Will We Ever See Mainstream Apps

A0425A

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
I thought for sure with the end of CES we'd start to see some more apps for the Gear S2. I'm not taking about fringe apps no one uses but mainstream apps like Amazon, Twitter and Facebook, etc. But still nothing. Watch faces are nice but they are not apps. Will we ever see them?

tstreete

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
Since launch, uber, ebay, and some smaller companies have come out with apps (Komoot, parkmobile, e.g.). So the short answer to your question is yes, but whether the trickle will ever turn into a flood and include Facebook and the like, only time will tell.

Posted via the Android Central App

Amochi013

May 30, 2014
Visit site
I think if the watch sales are good enough, companies might invest in making an app for the watch.

Amochi013

May 30, 2014
Visit site
Any idea how sales have been? I think better internationally than in the US.

I don't know specific numbers but based on how many people I see wearing the watch, I don't think many.(I have seen more apple watches)

A0425A

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
I don't know specific numbers but based on how many people I see wearing the watch, I don't think many.(I have seen more apple watches)

While I live in the deep south, I live in a technology rich area and I work in tech. I have to say I don't see a lot of wearables all together. My wife has an iPhone so I got her an Apple Watch for Christmas. It is nice but it is also not without issues. Tomorrow is my R-Day. So I guess I'll make my decision then on keep or return. I'm leaning towards the former.

A0425A

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
So it's been over a month since this post and while we've seen a pretty nice update for the S2 we still haven't seen much in mainstream app development. I guess I'll be OK with the watch being a notification center. I feel it does that function well (when paired with a Galaxy phone). I also think it's better than AW in some ways (not a fan of card notifications). As of this post I also feel the style, hardware and UI are superior to any AW offering (AMOLED and Tizen UI specifically). I know most point to Google's voice recognition as being leaps and bounds better than S Voice but the last update gives me hope that Samsung recognizes they need to improve S Voice to be a viable player in this space. Thoughts?

rld082982

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
I don't understand. What kind of apps do you want? Facebook on a watch? Why? At that point, just whip out your phone, tablet, laptop, desktop.

Amochi013

May 30, 2014
Visit site
I don't understand. What kind of apps do you want? Facebook on a watch? Why? At that point, just whip out your phone, tablet, laptop, desktop.

What I just really want is samsung pay on the watch!