Gear S2 interfering with Bluetooth car and phone connection

h2osun

Mar 20, 2015
Visit site
So after a bit of experimenting, this is what i have going on. I have my gear s2 and a nexus 6p and a 2011 Toyota 4Runner with the navigation. My nexus can not gain access to my car via Bluetooth, either phone or car audio as long as the gear s2 has it's Bluetooth on. When i turn the Bluetooth off on my gear s2, i can then access the phone via car Bluetooth. Afterwards, i can turn the Bluetooth back on on the gear s2 and everything is fine.
Incidentally, i can pair and use the gear with my car Bluetooth (but can't get access to my contacts on the gear s2). With both available to my car phone, only the gear s2 will automatically pair with the car. I can't switch to my nexus from the gear. But if the gear is off, my phone then pairs automatically with my car.
Now i know the nexus 6p has some documented issues with Bluetooth. But has anybody had issues similar to this with their car and phone?

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Incidentally, i can pair and use the gear with my car Bluetooth (but can't get access to my contacts on the gear s2). With both available to my car phone, only the gear s2 will automatically pair with the car. I can't switch to my nexus from the gear. But if the gear is off, my phone then pairs automatically with my car.

I'm not sure I am following the entire situation. You can pair your watch with your car? Without the phone involved? Are you referring to the S2 3G? I only have the classic so I'm not familiar with how the 3G works.

I can tell you that the bluetooth issues w/Marshmallow (on the 6P) are real. I haven't tried turning off my watch to see if it works. I read about all the Marshmallow + car issues from people who don't have an S2 so I assume the S2 isn't causing my problems.

Not sure that really helps. You probably need someone with both the 6P and the S2 3G to answer this.

Dunc

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I'm having the same problem - Moto X Pure edition, Gear S2 3G, 2015 Audi S5. The issue, as it appears to me, is that both the watch and the car use bluetooth headset profiles. When I get into the car I'm already paired with the phone, so of course it doesn't go searching for another device (car) to pair with. Of course when I'm in my car I have no intention of talking to my watch - I want to use the car's bluetooth system.

I guess what I need is a location hack - when in the car disable watch's bluetooth. The car has wifi, so perhaps when it sees the wifi it could toggle bluetooth off. Not ideal, but not sure how else to deal with this.

Dunc

h2osun

Mar 20, 2015
Visit site
I've tried using an app called Bluetooth Auto Connect to help with prioritizing the devices using AD2P, it seems to work, but not every time. Right now i an down to disabling Bluetooth on the watch when i go to get in the car. Wish there was a faster/more direct way to access that on the watch.

patton02

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I had the same issue with the LG Watch Urbane 2nd edition LTE and a Nexus 6. I also had the same issue when I took back the LG and got the Gear S2. It was finally resolved when I went to the Note 5. Would be nice to know if it a Marshmallow issue.

My work around was, go into the Bluetooth settings on your phone and tap the cars Bluetooth device. You have to do this every time you get in the car but it should work. At least it did for me.

Posted via the Android Central App

Zylograth

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
I have noticed that my Gear S2 3G and my car bluetooth, 2014 Chevy Equinox, will fight and only allow one to connect to my Galaxy S7 Edge.

It's about 50/50 as to which device will win when I start the car. Sometimes that cars bluetooth wins and I no longer get notifications on my watch and sometimes the Gear S2 will win, in which case my car does not connect and cannot handle calls or streaming audio.

I will be testing today with the bluetooth turned off on my Gear S2 and letting it connect remotely via the data connection.

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
After some experimentation with my Gear S and Gear S2, I found the following:

Gear (either) paired to phone (AT&T Note Edge)
Gear (either) on Left Wrist
BT Headset on neck (LG Infinum or Platinum)
Phone in left front pants/shorts pocket

With this setup and all oft he combinations of devices, I look left or down while my arm is lowered to my side (natural posture), the BT cuts out and plays skipping or no audio.

Remove Gear (either) or put on my right wrist, no issues.

Put phone in right pocket with Gear (either) on left wrist, no issue.

There is definitely some interference. I thought it was the headset, and after LG, being patient, replaced them a few times, nothing changed until I started moving devices around. I have also had my phone replaced with same results.

David Bridgeman

Dec 6, 2016
Visit site
So after a bit of experimenting, this is what i have going on. I have my gear s2 and a nexus 6p and a 2011 Toyota 4Runner with the navigation. My nexus can not gain access to my car via Bluetooth, either phone or car audio as long as the gear s2 has it's Bluetooth on. When i turn the Bluetooth off on my gear s2, i can then access the phone via car Bluetooth. Afterwards, i can turn the Bluetooth back on on the gear s2 and everything is fine.
Now i know the nexus 6p has some documented issues with Bluetooth. But has anybody had issues similar to this with their car and phone?

David Bridgeman

Dec 6, 2016
Visit site
Although I have yet to get my Gear s2 Classic at Christmas 2016 I had already realised that you can't connect to two BT devices at the same time. So I have done some tests on an option that uses an NFC Tag placed on my mobile holder in my car. Using the automation app "Macrodroid" I have programed it to disconnect from one BT device, and to connect to my Car audio system on seeing the NFC Tag. So far it has worked every time.
I guess only time will tell if it's a complete success. I'll let you know in the new year.

Hope this helps or inspires

aiiee1

Jun 18, 2019
Visit site
Although I have yet to get my Gear s2 Classic at Christmas 2016 I had already realised that you can't connect to two BT devices at the same time. So I have done some tests on an option that uses an NFC Tag placed on my mobile holder in my car. Using the automation app "Macrodroid" I have programed it to disconnect from one BT device, and to connect to my Car audio system on seeing the NFC Tag. So far it has worked every time.
I guess only time will tell if it's a complete success. I'll let you know in the new year.

Hope this helps or inspires

Based on your response, I purchased some NFC tags _( can you really ever buy just one? ) and got the Pro version of Macrodroid only to find that you cannot use it to "disconnect from one BT device" if that device is not an audio device. How did you do it?