Will Gear S Require Separate Calling Plan?

furiousyellow

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
How does it work when the watch has its own SIM card?

Really like the new curved design but don't want to pay for another calling plan. Have my phone with me most of the time any way but it would great to leave it at home when I go for a run or to the gym.

QBert

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I have the same question - how will it work with my current plan (or will it at all)? Will I need a separate sim or do I use the one in my phone (which would not be convenient since my sim is behind the back cover of my phone)? Can I use it without connecting it to the network at all, or will it be sold tied to a contract? Really curious how all of this will play out, especially with the announcement that it will include Nike+.

Posted via Android Central App

QBert

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
FWIW, they did have some discussion about this in this week's podcast - it's still not clear how exactly this will work though. We should find out soon enough though! Going to be a great week!

Posted via Android Central App

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
The sim card on the S5 or other phones seems to be a bit big to fit in the sim slot of the Gear S, so a separate smaller sim card (a nano sim card) is needed. Since all incoming calls will be call forwarded from the main phone, perhaps we don't need a separate phone number, or even a separate calling plan? We will find out soon.

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
This is precisely the thing that will guarantee I won't get it. If It requires a SIM Card and I have to spend an additional 10 or 15 dollars a month to use it. It is a immediate no start for me. The sad part is I see ATT trying to do that just like they add tabs for $10. If the SIM isn't required it may not be that bad. Time will tell though

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
I'd be surprised if the carriers didn't require an additional calling plan. If some customers are willing to pay for a separate line for tablets, other customers may do the same for a stand alone smartwatch. Those who are unwilling to pay can use it for bluetooth - wifi connection.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
A SIM card, by definition, is a separate line or account. Given it is dual-band GSM 2g/3g only, it can only be used on limited carriers. For example, in US, the only carrier fits the spec is AT&T.

I suspect the sim card part is optional. Without it, the Gear S can still connect to your existing smartphone with Bluetooth or wifi.

But with the dedicated SIM card, you can go out without bring your phone with you (of course, ppl have to reach you on a different phone number).

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
A SIM card, by definition, is a separate line or account. Given it is dual-band GSM 2g/3g only, it can only be used on limited carriers. For example, in US, the only carrier fits the spec is AT&T.

I suspect the sim card part is optional. Without it, the Gear S can still connect to your existing smartphone with Bluetooth or wifi.

But with the dedicated SIM card, you can go out without bring your phone with you (of course, ppl have to reach you on a different phone number).
Thanks for the explanation. I may have to switch from TMobile to AT&T to use the device as a standalone. If 2 separate sim cards are needed, I would think a new number is needed, which makes sense why Samsung promote the call forwarding feature, so all calls to the original or first number are forwarded to the new device with the new or 2nd number. If so, does that mean all calls made from the device would show up with the new number?

riceastwood

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I don't see why you would have to switch feom tmo to at&t when this device with be carried by the major providers. I have sprint and I can bet they will have sim cards for this. I wish samsumg would put out full detailed information on this watch instead of the heart monitor.

Posted via Android Central App GN2

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I don't see why you would have to switch feom tmo to at&t when this device with be carried by the major providers. I have sprint and I can bet they will have sim cards for this. I wish samsumg would put out full detailed information on this watch instead of the heart monitor.

So far, only two GSM models announced. The one for US only contains 850/1900 bands which works for AT&T but not for T-Mobile as T-Mobile uses 1700 and 2100 for 3G in many places.

There is no CDMA versions announced yet. I doubt carriers are that interested to subsidize watches.

riceastwood

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
So far, only two GSM models announced. The one for US only contains 850/1900 bands which works for AT&T but not for T-Mobile as T-Mobile uses 1700 and 2100 for 3G in many places.

There is no CDMA versions announced yet. I doubt carriers are that interested to subsidize watches.

That sucks. I have Sprint and I am not thinking of switching carries just fir a watch lol. It would be nice to have and leave the phone home when making a short run but if I deal with it now later won't make a difference. But for the explanation.

Lozdog7

Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys, I was wondering about the set up. So they have mentioned to start it up you need to use a Samsung phone (I believe its S3 and above) but then after that you have complete freedom. I don't really get that. Does that mean, in theory, that I could use my friends s4 (I have the nexus 5) to set it up and then afterwards pair it to my nexus to forward through the calls and texts with Bluetooth?
Replying to your original question. I had this issue too. I'm from Australia so I know they will not develop and Sim plans to support this... Unless perhaps apple did. (Apple says jump, we will do it). But I don't think that takes away from samsungs genius. They invented a product that virtually nobody can accommodate for yet, I just give them credits for that.
But to get past the annoyance of not being able to have 2 Sims with the same number I though logically about it. I will always have my phone on me with this watch so I can just use Bluetooth. Downside, battery. But for the times when I don't want to bring my phone specifically I can switch the Sim out. It will have to do until the world learns to keep up with Samsung.

Posted via the Android Central App

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
That sucks. I have Sprint and I am not thinking of switching carries just fir a watch lol. It would be nice to have and leave the phone home when making a short run but if I deal with it now later won't make a difference. But for the explanation.

That's the biggest difference between GSM carrier and CDMA carrier. With GSM carrier, you can use any GSM phone you can find as long as it supports the specific bands. Not so with CDMA, you MUST use the carrier branded phone. No exceptions (well except for Nexus 5 on Sprint which is a special cooperation between Google and Sprint). In order to use a CDMA phone on your carrier, its ESN must be in your carrier's database. The only way to get the ESN into the carrier's database is through carrier branding.

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Last edited:

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site

Same hear, I am with Tmobile, and I am tickled pink with my unlimited plan..My plan with other carriers I am sure would be 20% or more..Not leaving Tmobile..

Still getting it, and will be using it with my Note 4..

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I went to Best Buy today and they told me that I could use it the way I have my Galaxy Gear or I can use the SIM card option and have it hooked to my cellular account for a monthly fee.

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I went to Best Buy today and they told me that I could use it the way I have my Galaxy Gear or I can use the SIM card option and have it hooked to my cellular account for a monthly fee.
He/she is correct. The Gear S can be connected via bluetooth like the Galaxy Gear or Gear 2, with no plan needed, but if you want standalone, a SIM card is needed, thus the $10-$20 extra per month on top of your existing plan. I actually like that there are 2 options.

Gsxr151

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site

Wait a second...you didn't see the watch there, did you?

Feb 13, 2012
Visit site
Just did some work at a Best Buy and was told you wouldn't have to get a separate plan for the watch. It was a general statement but he made it seem somehow using your existing plan without extra cost per month. I'm skeptical but still interested in the watch. Bluetooth would be enough for me. I'll just start asking questions.

Gsxr151

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Just did some work at a Best Buy and was told you wouldn't have to get a separate plan for the watch. It was a general statement but he made it seem somehow using your existing plan without extra cost per month. I'm skeptical but still interested in the watch. Bluetooth would be enough for me. I'll just start asking questions.

Did you see the watch at Best Buy?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87