Real water resistance

arunma

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
That's very impressive!
Is there any way to estimate how deep you could go with the watch?

Well, that's something that the manufacturer has to tell you. But given the maximum depth if the watch is motionless, you can calculate how fast you can move your wrists at any depth less than the maximim.

sonnnet

Apr 19, 2015
Visit site
Thanks. Apparently they claim 50 meters for 10 minutes (5 ATM). But don't say how much, if any, movement at that depth.

Scott Usher

Nov 13, 2015
Visit site
I bbn ought one last september. I swim laps about 3 times a week. 2000 meters each time. After 2 weeks, the watch went bizerk. Sent it back to samsung, they fixed it, & the next time I swam, it did it again. Sent it back to samsung again. I was told that it had water damage & that it could not be repaired. I asked if they were going to replace it, they told me because it had water damage, they would not replace it. I got on twitter & got ahold of a social media support team at Samsung, & explained to them what Samsung support told me. They were able to get them to refund my purchase money, but it took them several months to get to that point. Get the in store warranty to avoid this incredible hassle.

sonnnet

Apr 19, 2015
Visit site
I bbn ought one last september. I swim laps about 3 times a week. 2000 meters each time. After 2 weeks, the watch went bizerk. Sent it back to samsung, they fixed it, & the next time I swam, it did it again. Sent it back to samsung again. I was told that it had water damage & that it could not be repaired. I asked if they were going to replace it, they told me because it had water damage, they would not replace it. I got on twitter & got ahold of a social media support team at Samsung, & explained to them what Samsung support told me. They were able to get them to refund my purchase money, but it took them several months to get to that point. Get the in store warranty to avoid this incredible hassle.
That's awful, sorry to hear that. Sounds like the watch was defective and their 'repair' clearly didn't work. It's a shame you didn't get a new watch replacement because then you'd know if it was just the original watch that was faulty.
Did you buy another one or had you had enough by the point you got your money back?

Sameera Kasun2

Mar 26, 2019
Visit site
I can't answer your question about depth, I'm afraid. But I swim breaststroke 'underwater', ie just below the water's surface and the watch is absolutely fine. I was pleasantly surprised that heart rate tends to track constantly (at least as good, if not better than when I'm out running). Also the length counter was spot on. I hate counting lengths, and now I don't have to!
Hi I bought this watch recently and I'm afraid to put in water. I usually swim for like 2 hours on a single day so soaking the watch for 2 hours at a breath would that be a problem?

Greymire

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Hi I bought this watch recently and I'm afraid to put in water. I usually swim for like 2 hours on a single day so soaking the watch for 2 hours at a breath would that be a problem?
It shouldn't be an issue. I have been swimming with mine. It's a good idea to put it in water lock mode. Don't be scared if it look like there is water under the screen. It is a graphic Samsung uses to show water mode. It would be a good idea to shower with it after or rinse under water to get chlorine out/off. When you leave water lock it will run water reject briefly but it's not long enough. I recommend running it a couple more times. You can sort of hear when it's clear. It will not rattle during the ejection tone as much.

One side note, while Samsung claims it's OK I would avoid pressing buttons under water. There are some watches that will actually allow water in if you so that. Samsung will not but I always say better safe than sorry.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I know the shower and swimming is not the same, but I shower with mine all the time and have not experienced any issues.

arunma

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
Finally got around to swimming with mine the other day. My watch was fine, but as soon as I went under water it lost its Bluetooth connection. Is this what everyone else experienced too?

Joe-84

Apr 8, 2019
Visit site
Ironically it just so happens I'm a physicist. That said, the calculation is actually pretty simple. My back of the envelope estimate is that at the surface, you'd need to be moving your hands at 70 mph to exceed the pressure tolerance.

Hello Aruma

Im a scuba diver, i would not plan on using it on a deep dive, but i am wondering if it would handle a shallow dive.

Could you do the maths for 10,20,30,40 meters?

Mainly just curious, i use a diving computer when i go deep.

Tks

harleygiesbrecht

Jun 29, 2019
Visit site
Well, I've been scuba diving with my Galaxy down to 40 ft and been doing it for 3-4 hrs a day and never use the water lock or the speaker clearing function, still works perfect no issues at all. I am just wishing for an app that tells me water depth so I can use it for more than the time.