Scary moment in shower with Gear2

steezlamf

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
The first thing I did once I was home with the watch was use the music player in the shower. The speakers got wet and stopped working, until they dried off a few hours later and seem to be working fine now. Also, the water droplets on the screen would register as touches to the watch. Anyone else run into this? Is this how the speakers are supposed to work, in order to be waterproof? Because it seems like a cop out if the speakers cease to function when wet.

haus

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Edit: you're not trolling are you?

This is probably the distinction between "waterproof/resistant" and "for underwater/wet use". The speaker hole is tiny, so any water in there will probably render it useless. On the Gear 1 you could cover the speaker with a light finger touch and render it almost completely silent as well. It's just the design of such a tiny speaker. I think the purpose of the Gear 2 being water resistant is that you don't need to worry should you find yourself in a heavy rainstorm, but it is not meant for listening to music under a constant spray of water.

The part about water droplets being registered as taps is interesting (and somewhat unfortunate). The watch could do some really unexpected things if random water droplets tapped it just right (take photos, make calls, etc.)

Trent9810

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Yes the screen doesn't like water on it. I ran in the rain yesterday and when I'd try and check the msg I'd get it would do weird stuff. Maybe a screen protector will help?

Posted via Android Central App

jrog28

May 28, 2010
Visit site
The first thing I did once I was home with the watch was use the music player in the shower. The speakers got wet and stopped working, until they dried off a few hours later and seem to be working fine now. Also, the water droplets on the screen would register as touches to the watch. Anyone else run into this? Is this how the speakers are supposed to work, in order to be waterproof? Because it seems like a cop out if the speakers cease to function when wet.

Thought you got something caught in the wristband...:eek:

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Yes the screen doesn't like water on it. I ran in the rain yesterday and when I'd try and check the msg I'd get it would do weird stuff. Maybe a screen protector will help?

I would venture a guess that a protector that transmits finger touches accurately, would also allow raindrops to "pass thru" as touches.

JacksonEdwardHarrison

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Don't forget, Samsung has never promoted IP67 as allowing you to shower with the device. It's said if you get stuck in the rain, get it wet while washing your hands or accidentally drop it in water and pull it out, you're cool. The Pebble is fully sealed and you don't have to remove it for a shower. Handy, but then you're stuck with a damn Pebble.