the challenge will be to tell which terminal will work without trying on each one:D.

If you see a terminal with this symbol....
NFC Pay.jpg
It should work, if not it may be an MST system. One thing to double check though is that NFC is actually turned on, on the watch....Settings, Connections, NFC.

On my Note 9 phone I don't have NFC enabled, and I've been using Samsung Pay without issue thus far. Used in at a number of stores in a number of states. Thus far I've been able to get away with just using one the phone. Haven't tried the watch yet.

sygnus21

Aug 19, 2018
Visit site
Yeah, I've used my watch a couple of times without issue. The only thing that's quirk some is getting the reader or store clerk to scan the watch effectively. I've found at times (like today) it's simply easier and faster to use my phone than trying to get the watch scanned. But that's a personal/convenience thing. The watch though does work.

Devhux

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
On my Note 9 phone I don't have NFC enabled, and I've been using Samsung Pay without issue thus far. Used in at a number of stores in a number of states. Thus far I've been able to get away with just using one the phone. Haven't tried the watch yet.

Samsung Pay on the phone will automatically turn on NFC when needed, then disable it again after the transaction. Here in Canada most terminals are NFC-capable and that's how I do it too.

Now if I can actually get my phone to work in MST mode at Walmart I'd be happy, but I just never seem to have luck there. Not sure if it's my Otterbox Symmetry Case or whether I just can't get the phone in the right spot, but I've almost never had luck with MST

Devhux

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Considering that I have always had issues with MST payments for some reason, and that I hold my phone near the NFC reader to pay for transactions a fair bit with Samsung Pay, I can pretty much guarantee it auto-enables NFC.

Also, this thread talks about it.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/s...81378-does-nfc-have-left-use-samsung-pay.html

Edit - I just might have solved my MST issues once and for all!

Most of the time I use my debit card for Samsung Pay. I just noticed when I pull up Samsung Pay to use it, it says "Place the back of the device near the NFC Reader." when I select my credit card though, it says "Place the back of the device near the NFC/card reader. Beside my debit card it also shows the NFC icon. I bank with CIBC in Canada, so it appears their debit cards won't work with MST transactions via Samsung Pay - which explains why I've always had issues. The odd time I saw it work was when I just have selected the credit card.

Interesting.......