Should I get the Gear S2 or keep my Gear 2 Neo... DECISIONS!!!

mari dub

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
So I need you guys help I'm trying to decide if I want to keep my samsung galaxy gear 2 neo or should I upgrade and get the gear s2. Can you give me some of the things you like and also tell me some of the things you don't like about the Wi-Fi version of the gear s2.

Thanks Android Central family!!!

Galaxy Note 5 and what not

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I just got mine on Monday, still working on setting it up and learning curve so keep that in mind.

I love the new band! So much more comfortable than my Gear S! Although the clasp on the S works better for putting the watch on or taking it off I feel the s2 is so much less bulk after it's on.

I do wish device makers of any kind would not work so hard to make their products so slippery. The watchband is extremely slippery.

As much as I loved what the S does and felt Samsung was going in the right direction with the design over past models the watch was still very bulky for me. The s2 is much better for me in that respect.

I love the new round face vs the square or curved past versions.

I'm not happy not having found a watch face that allows me to have what I want on it that being the pedometer (steps only) and my new notifications icon along with time and date. I don't like having to scroll to get this information.

That mother nature thing drives me nuts I am constantly setting it off by mistake but there seems no way to be rid of it so that it's just not there when you slide over. I don't use it I prefer it be gone.

I was disappointed to learn that at least from what I can tell I cannot use my stylus on the watch. It seems to be fingers only and I would imagine people with larger fingers might have some difficulty managing the small icons in the apps screen.

I just realized how negative all this sounds and I really don't mean to seem negative. I do love the watch I think it's a great improvement over the previous model.

Ok back to some more customization attempts. Hope I been a little help. Again please don't take this all negative I don't mean it to sound that way.

mari dub

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Shaggy for the information. Coming from a Gear 2 neo i am going tonmiss ths ability to make phone calls over WiFi. I also have android wear in my gear 2 neo and love the fact that google maps works on the watch.

Mznik60620

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I came from a Gear 2 and so far I am missing my camera and that's pretty much it. I didn't take many calls on my Gear 2 but I kind of think I'm gonna miss the option of being able to do so. I have decided that I am keeping both watches so that I can change out periodically. I have had the S2 for 1 week now and so far I like it a lot. I haven't fully decided if it is worth the switch yet but it is a nice watch and something new. I guess it depends on what you want out of the watch. There is a map app on the watch but I haven't really put it to use yet to confirm how accurate it is. I have found that the pedometer doesn't seem to track all of my steps and I'm not too happy about that but I do appreciate the notification if I have been sitting still for an hour, it reminds me to get up and move.

Mznik60620

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Also the apps are limited for the S2. I thought the same apps available for the Gear 2 would be available for the S2 but that's not the case

SMD

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Shaggy for the information. Coming from a Gear 2 neo i am going tonmiss ths ability to make phone calls over WiFi. I also have android wear in my gear 2 neo and love the fact that google maps works on the watch.

You have the same setup as I do (Neo and Note 5). I've had the Gear 2 Neo for over a year now and how I "thought" I'd use it became a bit different from how I do use it. I do like it and have debated like crazy getting a Gear S2. For me, if I didn't have the Neo already, I'd jump on the Gear S2. But like you, I already have a solid smartwatch. And truthfully, the one thing that keeps me from getting the Gear S2 is the lack of a speakerphone. So in comes the 3G version and it solves that. But I have an old unlimited data plan with Verizon so I can't add any new lines. So what I might do (I'm also still in debate) is get the 3G version on my friend's plan, then cancel the plan but keep the watch. I'm pretty sure you can do that. Then I won't have the 3G ability but I'll still have the ability to take and make calls over BT which is what we do already with the Neo. So that's what I'd recommend you do as well since it appears you too value the ability to make/receive calls. It's definitely a feature that went from "eh, who needs that" before I got the Neo, to "must-have" for me after having a smartwatch with that capability for a year.

FWIW, I might hold off still in the hopes they come out with a 3G version of the Classic watch. Then I'd jump on it. Who knows if that will ever come, but until then I guess I have a really good smart watch that's a little less stylish and doesn't have nearly the polished UI that the Gear S2 has.

supersoulfly

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm not happy not having found a watch face that allows me to have what I want on it that being the pedometer (steps only) and my new notifications icon along with time and date. I don't like having to scroll to get this information.

The stock face Modern Utility can show steps, a notifications icon, time and date.

Screen-20151203090536.png

mari dub

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
You have the same setup as I do (Neo and Note 5). I've had the Gear 2 Neo for over a year now and how I "thought" I'd use it became a bit different from how I do use it. I do like it and have debated like crazy getting a Gear S2. For me, if I didn't have the Neo already, I'd jump on the Gear S2. But like you, I already have a solid smartwatch. And truthfully, the one thing that keeps me from getting the Gear S2 is the lack of a speakerphone. So in comes the 3G version and it solves that. But I have an old unlimited data plan with Verizon so I can't add any new lines. So what I might do (I'm also still in debate) is get the 3G version on my friend's plan, then cancel the plan but keep the watch. I'm pretty sure you can do that. Then I won't have the 3G ability but I'll still have the ability to take and make calls over BT which is what we do already with the Neo. So that's what I'd recommend you do as well since it appears you too value the ability to make/receive calls. It's definitely a feature that went from "eh, who needs that" before I got the Neo, to "must-have" for me after having a smartwatch with that capability for a year.

FWIW, I might hold off still in the hopes they come out with a 3G version of the Classic watch. Then I'd jump on it. Who knows if that will ever come, but until then I guess I have a really good smart watch that's a little less stylish and doesn't have nearly the polished UI that the Gear S2 has.

Thanks for that tid bit of information. I do not think you can get a watch and just cancel the line without paying the disconnect fee, which is why I have not went and got one from Verizon. I had the opportunity to get the GS2 for under $235 but I do not want to rot my GS2. It needs to come with everything stock and ready to roll. Hence my dilima...I love the bezel and the features, but Tizen and a lack of Apps that I use i.e google music, maps, and googe now cards keeps me from geting the Gs2.

Posted via Note 5 or tab S 10.5

SMD

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for that tid bit of information. I do not think you can get a watch and just cancel the line without paying the disconnect fee, which is why I have not went and got one from Verizon. I had the opportunity to get the GS2 for under $235 but I do not want to rot my GS2. It needs to come with everything stock and ready to roll. Hence my dilima...I love the bezel and the features, but Tizen and a lack of Apps that I use i.e google music, maps, and googe now cards keeps me from geting the Gs2.

Hmmm. I was told otherwise. If you buy it off contract, you're not obligated to any 2 year commitment. Cancel the plan and keep the watch running like the Neo on BT (and wifi) with no 3G. Almost positive you can do this with no disconnect fee or anything like that.

haus

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm. I was told otherwise. If you buy it off contract, you're not obligated to any 2 year commitment. Cancel the plan and keep the watch running like the Neo on BT (and wifi) with no 3G. Almost positive you can do this with no disconnect fee or anything like that.
This should work, I would think, though there have been times when carriers wouldn't sell a network-capable device without at least forcing you to add a line before you leave the store. If someone doesn't want to do that (even to cancel later), avoid the hassle by finding one on ebay and never involving the carrier at all. Just turn off mobile networks and use the bluetooth/wifi.

Shame they removed that functionality from the base model to begin with.

mari dub

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
I honestly would rather buy the classic for $349, and not have to pay for additional data. this comes from the verizon website. $299 with 2 year contract and $349 for buying outright. seems a litle insane to me personally.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-12-03-09-46-01.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-12-03-09-46-01.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 84

mari dub

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Update:

I decided to trade in my gear 2 neo at best buy. I was able to get $50 dollars for my gear 2, which i wasn't expecting. I also was able to gwy a great deal on the s2. All-in-all i will see if i am happy with my purchase.

Attachments

• 9493.jpg
    9493.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 39

audri5

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
Still happy? I'm getting to the point of hating mine. I gave up the fabulous gear S for this crap!

Posted via the Android Central App

mari dub

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Still happy? I'm getting to the point of hating mine. I gave up the fabulous gear S for this crap!

Posted via the Android Central App

I am very happy. 9923.jpgi decided to switch to the classic. I like the feel of the eatch better and I like being able to change to any watch band.

gsk3rd

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
I have had mine for 3 days(xmas) and so far I dig it. I also do not expect this to replace my phone and understand the limits of it. It can only get better from here.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non